Stuck on Roland family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck on Roland family

Hi everyone on this wet and windy morning here in the UK. This is a complicated one, so sit tight! 😁

I've recently discovered that the parents to my G-G-Grandmother were possibly not who I thought. My G-G-Grandmother was Lilian (often called Lily) Rowland, born either 2nd or 4th August 1887 in Hoxton, Shoreditch, Middlesex/London.

For a long time I thought her father was Henry Rowland but was always stumped on her Mother's name. However, in the past couple of weeks I've found that in fact, her mother's maiden name was Roland, her full name Mary Ann Elizabeth Rowland, born about 1860, also in Hoxton, Shoreditch. I have since found many records of them both, including workhouse records and school admittance records. School records show Lilian's father as Henry, as does Lilian's later marriage to Alfred John Smith. It says "Henry Rowland" but I don't see how that could be the correct last name, as it's her mother's side that was Rowland.

So confuse things more, Lilian was admitted to a home at 14 months old as her mother was destitute, and Lilian was said to be illegitimate (I was almost in tears reading that and the workhouse records!). It says the mother (Mary Ann Elizabeth) was single at the time. So where is Henry? It also states Mary was pregnant when she herself was admitted and gives a date of 1885, although Lilian wasn't born until 1887. I have found a Christening record for both Lilian and a mystery Bertie who I have found nothing about yet (not looked too thoroughly at versions of the Bertie name yet). On the Christening records, both Lilian and Bertie only have the mother's name, not the father.

Are you confused yet? There is more! The same mother, Mary Ann Elizabeth Rowland, married a Charles Perrott Collins in 1885. So 2 years before Lilian was born and also when she seemed to be admitted to this home. None of this makes sense. That married couple went on to have 4 children born between 1886 and 1895. So how does Lilian fit into this? Did Mary cheat on Charles? Lilian doesn't appear on census records for 1891 or 1901, but does in 1911 a year before marrying, living with her mother, Mary Ann Elizabeth. In previous census records, MAE lives with her other family from her marriage to Charles, but in 1911 one of those children was living with just the father, Charles. HOWEVER, that census shows that Charles was a widow - Yet his wife, MAE, was alive and living with Lilian! 😰 There is a strange note on that 1911 census record for Lilian and MAE though, which is something I haven't understood. I may need help to work out the handwriting as it may explain things.

Experience in researching family history tells me I'm confusing 2 different people, but I am sure all my records are correct. I never make assumptions without first double checking with other records that I do have the correct people. I'm aware there is another Mary Ann Elizabeth Collins and I've ruled her out. So my questions are, who is Henry? What was his last name? Was he really Lilian's father? Where was he in every census?

I'd appreciate any clues please! I'm unsure what anyone could do to help as I have an Ancestry subscription, but maybe it will ring a bell in someone's head or someone might spot a silly mistake I've made. I have a lot more information about all these people but I won't write any more of a bore-fest here than I already have, unless asked. 😁

This is a part of the 1911 census record for Lilian and Mary Ann Rowland. It is strange that Mary Ann's name didn't show Elizabeth as well, as all other records for her did. Also if she was no longer married to a Collins, she must have changed her name back to Rowland. I'm unsure what those words are after both names. "And" and "Passed"? Also the notes below the names, I'm not sure what it all says or means. I still wonder if I have the wrong record here, but the address was just minute's walk from known family addresses and from where Lilian went to school. This whole family is just so confusing to my small brain.

Untitled-1.jpg

Comment

It says "Mary Ann Rowland and Lillian Rowland passed the night at this dwelling and was alive at midnight on 3rd April 1911."

It refers to the note above the column and not necessarily to any imminent death, I don't think. It does imply that either they didn't live there normally or they had interpreted the question in complete fullness! Never seen that before but in my opinion you shouldn't take too much note of it.

Anne
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 18-02-22, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
        It says "Mary Ann Rowland and Lillian Rowland passed the night at this dwelling and was alive at midnight on 3rd April 1911."

It refers to the note above the column and not necessarily to any imminent death, I don't think. It does imply that either they didn't live there normally or they had interpreted the question in complete fullness! Never seen that before but in my opinion you shouldn't take too much note of it.

Anne
        Hi Anne, thank you so much for that. Looking at it as I read back your reply, it was obvious what it said, but I just couldn't see it! Hehe.

Whether they were just there at the time or living there, it's still a mystery to me why Mary was even alive at the time as her Husband was a widower. Obviously I have something wrong somewhere.

I appreciate your help Anne, thank you!

Comment

I think the Mary Ann Elizabeth Rowland who married Charles Perrott Collins is a different woman entirely. They are still together in the census and their living children were Hilda Mary & Charles Harold. An earlier daughter - Amy Elizabeth - had also died.

COLLINS, AMY ELIZABETH mmn ROWLAND GRO Reference: 1886 M Quarter in HACKNEY Volume 01B Page 469 (died the following year)
          COLLINS, HILDA MARY mmn ROWLAND GRO Reference: 1888 M Quarter in HACKNEY Volume 01B Page 45
          COLLINS, CHARLES HAROLD mmn ROWLAND GRO Reference: 1890 M Quarter in HACKNEY Volume 01B Page 478

Amy Elizabeth's baptism was on 22 Jan 1886 and she was buried 26 Jan 1887. The address for both was 33 Lidfield Road, Stoke Newington.
          Hilda Mary COLLINS was baptised 1 April 1888, and the address was again 33 Lidfield Road, Stoke Newington.

Mary Ann ROWLAND was admitted to Kingsland Road Workhouse, Shoreditch on 30 Nov 1885 from 116 Hoxton Street, Shoreditch and was discharged to the infirmary 25 Dec 1885
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I'll see what more I can find on that, but there is an illegitimate birth of a John Rowland Q1 1886 that may be connected.

This is Lily's birth:
          ROWLAND, LILY (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1887 S Quarter in SHOREDITCH Volume 01C Page 118

Comment

Thanks for all that Teasie. I have been researching this most the day since writing my first post and have come to the same conclusion as you, that the Mary Ann Elizabeth Rowland I've been researching is someone different. Going by all the places she's lived though, it would be a stunning coincidence if she wasn't part of my family somehow.

I have already found those names you listed in censuses, but it does all seem to be wrong. I've gone back quite a way with the Collins family too, convinced I had the correct person.

Thanks for the familysearch link, I hadn't seen that one before so I'll make a note of it. I have found several other entries on Ancestry for Mary Ann Rowland and also her Daughter Lily, and I'm certain that is the correct person. One of the records on Ancestry actually looks like the information for the Workhouse is the same but on a different form. What it shows is that Mary Ann and Lily were admitted to the infirmary on one of the 2 dates I already have as Lily's birth date, then discharged to the workhouse from the infirmary one month later. I have other workhouse records too, plus Lily's school admission that shows her father as Henry. THAT is what I would have expected. I noticed that in all those workhouse records that mention the mother, they only show Mary Ann or Mary A and don't mention Elizabeth or E.

So I do think I had the wrong person. Oh and thanks also Lily's birth GRO reference. I'd already found that not long before your post. I shall order that certificate once I've posted this.

I have also found a marriage record for Henry marrying a Mary Ann, but looking closer, I don't think it's the correct one (married in Fulham, which doesn't really fit).

I also found a 1901 census record from Hackey / Dalston - All the same area, showing Henry and Mary Ann Rowland married. They have several kids but no Lily or Lilian! How many families called Rowland could their possibly have been in the small area around Dalston, Hackney, Shoreditch? All addresses very close to the school Lily went to.

I'll keep researching! Thanks again for your help on this Teasie. Please don't go to too much trouble as it may duplicate some of what I already have.

Comment

The records for Dec 1885 are missing, but here is Mary Ann being admitted to the infirmary on 2 Aug 1887, with the line beneath showing Lily's birth:
              https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...81&cat=1411241

Both were admitted to the workhouse from the infirmary on 2 Sep 1887, and were discharged the following day:
              https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...05&cat=1411241

Mary Ann must have been re-admitted though (I'll see if I can find this), as she is still there in 1891 - RG12/255/172/20
              Mary A Rowland 29 single Pauper Servant born Hoxton

As per Lily's settlement / cottage home record, Mary Ann was allowed out 4 May 1896 to work as a servant at 42 Newton Street, Hoxton
              Last edited by teasie; 18-02-22, 15:05. Reason: typo

Comment

Sorry, I was slowly typing and adding links, so I hadnt seen your reply.

Comment

Thanks again Teasie for all that.

Most of that is information I already have, all from Ancestry. I will look for more soon but for now I just wanted to be sure of who this Mary Ann was.

I know for sure now that I had the wrong person before, she wasn't a Collins or at least not the same Collins.

I'll separate the Mary Ann Elizabeth I have in my software from the rest of my known family, but leave all the names there as I think I'll be able to link them up at some point later. I'll add a new person, this other Mary Ann, and copy the correct bits of information over to her.

Please don't go to more trouble Teasie, you've helped me so far by showing how I had the wrong person. I was wondering if I might have and you've helped me be sure of that. Now I know who the correct mother of Lily is, it'll be easy for me to locate all those workhouse and other records without asking for help.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                    Sorry, I was slowly typing and adding links, so I hadnt seen your reply.
                    Not at all, you've been a big help and I really do appreciate it. Some records I had, some I didn't. I didn't actually find any on Familysearch for the workhouse before so it's good to now know where I'll be able to find more on there, especially after my Ancestry subscription expires.

Thanks SO much for all the time you've spent helping me out!

Comment

I know you said not to look any further, but the mystery of Henry could be that he's actually Mary Ann's father, not Lily's. It wouldn't be the first time a grandparent was named in order to disguise an illegitimacy.

I see from Lily/Lilian's marriage that she names him as Henry, a Cabinet Maker, and in 1861 there is a Mary Ann Rowland aged 2 in Shoreditch with a father named Henry, a Cabinet Maker - RG9/240/20/46

By 1871 he's in Islington with what looks like a new wife - Jane - RG10/287/66/64

By 1881 he has died, and Jane and their daughter - also Jane - are with what appears to be Henry's brother, Francis - RG11/386/87/13

If its the same Mary Ann then it looks like she had a son - James Henry - born in 1881. They can be seen going in & out of the workhouse/infirmary, until James died on 8 Feb 1883.

I'll leave you to think about it and stop looking now - promise (I just got sick of my own lot and needed a 20 minute break!)

Comment

That's some great information, thank you once again. Yes I guess Henry could be Mary's father, I'll bare that in mind.

I am aware of the occupation of cabinet maker, which fits with other details I know of, including from my own father's memories. Also Francis who's Lilian's Husband's father was an upholsterer (according to family, not a very good one).

I currently have both the birth certificate and will for Lily / Lilian on order which I hope will shed some more light on things. Then I'll come back to what you've told me above and hopefully will be able to slot it all together. Interesting that you found Francis as a brother and I wonder if they were actually step brothers, as that would fit my family. There is another thread all about that Francis and his marriage but I won't get into that here, it's yet another very confusing part of the family.

I know how you fee, getting sick of your own research. I tend to step away for several hours or a day, collect my thoughts then come back with a fresh mind and fresh ideas the next day. All the best!

Comment

Working...
                        X