matthew gill of thirsk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matthew gill of thirsk

can anyone give me some ideas on the following problem please?

matthew gill, labourer and his wife anne had 4 children:

1) thomas c.1811-1814 thirsk
    2) dorothy b.1815 thirsk
    3) francis b.1819 thirsk (d.1905 middridge durham)
    4) john 1824-1825 thirsk

francis is my ancestor, and well documented. i can't find any further info on matthew and anne, no census/burials/deaths. they are not the couple in sherburn in elmet in west yorks, they are having kids at the same time.

i think matthew was b.1792 at thirsk, son of thomas gill and elizabeth cayton. i think the likely marriage of matthew could be in 1810 at york to anne barker, but image isn't online anywhere. and i can't spot a birth for their son thomas, just a burial. also, can't spot anything for dorothy.

does anyone have any suggestions?

Kyle, not sure if on the right track but found Matthew Gill burial at Burton Leonard Yorkshire born 1791. Burial 7 Sep 1837.

Just looked on map and about 17 miles away from Thirsk by road.

Will have a look for some more later,
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Been having another look but not very confident about anything but this is the best I have found for Dorothy.

Dorothy Gill marries either John Barton, John Metcalfe or Charles Rose in 1843 at Thirsk.. Looked for children and found no baps but some Metcalfe children MMN Gill. Still can't match anything up to John and Dorothy.
      Then I found a burial for Dorothy Metcalfe on 16 Mar 1854 at Masham Yorks born 1818, about 10 miles from Thirsk.

This is as far as I have got but if I don't put it here will get myself lost.
      Lin

Comment

The Matthew in Burton Leonard appears to start having children there around 1823 (parents Matthew & Ellen), although there is also a baptism to Matthew & Ellen Gill in either Sawley or Ripon in 1818, and a marriage in Ripon in 1818 between Matthew Gill & Ellen Dobby.

Given the close proximity of the following places to Thirsk, I wonder if these could be anything to do with him?

Calendar of prisoners in the House of Correction at Northallerton who are to be tried at the Quarter Sessions to be held on 1 May 1821 [….]
        Matthew Gill aged 28 years, for vagrancy.

Bill of indictment of James Gears labourer and Matthew Gill labourer, both late of the House of Correction at Northallerton, for stealing two planes value 4d and one spoke shave value 2d, the property of Robert Elmer. Offence committed at the township of Low Kilburn on 15 August 1821

Bill of indictment of James Gears labourer and Matthew Gill labourer, both late of the House of Correction at Northallerton for stealing two iron gavelocks value 4d and ten stones weight of iron value 4d, the property of Thomas Weatherill Offence committed at the township of Sutton under Whitestonecliffe on 15 August 1821

The above is from the North Yorkshire Records Office, but oddly, Matthew seems to be listed as Matthew White in the court records. He & James Gears each got 6-months.

Just wondering out loud, could Matthew have done a vanishing act after this and John wasn't actually his?

Could the Matthew Gill who married Ann Turnbull at Haydon Bridge in 1820 be connected in any way?

Comment

thank you both for the ideas. i'm really stuck on them, as the last sighting is in thirsk in 1825. no burials in thirsk, so assuming they moved away at some point. francis married in 1840 at felixkirk, and was living in boltby at the time of marriage. both of these villages are close to thirsk. his wife was from nearby knayton, and they stayed in the area for a few years post marriage, before moving to durham. but it really is puzzling why i can't find a trace of his parents. perhaps the thief is my matthew?

i have often wondered if matthew had another family, either concurrently or anne died and he remarried.

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
            Been having another look but not very confident about anything but this is the best I have found for Dorothy.

Dorothy Gill marries either John Barton, John Metcalfe or Charles Rose in 1843 at Thirsk.. Looked for children and found no baps but some Metcalfe children MMN Gill. Still can't match anything up to John and Dorothy.
            Then I found a burial for Dorothy Metcalfe on 16 Mar 1854 at Masham Yorks born 1818, about 10 miles from Thirsk.

This is as far as I have got but if I don't put it here will get myself lost.
            there are two dorothy metcalfe's near masham in 1851- both in bedale, born in masham and langthorne respectively. so neither are mine.

Comment

Kyle, I thought about that afterwards but didn't have time to look but they can now be eliminated. Also thought last night whether the whole family had changed their name but what teasie has found sounds a good lead.

Good luck with them.
              Lin

Comment

I started looking last night in the papers. The court case was in there and he was given 6 months hard labour and I wonder if this displaces people and they never go back.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Nothing positive for Dorothy but ? eliminate the 1943 Thirsk marriage

Ellen Jackson
                  FM P The Leeds Intelligence June 24 1943
                  Tuesday last at Independent Chapel, Thirsk Mr Charles Rose of Sutton under Whitestonecliffe married Miss Ellen Jackson of Thirkleby

Jane Dorothy Jefferson
                  1851 Barnsley
                  Jane Dorothy Metcalf 37
                  John Parker Metcalf 36
                  Josh Jefferson Metcalf b 1847 Thirsk mm n on GRO Jefferson
                  Ellen Louisa 0 b Barnsley mm n on GRO Jeffersoon

Dorothy Gill
                  1851 Lutterton, Lincs trans Sutterton on Ancestry
                  Dorothy Barton b Topcliffe, Yorks 1813
                  John Barton b 1816 Lutterton, Lincs
                  William Barton b 1840 Tanfield, York
                  Thomas 1843 Dalton, Yorks
                  Bananas Barton b 1845 Lutterton mm n Gibson in GRO
                  John Barton b 1849 Lutterton mm n Gibson in GRO

1841 Dalton, Yorkshire
                  Dorothy Gill Widow/Labourer 29 +/- bic
                  John 1836
                  Hannah b 1835
                  Mary 1837
                  William 1839

EDIT. FM P The York Herald Saturday 20 May 1843
                  On Thursday 18th inst
                  at the Registrar's Office Thirsk
                  Mr John Barton of Sowerby to Mrs Dorothy Gill of Dalton

Marriage Ripon 1830 Dorothy Gibson to Wm Gill

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 20-03-22, 06:02.

Comment

In ancestry there is a marriage in 1844 to Jonas Jackson - father William nail maker

​​​​​​5 Feb 1844 Bingley, All Saints, Yorkshire, England so eliminates the Keighley one

can't see any other Yorkshire ones?

but could be before registration.

kylejustin where did Francis go, assuming he stuck to the same name. No family mentioned on any certs?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I've always thought dorothy died as a child, as no evidence of her as an adult.

francis married in 1840 at felixkirk to jane powton. Wittnesses henry burns and valentine milner. They don't seem to be connected to either family, and have wondered if they were their employers.

i think francis was the only "survivor" of his family.

Comment

Working...
                      X