Stumped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
    No james marrying catherine in 1845 in herts- searching without surnames on FMP. Thoughts would be it was a register office like stated above, or maybe FMP hasn't got the registers for the place. Perhaps they do have the records but they stop before 1845? Have you checked the parish lists on FMP to see if the years are covered for the places you think the marriage took place?
    No I haven't looked extensively, but I have found the Clibbens/Banes marriage.. and the family are transcribed as Clibbens in the 1841/1851 then it changes to Clements.. so what gives?

can anyone else make out what Johns occupation is please... I think I know what it might be but want to make sure that I'm right..lol...
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

oops it might help if I upload the bloody image!!!..

John Clements occupation 1841.JPG
      Julie

Comment

Possibly Carrier?

​​​​​​
        Barbara

Comment

Says "carrier" i think.

Comment

Can't explain why James became Clibbons for a while, but would think that Banes simply a mistranscription when indexed by GRO and should read Barnes.

Annette

Comment

John and Fanny's children in 1841 have all been baptised as Clements except for Fanny junior who is Clibbons.

Annette

Comment

I would say the accent may have played a part. I have "clementson" in my tree, and frequently find it as "clemins/clemmens" and "clemitson".

"climmns" and clibbns" phonetically are similar. Perhaps the transcriber wasn't local? Perhaps your ancestor lost his teeth?

Comment

Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post
                  Can't explain why James became Clibbons for a while, but would think that Banes simply a mistranscription when indexed by GRO and should read Barnes.

Annette
                  Thank you Annette some of the births have Baines and Banes too...

Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post
                  John and Fanny's children in 1841 have all been baptised as Clements except for Fanny junior who is Clibbons.

Annette
                  It's just bonkers isn't it?

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  I would say the accent may have played a part. I have "clementson" in my tree, and frequently find it as "clemins/clemmens" and "clemitson".

"climmns" and clibbns" phonetically are similar. Perhaps the transcriber wasn't local? Perhaps your ancestor lost his teeth?
                  I'm not really sure what a Herts accent sounds like tbh, if it were Dorset then I could praps understand that as it sounds slightly Devonish, but no clue with Herts.. I know sometimes if you have adenoid problems it can make you sound like you have a blocked nose all the time... I thought your comment Kyle of lost teeth was priceless!.. it would certainly explain it.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 01-03-22, 06:58. Reason: got Hants and Herts mixed up!... it's too early for me!
                  Julie

Comment

Working...
                  X