Death certs - causes help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death certs - causes help please

I hope someone may be able to help clarify for me, please, the order of causes listed on a death certificate.

Regarding a lady who died in1929, aged 64:

1 (a) Carcinoma of spine
    (b) Carcinoma of breast.

And another who died in 1951 aged 64:

1 (a) Carcinoma of lungs
    (b) Carcinoma of breast

Do you know if this means they contracted breast cancer and it then spread to spine/lungs, which was then the cause of death? I.e. does the order indicate which was primary and which was secondary?

I have seen on other certificates that a pre-existing condition, e.g Diabetes, was listed as a separate no. 2.

I should be most grateful for any shared knowledge, please.

Carol

1(a) is the "Disease or condition directly leading to death" i.e. that is the cause of death

1(b) is the disease of condition which led to 1(a)

You might sometimes get a 1(c) which was the condition which led to 1(b) ...... I think Scottish registers even go to 1(d) occasionally.

Anything listed as 2 or II is defined as "other significant conditions CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH but not related to the disease or condition causing it.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Very clear explanation Anthony and yes, Scotland does occasionally go to 1(d). I’ve seen some on my visits to Edinburgh over the years. Can’t remember if any were my lot or not - could have been other folks’ trees that I have doing.

Comment

Antony,

Thank you so much for responding with such a very clear explanation.

It will be an enormous help to me in understanding the familial/genetic implications.

Sincere appreciation
        Carol

Comment

It looks like to me, that breast cancer was the original cancer and that it spread to the spine and lungs in your examples.

if these people are closely related to you, and you haven't already, would be worth testing for the breast cancer gene.

Comment

Kyle,

Thank you for your concern, which is very much appreciated.

My Goddaughter has two living relatives with breast cancer, but she does not at present meet the criteria for testing. At her request, I am tracking back through her family history for further information.

Again, my thanks.
            Carol

Comment

Working...
            X