Is the transcription correct ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the transcription correct ...

... is it Christian Somerset that Thomas Tarrant marries, if so does anyone know why it would say 'of Wolfhall' if it wasn't important?

1) if it is, then Wolf Hall is obviously famous BUT;
    2) I can't find reference to a Christian Somerset other than Genuki comes up (not sure that is wholly reliable though);
    3) as nowhere seems to mention this daughter, is Christian really a daughter of the Earl of Somerset or could she have been illegitimate?

I am really intriuged with this this one!

Thanks all

Tessie
    Attached Files

https://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/p...ree/P20241.php interesting

Comment

Interesting that it doesn't state they are of the parish, like the next two entries. It does state wolfhall. Possible she was a servant there. Pedigrees often miss daughters, especially if their marriage wasn't considered top notch. I've had to piece together some pedigrees using scarce references like "dau m. Thomas smith" with wills etc. Are you thinking she might be a dau of the duke of somerset?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        Interesting that it doesn't state they are of the parish, like the next two entries. It does state wolfhall. Possible she was a servant there. Pedigrees often miss daughters, especially if their marriage wasn't considered top notch. I've had to piece together some pedigrees using scarce references like "dau m. Thomas smith" with wills etc. Are you thinking she might be a dau of the duke of somerset?
        Well it would be nice Kylejustin lol if she was - just the 'of Wolfhall' got me interested - would they have noted it if she was just a servant there?

Val has found something to but looks like its the same line as the Geni one I found ages ago and didn't believe - will need to take a better look later!

Thanks
        Last edited by tessie31082; 28-02-22, 07:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          Hmmm, so looks like the one on Geni and the one you have found are the same! I guess I have no real way of knowing - I will need to look at the history of Wolf Hall to see who was living where when Christian was born (if possible) and try and work out if it's correct

Thanks

Tessie
          Last edited by tessie31082; 28-02-22, 07:28.

Comment

There are some trees on ancestry, have you looked at those. One has siblings, can't really make out what is going on.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              There are some trees on ancestry, have you looked at those. One has siblings, can't really make out what is going on.
              No, I find they are normally incorrect but I guess I should take a look and see if anything correspods or if I can prove/disprove anything!

Thanks

Comment

there is this one -

has a link to probate record, that i glanced at needs a lot of patience to read

or there is this one, def needs some unravelling, as 3 marriages to same person! but might have some good/correct bits

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...45710896/facts this is a tree with her siblings and father.

Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Probs best to look at the family wills of who owned wolf hall at the time. Might mention a daughter called christian, legitimate or otherwise. If she was illegitimate it would also be possible to be mentioned in the will depending on the status of the mother...if she were a servant's dau unlikely, but if the mother was the mistress, and respectable enough, you might get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    Probs best to look at the family wills of who owned wolf hall at the time. Might mention a daughter called christian, legitimate or otherwise. If she was illegitimate it would also be possible to be mentioned in the will depending on the status of the mother...if she were a servant's dau unlikely, but if the mother was the mistress, and respectable enough, you might get lucky.
                    Thanks Kylejustin! I've struggled enough to read the one Carolyn linked (I'm terrible at reading old writing)! I am not even sure now that I am linked to her as I've looked on FMP and there is another Fanny Tarrant (this is my link to the Somerset's - if there is one) born a year different but closer to the rest on my tree than the original Fanny Tarrant I found in Wiltshire! I have no idea how to find out which is correct but my instinct is the one in Berkshire is the correct one for me unfortunately.
                    I am intrigued with this Wolfhall thing though so will pursue it as I'm nosey haha and would love to find out more about this Christian of Wolfhall

Tessie

Comment

Ah, according to Wikipedia, Wolfhall was in ruin and 'abandoned' by 1571 and used by servants until the 1660's but still interesting that Christian's marriage is anotated with the Wolfhall connection!

Comment

I did start looking around, never dealt with 'titled' people, and soon realised that their names become interchangeable, which I obviously knew with Royal family but had not appreciated when trying to trace history.

this is the wiki on the Seymour family, and you can see that Somerset is the head, and then of course children get other titles

Clearly it could be wrong

I took one look at that will and thought...maybe not.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                        X