Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FInd someone via marriage banns only?

Hello

Is it possible to find records of marriage banns only, where a marriage didn't actually take place?
    I have the man's name and am getting the info on the woman's name - I'm researching for a friend.

Thanks for any help
    Arthur

Some Banns records are indexed. I have a side branch in London around 1800 who apparently approached marriage twice but only the banns were found, no actual marriage, so apparently the parties went their separate ways.

Comment

I have a male relative. Could see the 'Marriage' indexed on England, Select Marriages 1538- 1973 giving church. No further confirmation on Census. Family Search had image which recorded that 'Banns lapsed'

Vera

Comment

Any idea in which parish the couple lived? Are you able to give names or a timeframe? Alternatively there may have been an engagement announcement in a local paper, or a court case for breach of promise.

(I have a marriage licence for which the marriage never took place but have not found the lady concerned, and a breach of promise court case where the I know both parties though they had not got as far as banns.)

Comment

I have seen quite a few Banns books where the date of the marriage has been written in beside the Banns details. Some of them are left blank but does this mean the marriage did not take place or just that the vicar forgot to make a note! However I have seen some which are crossed through and presume this means the marriage did not take place. I do have an instance in one of my trees (can't remember who!!) of seeing the Banns for my male rellie crossed through and then finding a later marriage to someone else. Did the woman die or just change her mind?!
          Anne

Comment

I have banns between Frances Ripley and Mary Roberts in 1798 in Kegworth Leicestershire. The first one is read out then underneath it said 'forbid by Mary Roberts'

He married 2 years later.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Many thanks for your responses and apologies for the delay on replying.

Here are the details of the parties:
              Adrienne Anne Aley
              B; 31 10 1935
              D; 7 11 2013

Richard and/or Patrick Condon, known as a salesman
              Correct name unknown, as is not listed on the child's they had, birth cert
              He was from Ireland, unfortunately there are lots of men with this name combo. It's not known where in Ireland. He worked in Melton Mowbrauy which is how they got together.

Adrienne became pregnant, the child was born in 1955, and the story is the banns were going to be read but the marriage did not take place as he hopped back to Ireland where he was married with 2 sons.
              The local protestant church in Melton Mowbray was St Mary's.

That's all I have.
              AT
              Last edited by Arthurteacake; 21-03-22, 17:34.

Comment

When researching for someone else I found a set of Banns which wasn't followed by a marriage, no explanation given. A little bit of delving into the newspapers revealed the groom was arrested the night before the wedding. They did eventually marry a few years later.
                Barbara

Comment

I have checked FMP and Fami!y Search who have Leics marriages and banns but can't see any records that go as far as 1955.

Vera

Comment

That's kind of you Vera, thank you 😊
                    AT

Comment

Working...
                    X