Newspapers.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspapers.com

I'm thinking of taking out a sub to Newspapers.com and wondering if anyone has any comment to make about which plan to go for? I don't have any direct ancestors from outside the UK but my DNA investigations often lead to descendants in the USA and Canada, as well as Australia and New Zealand.

I'm mainly looking for obituaries and family announcement type articles, rather than historical events, so I'm hoping the Basic plan would be useful for that. I'm not sure from the website exactly what you get for the much more expensive Publisher Extra plan?
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 05-03-22, 08:20.

Hi Anne,

I have ancestry, but decided to do a stand alone 6 month subscription for the basic Newspapers.com, rather than add it to my ancestry sub. This is in the hopes that it will make things easier if I do not renew Newspapers.com. I have set it to do not renew, so we shall see...

Positives - like ancestry, it is really easy to search, you can zoom in and out, and zero in to print the bit you want. I like the fact that you can have the citation added, or not. I much prefer Newspapers.com rather than the clunky British newspapers site.

Negatives - like you, I am looking for obits, marriages etc for families who emigrated to the USA or Canada. Out of a potential 20 or so, I have found 3 obituaries. I think it helps in they are in smaller towns rather than cities. Or perhaps my rellies were too poor, too cheap or too boring to warrant a write up!

I won't be renewing in June, and I think I will just google the places they lived in, and see if they have an online historical newspaper and try that way.

Hope this helps,

bcbrit

George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I do keep getting newspaper hints on Ancestry and it is frustrating not to be able to see them. Although, of course, they may well be the wrong hints!

Anne

Comment

US newspaper archives are not limited to newspapers.com. There are some small/individual/standalone sites (which are being snapped up), some state sponsored, but another big commercial site is genealogybank.com.

Edited to correct website name!
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 06-03-22, 17:24.

Comment

I see that they are getting UK papers on there now. Beds on Sunday is new in!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            US newspaper archives are not limited to newspapers.com. There are some small/individual/standalone sites (which are being snapped up), some state sponsored, but another big commercial site is genalogybank.com.
            Thanks, Sarah. Oops, a bit of a typo in your website name took me to a different site altogether! Fortunately not malicious, just advertising Ancestry, Scotland's People and My Heritage. I nearly gave up and then spotted it might be an error. I will bookmark the real site, looks useful.
            Anne

Comment

Thanks cbcarolyn I didn't realise there were British papers on there too. I have now noticed that it shows which papers are only available to the Plus plan. That includes Beds on Sunday!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                Thanks cbcarolyn I didn't realise there were British papers on there too. I have now noticed that it shows which papers are only available to the Plus plan. That includes Beds on Sunday!

Anne
                quite recent editions sadly (1980s), but wonder how quickly they will expand the UK coverage. Could be good value for money if there were some different UK ones
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                X