Help finding Margaret Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding Margaret Mitchell

I have hit a brick wall trying to find the death date of the widow of a Robert MITCHELL who died 23 May 1884 at Henrietta Street, Galston, Ayrshire.
    The widow Margaret (born as Margaret Dykes BAIRD in 1842 in Galston) was known to be alive the year following her husband's death as she appears on a valuation roll but after that, I have lost her.
    There are no grave photos or bios on billiongraves or findagrave and nothing of use in ancestry trees.
    I have asked on an FB group if anybody has a copy of the MI booklet for Galston but no luck so far.
    I have tried a simple search on Deceased Online for Robert but it's hopeless with a sub or having purchased something with the last 6 months (which I haven't). All I can get is that there are over 1500 gravestones in East Ayrshire district for the surname MITCHELL but the list won't even break it down into the different graveyards. highly likely there are that number in total as the surname is a local fixture since time immemorial and probably most of them are related to me somehow

If anybody could find him and let me know the death date for anybody else in the same grave that would be brilliant. Many thanks.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-03-22, 17:53.

Deceased Online is Pay per View, not subscription, so to obtain any sort of detail people would have to use up their own (paid for) credits.

You can purchase credits for as little as £5.

Comment

This what I found on their help page about Advanced Search. I am reluctant to pay £5 in order to search and find nothing. If I knew the person was actually in the database then I'm quite happy to pay up and get the entry.

"Access advanced searching

All searching of the Deceased Online database is free. Simple searching does not require registration. However we reserve more detailed location information (cemetery and crematorium names) and Advanced Searching for our registered users who have purchased at least one pay-per-view voucher within the last six months or have a subscription.

Once you have registered and purchased a pay-per-view voucher or a subscription you will have access to the advanced search and richer search results which will help you identify the people you are looking for more precisely. Searching is still free, and voucher(s) can then be redeemed to view register scans, maps or other details as available.

Vouchers last for a period of 6 months, which will be extended if you purchase further vouchers before the expiry date.

Please either login or register to proceed."

Comment

have you got it yet Galloway ?I have some credits if you still need a look up

Comment

Not yet Val. Will pm you.

Comment

is this her in 1891

Comment

maybe her burial
              https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource
              Last edited by Guest; 09-03-22, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                That's the one I thought might be her but I can't get the connection to the people she's visiting.

Comment

dont know whether its me but I cannot find any relevant burial records for Ayrshire
                  But there are quite a few records for Margaret Mitchell Graves, in Ayrshire here on Ancestry

Comment

Nope, not her. That death in Kilmaurs in 1892 was for a woman aged 20.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

That's the one I thought might be her but I can't get the connection to the people she's visiting.
                      maybe she is just the servant to them ?

Comment

dont know whether its me but I cannot find any relevant burial records for Ayrshire
                        But there are quite a few records for Margaret Mitchell Graves, in Ayrshire here on Ancestry

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/ca...ority=scottish
                        Thanks Val. I narrowed down the list a bit but she's not on it. Most frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Think Jeannie is Margaret's sister. She moved to Paterson NJ in 1894/1897. Another sister Janet also emigrates.

Wonder if Margaret remarried

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 09-03-22, 19:06.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Think Jeannie is Margaret's sister. She moved to Paterson NJ in 1894/1897. Another sister Janet also emigrates.

Wonder if Margaret remarried

Vera
                            Now that IS news! I only have Margaret's siblings as per baptisms on ScotlandsPeople and there were just 6 children including Margaret and the youngest was Hugh born 1851. Now I find on familysearch, there were 8. Jean arrived 5 years after Hugh and a Janet 10 years after him. The first Janet presumably died in childhood? So at least I now know Margaret was alive on census day 1891.

I've checked all the parishes surrounding Galston in a wide arc for a remarriage 1891 plus but no joy. The one that had a MITCHELL / BAIRD combo of surnames for the bride turned out to be the wrong woman.

It's weird that I can't even find a death entry on ancestry for Robert.

Comment

I cannot find either ones death records ,I wondered if she maybe emigrated too??

Comment

I can see Margaret Mitchell, Widow b Scotland February 1841, in Paterson NJ 1915 census. Not seeing her after that.

Vera

Comment

that 1891 census she says unmarried rather than Widow? so maybe not her

Comment

Margaret Mitchell in the 1910 NJ census. Age ???68 b Scotland. Emi/Immigrated 1892. One child still alive. Could be Thomas B who is with Aunt Janet Baird in 1881

Vera
                                    Last edited by vera2013; 09-03-22, 20:38.

Comment

Roberts death cert
                                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-v...=successSource

sorry I misunderstood thought you did not have his death

Last edited by Guest; 10-03-22, 18:40.

Comment

Working...
                                      X