missing birth GRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing birth GRO

can anyone see the birth of esther elizabeth gill in 1851 on the GRO? freebmd has it in auckland, and it shows on the durham RO website too. but even putting in surname gill and vol and page number it's not there? wondering if it was missed vs mangled? mother's name powton/poughton. of the 12 children in all, i can only find 10 on the GRO. the other missing child is john gill c.1859 witton park, which should be weardale but can't spot him either.

This from ancestry transcript of the index so at least you have the reference number. Have tried every combo of first letter with ill and it’s deffo not on GRO online index!
    Esther Elizabeth Gill
    Jul-Aug-Sep
    Auckland, Durham, England
    vol 24
    page 23
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 10-03-22, 14:55.

Comment

I looked too, looks like it is missing? So annoying that you can't just search the page.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

There are quite a lot missing and its not always whole swathes of them. I tried looking for names which are shown on the page image on FreeBMD close to the one I was looking for and they were there! The indexers must have skipped a line .... or were they going through paper certificates and two got stuck together ..... or maybe it had got lost between original indexing and making the digital version. Who knows!
        Anne

Comment

Whilst there are no doubt errors in the new GRO on-line index , as there are (many) in the old printed indexes, one of the most common reasons for not finding something is that the two indexes have been complied using different indexing rules. So getting a different result is actually to be expected (and can be useful) in some cases.

It may have been missed or it may have been transcribed differently ( the new transcription was done from images of the GRO copy of the register entries, not by looking at paper certificates, and not just by looking at the existing indexes).

Even if you don't find it on the GRO system, you can still order it using the references you have.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 10-03-22, 17:31.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks everyone. I remember when the indexes were released with mother's name that there were some i couldn't find. I know not all entries in the old indexes are in the new one too.

i did have to order a few the old way a fortnight ago, when some infant deaths weren't in the online index.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              I looked too, looks like it is missing? So annoying that you can't just search the page.
              It would be nice to search on district, volume and page number. That way you could see if mangled. But have to have a surname. I also find the 2 year either side a bit restrictive, especially if searching with mother's name.

Comment

If it is missing then you can notify GRO and get it entered on their system. I have done this successfully with births and deaths.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'll have to do that, thanks julie.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    I'll have to do that, thanks julie.

there you go
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X