Fold 3 record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fold 3 record

Could some kind person please look at what's in this record for me? I can't find it in TNA Discovery catalogue and FMP isn't bringing it up either although they do have another Royal Hospital Chelsea dataset.

Abt 1855 is his birth year (birth date 14 May 1856) and 5 December 1882 his pension admission /examination date. P = Private and 1630 = service number.

I eventually found his marriage to Margaret TRAINOR / TRAINER in Belfast 1880 at which point he was living in the Royal Barracks, Dublin. Margaret died 1898 in Glasgow and he is supposed to then have married an Isabella MARTIN. I have her baptism and death both in Glasgow but there's no sign of an actual marriage. His parents were James MITCHELL and Agnes PARKER.

UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges, 1715-1925
    Alexander Mitchell
    abt 1855
    Barony, Glasgow
    5 Dec 1882
    2nd Dragoons
    P.

Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-02-22, 03:04.

The document is headed 'Claims to Pension submitted by the Chelsea Board' and contains details for several people.

2nd Dragoons, Private Alastair Mitchell, 1630
    Former Corps: 2Dr (?) HR(?) Mob 2/11(??)
    Class for Pension (followed by lots of numbers that look like years/months being totted up)
    Pension in pence: (can't make out the number - possibly 17?)
    Character: Fair
    Good Conduct Badges: 0
    Disability/Cause of Discharge: Secondary Syphilis in 1876 probably aggravated by irregular habits.
    Born: Barony, Glasgow
    Trade: Hammerman
    Height: 5ft 8 & half inches
    Hair, Eyes, Complexion: Brown/Blue/Fresh
    Intended Residence: 11 Fountainwell(?) Road, Sidehill, Glasgow
    Date of Discharge: 5 Dec 1882

Comment

Msny thanks teasie.

Alastair ?? The record index says Alexander.

More info found this morning;

It’s definitely him though as the family lived at 11 Fountainwell Road which is Sighthill. He is there with his wife and family 1891 census and his father is living with them. His father died at 11 Fountainwell Road in October that year.
      He must have enlisted between census day 1871 where he is at home and 1880 when he gets married in Belfast and left service by 6 August 1881 when his first child James was born at 52 Arbour Hill, Dublin North district which is 5 minutes walk from The Royal Barracks now known as Collins Barracks.
      The informant was neither him nor Margaret but an Ann O’Dowd (illiterate) of the same address the child was born at.
      Alexander’s address on that certificate is given as 33 Fountainwell Road, Sighthill, Glasgow and his occupation is a smith’s helper. However, he is not on the 1881 census in mainland Great Britain. There are 25 households at 33 Fountainwell Road and there’s nobody connected to him through married siblings, known cousins etc.
      The houses of the period in Fountainwell Road are gone now. The road overlooks the massive Sighthill cemetery.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-02-22, 11:29.

Comment

Sorry, Alastair was my typo - no idea why that name was in my head!!!

His enlistment is also on Fold3 (and FmP).

For the question 'where, when, by whom, and for what Regiment, Brigade or Corps were you enlisted or were you enlisted for General Service?' he answers "2nd Dragoons at Glasgow on the 20th of April 1874 at 1 O'Clock pm by Peter Cruse Rohan RO Sergt (I'm not 100% on that name!)

Service was all in the British Isles, but he is shown as being 1st Class Army Reserve, Glasgow District 15 Sep 1881 - 31 July 1882, then recalled to Army Service (2nd Dragoons) 1 Aug 1882 - 20 Oct 1882.

His postings 1874 - 1880 are on his record, with the last entry being 28/4/80 - Dublin

His NoK was shown as his father James at 56 Caledonian Road

Comment

Could you please post the link to the enlistment you found on FMP?

Comment

Comment

Thanks. I eventually got it by using the search box. Even although I was logged in to my library version, I get getting taken to a landing page where they wanted me to subscribe.

He seems to have been a right bit of no good at times.

Comment

Working...
              X