No announcement yet.

Cannot find Grandmother in 1921

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just throwing this in Val for info if you haven't picked it up. On Army records whilst married to Celia, Charles gives his NOK as Sister, Rose in Canada but not ab!e to give address as she had since married.

Also in response to Army request gives a change of adddess in October 1920 as ? c/o Robinson, Mile Road, E1. Possibly Mile End Road. Difficult to read.

Times very hard in that part of London looking at some records in general. Had to keep checking the dates as they appeared to be harsher than my knowledge of the difficult times my family experienced in the North East.

Vera

Comment

Thanks for your help Vera, I do have those records, Rose and his Sister Daisy were Dr Barnados children, Rose was 101 when she died, quite remarkable to survive everything like she did.

As for the Robinson bit, he told the army to forward his money, to whoever that was? she wasn't related.
      He was probably trying to keep the money for himself.

Dont know whether you have seen, the photos of the girls in Barnados just after they were taken in. Rose is the one on the left, I was thrilled to get those photos.
      Attached Files

Comment

Lovely photograph Val. I bet you were pleased to get that. Sad to have left home so young but hopefully for a better life. Certainly had a long life.

Yes, does look as if Charles was up to no good by that change of address. I always hold back on criticising the men because life was difficult. They were expected to provide for their family but with little means to do so because of unemployment or illness. Perhaps not the case with your Grandfather though.

Vera

Comment

I found out a lot from talking to Dr Barnados, and they only charged me £10 for 3 photos, one of each and that one together,
          I know they had a hard life, my poor nan had 15 children, and she was a tiny little thing, sont know how she managed ,she was almost 100 when she died. My Grand Father was not a nice man.
          Thanks again Vera very grateful.

Comment

Working...
          X