Mutual assistance societies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutual assistance societies

One of the family tales I was told some time ago was that my Great Grandfather founded a mutual assistance scheme (for want of a better term) but where would I start looking to confirm or deny it? You know the sort of thing; all the members put a certain amount in each week and when someone is in need the society/scheme pays out

The suggestion certainly makes sense given his own circumstances.

He had had 3 children die at less than a year old. Another two died at the age of 10. At the time when one of his sons died in 1905 at the age of 14 due to a pit accident he was an overman at the same colliery.

All those funerals must have cost money, and he would have been one of the wealthier miners in the area
    Barbara

Might there be something in a local paper? Our Victorian newspaper here often had summer picnics for families who belonged to various societies eg Ancient order of Foresters, Oddfellows or would be a destination for other groups arriving by train for summer sports or cricket matches.

Comment

I have heard of something similar whereby each street had a fund that everyone contributed to and when a household had a funeral, the bereaved could hold a decent funeral (ie. not a burial in a pauper’s / common grave) and depending on how much the regular contributions were, a simple grave marker could also be afforded.

For general savings there was the menage. They were very common in Scotland. A menage was (and still is) an informal savings club usually run by a group of women in workplaces and based entirely on trust. Money was usually withdrawn around holiday times and the festive season.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 24-02-22, 20:51.

Comment

Thank you both

I think it would have been very similar to the street funds GL mentioned, and not big enough to be mentioned in the papers. I will go and have a better look

As far as I know the family had no connection to the Oddfellows or Buffaloes or similar organisations. Although I did live in a property where the Buffaloes once met for many years
        Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 22-02-22, 18:13.
        Barbara

Comment

I have a solicitation to elect a distant aunt to the East London Pension Society. I tried at one time to locate their records, but anything that I could find was at a distant library and didn't seem to be very detailed.

this is interesting
          The Market Towns of England, from the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge - SDUK
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 24-02-22, 18:24.

Comment

That's an interesting link PF

The more I look the more I think my Grandfather set up an informal club/self help group and no public records were kept.
            Barbara

Comment

Working...
            X