Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rachel Mary Williams

Hi Guys,

I wonder could you help, I have been unable to locate my great grandmother in the 1921 census. Her name is Rachel Mary Williams born in 1885 in Abercarn. On the 1911 census she is in pontypool as a servant with William James Eastup ( I think that is how it is spelt) she had my grandcha in 1911 on Christmas Eve in St woolos workhouse and left him there to be adopted. I am not sure with such a common name in Wales if she married or left the country as the field is so wide. I would be grateful for any help. I have Rachel’s birth certificate and her mother’s name is Jane Stranks.

thanks in advance

Sarah

have you tried the same household? I can see that there is still a Rachel there

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/...0wales&sid=999

Did Rachel not have a father on BC? and an occupation

what is her DoB?
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-03-22, 23:54.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I'm presuming that you subscribe to FMP? the 1921 cens is exclusive to FMP at the moment. I'm not sure if anyone would have any tips or tricks that could help you search any better.

I don't have FMP but I do have ancestry. Not that that helps you atm though.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Following on from Carolyn, I put Rachael in born 1885 in Panteg living with David John and Racheal Moore came up born 1885. Could it be her. Without paying it is hard to see any more.

Sorry. just though I would have a look back at 1911 and David and Rachael Moore are married. So looks like the Rachael living with David John Lougher is a different age!!
        Last edited by Lin Fisher; 07-03-22, 13:35.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

could do with dob and she maybe on 1939 register, if get lucky with exact match, and that could give her married name, if indeed she has one.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

There is a Rachel Williams b 1883 Parish Abergavenny Urban, same Parish as that of David J and Sarah in 1921. Could still be her but would need to purchase transcript.

Vera

Comment

There is also a Rachel M Williams in an institute in 1939, she is listed as a servant and not married. This could also be a candidate?
              Julie

Comment

Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies. I have been looking for Rachel for years. She was born in 1885 in Abercarn, South Wales. Father Williams Mother Jane Williams ( nee Stranks). In 1911 she was living in Panteg - servant to I believe the Loghers. She gave birth to my Grandfather 24/11/1911 in the workhouse and left him there. I have not been able to find her since then. I have not got a subscription to find my past only ancestry at the mo and the link does not work unless I purchase it. It’s so difficult with a name like Williams. Could CBCarolyn tell me what the details of the 1921 transcription says please? I am desperate to find out what happened to her for my dad. He is 84 and getting quite frail.

thanks in advance
                sarah

Comment

Rachel was also one of approx 10 children - in 1891 I have her with her family. 1901 can’t find her, 1911 in panteg with William James Eastup. She was born November 1885 in Abercarn ( sometimes called Trinant)

Comment

Originally posted by Saree75 View Post
                    Rachel was also one of approx 10 children - in 1891 I have her with her family. 1901 can’t find her, 1911 in panteg with William James Eastup. She was born November 1885 in Abercarn ( sometimes called Trinant)
                    If you post her exact DOB from the birth cert, it is possible to search 1939 register just for Rachels born on that exact date, with no need to include surname in the search. I’ve done that in the past and successfully found people that way...
                    You’d then need to go through the results of course to winnow them down. You could get lucky with not too many results to go through.

Christine
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 17-08-22, 03:38.
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Date of birth 30/11/1884 in Trinant, Abercarn. I know this is the correct Rachel as I have been to the archives in Ebbw Vale and got the records from the workhouse where my grampy was born. Like I have said previously it’s so hard to find her with a name like Rachel Mary Williams. Any help would be really appreciated

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Saree75 View Post
                        Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies. I have been looking for Rachel for years. She was born in 1885 in Abercarn, South Wales. Father Williams Mother Jane Williams ( nee Stranks). In 1911 she was living in Panteg - servant to I believe the Loghers. She gave birth to my Grandfather 24/11/1911 in the workhouse and left him there. I have not been able to find her since then. I have not got a subscription to find my past only ancestry at the mo and the link does not work unless I purchase it. It’s so difficult with a name like Williams. Could CBCarolyn tell me what the details of the 1921 transcription says please? I am desperate to find out what happened to her for my dad. He is 84 and getting quite frail.

thanks in advance
                        sarah
                        sorry I missed this. The 1921 census is not included in any subscription package the record has to be purchased,

Another play about with the search and I can see that it is a Rachel Williams born 1883 Monmouthsire - so could well be your lady, as ages are often a little wrong.

David John Lougher born 1863 is the head of the household

You should be able to follow the link and purchase the record.

Have you followed all of her siblings? she could be on one of their records such as a witness to a wedding.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

David John Lougher died in 1948, and left a lot of money, bit of a long shot but if Rachel was still alive he may have left her something, not looked

his wife also left a substantial sum, but maybe that all went to husband

Wills are only £1.50 from probate.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

in the 1930s David John Lougher is living in the Rick and is on reg electors

I can also see that in the same period there is a rachel Williams also living at that address

in 1939 David is on the register at the Elms, I think it is same man, but on his own no Rachel or wife in fact. and reg of electors not kept during war.

I think the Rick in Ogmore on Sea is another residence that they had, as I notice that one says his residence is Abergavenny. Could be that Rachel and wife are there in 1939?

Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              There is also a Rachel M Williams in an institute in 1939, she is listed as a servant and not married. This could also be a candidate?
                              I think that this may well be the correct lady, at the Angleton Mental Hospital.

Although the top of the page says "Penybont RD (part of)", Angleton Mental Hospital (now Glanrhyd Hospital) was in Bridgend, 5 miles or so from Ogmore, where Carolyn found her in the 1939 electoral register.

Glamorganshire Archives appear to hold quite a lot of records: http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/TreeB...y=DHGL%2F9%2F2

Confirmation that Angleton, the County Mental Asylum, and Glanrhyd Hospital are the same place: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ls.asp?id=2472

Comment

Looks like she died shortly afterwards, probably in the asylum:

WILLIAMS, RACHEL MARY aged 54 GRO Reference: 1939 S Quarter in BRIDGEND Volume 11A Page 710
                                Last edited by teasie; 25-08-22, 04:12.

Comment

Hello Teasie. I was just about to post but lost charge. Then saw the previous posts.
                                  I agree, Rachel Mary A possible candidate for Angelton Hospital. I checked out possible for 1939 with November dob and could not see anything for Rachel M other than the 1939 at Angelton. Unfortunately no full dob to help confirm.

In 1939 David Lougher recorded as married but no Sarah Ann. There is a Domestic Servant recorded Mary A ?Adlam or Parry

Vera

Last edited by vera2013; 25-08-22, 04:40.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                    Looks like she died shortly afterwards, probably in the asylum:

WILLIAMS, RACHEL MARY aged 54 GRO Reference: 1939 S Quarter in BRIDGEND Volume 11A Page 710
                                    awwww 54 is no age is it? Always makes me sad when someone dies so young.

Julie

Comment

Sleep overcame me, I had reached same conclusion, not sure what the death cert will bring.

I found a couple of newspaper articles that confirmed David owned the Elms in the 1920s and also on his death, the Ogmore place must have been their second residence, presumably a 'summer' home.

The only glimmer of hope was to find Sarah Ann Lougher in 1939, but I couldn't locate her.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

As you suggest would be good to track 1939 Sarah Ann Lougher just in case Rachel Mary is with her. Did my usual middle of the night searching couldn't find her.

That 1921 looks good. Lesson learned for me widen dob for searchI

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X