From Bustead to Burgess ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Bustead to Burgess ?

Julia Christina Nicholson was born 23 Dec.1887 in Liverpool. Both her baptismal cert. and the gro give her mother's maiden name as BURGESS. I searched for other births for NICHOLSON/ BURGESS and found Mary, Agnes and Joseph. The parents James Nicholson and Julia Burgess were married 8.10.1882 in Liverpool.
    On the 1891 census the family is in Lemon St with John and Honora Bastead from Cork. James is from Dublin and Julia from Cork .John and Honora are in-laws.
    On the 1901 census I found James and Julia (from Cork) with the aforesaid children in Everton with John BUSTEAD and his wife Nora described as father-in -law and mother-in law.(from Cork)
    In 1911 Julia is a widow from Cork. is John Busteed is her father.
    I found a John Busteed marriage to Honora Long on 6.9.1855 Cork, and also a baptism for Julia Busted, Cork 2.8. 1856 with these parents.
    Are these two different families,or did Julia change her surname?
    Thank you in advance for any input.
    Fran

I would say you have the correct family. Perhaps a strong irish accent was the reason for the change? Or maybe julia wanted to appear to be more english in public? Not very familiar with cork accents.

Comment

Thank you kylejustin. I should also have said that I looked for a previous marriage of a Burgess To Julia Bustead.

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
        Julia Christina Nicholson was born 23 Dec.1887 in Liverpool. Both her baptismal cert. and the gro give her mother's maiden name as BURGESS. I searched for other births for NICHOLSON/ BURGESS and found Mary, Agnes and Joseph. The parents James Nicholson and Julia Burgess were married 8.10.1882 in Liverpool.
        On the 1891 census the family is in Lemon St with John and Honora Bastead from Cork. James is from Dublin and Julia from Cork .John and Honora are in-laws.
        On the 1901 census I found James and Julia (from Cork) with the aforesaid children in Everton with John BUSTEAD and his wife Nora described as father-in -law and mother-in law.(from Cork)
        In 1911 Julia is a widow from Cork. is John Busteed is her father.
        I found a John Busteed marriage to Honora Long on 6.9.1855 Cork, and also a baptism for Julia Busted, Cork 2.8. 1856 with these parents.
        Are these two different families,or did Julia change her surname?
        Thank you in advance for any input.
        Fran
        have you tried a search on 1921 census, wondered if she went back to Burgess? You could try searching for the address, she maybe in same place. then you no need to by the image.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you carolyn. Julia was Nicholson when she died in 1915

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
            Thank you carolyn. Julia was Nicholson when she died in 1915
            She’d be registered as NICHOLSON at death because that would be the information the informant gave to the registrar. Whilst Julia was still alive and widowed, she may well have reverted to using her maiden surname. It was a pretty common thing in Scotland and as far as I’m aware, the Irish had the same custom.
            Sadly, she has died before the 1921 census so that doesn’t help you but it’s something to bear in mind that if you can’t find a Scots or Irish born widow under her married surname, try her maiden surname. It’s made a great deal easier for us Scots after our civil registration began. For death certificates, a woman is indexed under both her married and maiden surnames as well as any other surname she was known to have used - always dependent of course upon the knowledge of the informant. Same with re-marriages - she’ll be indexed as maiden surnane and previous married surname (unless of course she deliberately didn’t mention any previous marriage ).

Comment

Thank you for your reply. It was very interesting. All I know is that she was widowed on the 1911 census and at that time she used the name Nicholson. The problem is her maiden surname. Is it Burgess or Bastead?

Comment

Working...
              X