New Probate find a will page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Probate find a will page

Maybe this topic is being discussed elsewhere so I apologize if I'm on the wrong forum page. Just tried to find some wills from research on the weekend while the site was down. THEY have fluffed the site and made it extremely awkward to find anything. ARGH I do hate changes especially when it was working just fine. So now I cannot go to the will listing page, scroll through pages to find the name then easily record the information to order the will. I've managed to find two wills I would like but where is the button to go to the order page. ARGH times 100.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Where are you looking Donelda? in the UK? this is the one to use for UK

Search online for a will, grant of representation or probate document for a death in or after 1858

apologies if it is elsewhere.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes that is the one. The IT guys have fluffed the site so now it is supposedly easier to search.NOT for me. and still looking for the form to order the wills.
      Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
        Yes that is the one. The IT guys have fluffed the site so now it is supposedly easier to search.NOT for me. and still looking for the form to order the wills.
        Oh.. it looks the same to me? do you sub to Ancestry? I tend to get the probate info from there then manually search/order on W&P site.

happy to have a look for you

ETA: ah, I see what you mean now.. went to the next bit.
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-02-22, 19:34.
        Julie

Comment

Nelde, I totally agree. It wasn't great before but now it is awful! I did find the ordering form though. When you evenyually find the right page, first you have to click at the top where is says 'click to oprn image' there is a button at the top that says 'Show Form' which brings up the order form.

I've just had a look to see how it had changed, so I looked for a will that I new existed and now I can't find it! Having added the surname and year of death I got six pages with that surname but there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the order of the entires. It seemed to jump backwards and forwards in the alphabet and the year of death.

Page one Maria - Stella
          Page two Florence - John and so on.

Page numbers on the actual image seem to be in random order too so I have no idea how you are meant to find someone when all you can put in the search box is the surname (Woodward in this case) and the year of death (1989). Can anyone find Hilda Gladys?

(EDIT 8/2/22 - Please don’t look for her as I have given her maiden name here by mistake)

Why do they change things and make them worse?!
          Last edited by Gardengirl; 08-02-22, 09:18.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
            Nelde, I totally agree. It wasn't great before but now it is awful! I did find the ordering form though. When you evenyually find the right page, first you have to click at the top where is says 'click to oprn image' there is a button at the top that says 'Show Form' which brings up the order form.

I've just had a look to see how it had changed, so I looked for a will that I new existed and now I can't find it! Having added the surname and year of death I got six pages with that surname but there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the order of the entires. It seemed to jump backwards and forwards in the alphabet and the year of death.

Page one Maria - Stella
            Page two Florence - John and so on.

Page numbers on the actual image seem to be in random order too so I have no idea how you are meant to find someone when all you can put in the search box is the surname (Woodward in this case) and the year of death (1989). Can anyone find Hilda Gladys?

Why do they change things and make them worse?!
            I can't see her on there GG.. I do get 6 pages but she HGW isn't there, I guess the only thing you can do is give feedback as it's a beta site.. it's just as bad as the LDS site now they have 'improved' it, I can't find half the stuff I once could! not a happy bunny!
            Julie

Comment

I went back and changed the death date and still couldn't find her. Crazy!
              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I eventually found the correct order of hitting buttons to get to the order page then found that I was no longer registered so i had to register again (so losing the list of all the wills I've ordered over the years) re-enter all the info. ARGH. I was searching for a Staniford will that I knew was there. So I put Stan* and got more pages but could not find it. Then I thought I would look at all the pages and discovered that they are not in order STANS way before STANF. So one must look at all the pages. Not as easy. But then I knew how to zip through the old method when 14 pages would be available. I sent them feedback. I will be curious to see if the wills actually arrive.
                Donelda

Comment

Please let us know what response you get from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
                    I eventually found the correct order of hitting buttons to get to the order page then found that I was no longer registered so i had to register again (so losing the list of all the wills I've ordered over the years) re-enter all the info. ARGH. I was searching for a Staniford will that I knew was there. So I put Stan* and got more pages but could not find it. Then I thought I would look at all the pages and discovered that they are not in order STANS way before STANF. So one must look at all the pages. Not as easy. But then I knew how to zip through the old method when 14 pages would be available. I sent them feedback. I will be curious to see if the wills actually arrive.
                    I couldn't login with my password that I usually use so reset it and I can now login to it... total madness, if it ain't broke!.. and then they wonder where govt money is going? pointless 'upgrades' to make it easier.. for them more like cos it certainly isn't us!
                    Julie

Comment

Are you sure you have the right details? I've checked the GRO & there is no death for a Hilda Gladys Woodward in 1989 +/- 2 years.

There's a death (and probate) for Phoebe Gladys Woodward

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                        Are you sure you have the right details? I've checked the GRO & there is no death for a Hilda Gladys Woodward in 1989 +/- 2 years.

There's a death (and probate) for Phoebe Gladys Woodward
                        Oh dear, my apologies, teasie. I realised that I had made a mistake after I had posted that but didn’t bother correcting it because finding her wasn’t really the point of the post, it was more about confirming that the website was messed up. I didn’t think anyone would be spending time actually searching for her. The mistake was because I wanted to search the new site for a will that I knew existed so I went to Family Historian, picked someone from the list of people with wills and put her in. What I forgot was that the name on fH was her maiden name, not the name that she died with Sorry you had a wasted search

Comment

Oh dear, my apologies, teasie. I realised that I had made a mistake after I had posted that but didn’t bother correcting it because finding her wasn’t really the point of the post, it was more about confirming that the website was messed up. I didn’t think anyone would be spending time actually searching for her. The mistake was because I wanted to search the new site for a will that I knew existed so I went to Family Historian, picked someone from the list of people with wills and put her in. What I forgot was that the name on fH was her maiden name, not the name that she died with Sorry you had a wasted search
                          That'd explain why I couldn't see her then...but weirdly when I went back to the tab I was looking at last night.. guess who was looking at me... yep.. Pheobe Gladys
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 08-02-22, 09:48.
                          Julie

Comment

Sorry

Comment

What an utter pig’s breakfast the site has become. The search details are way too complicated compared to before. I can’t even try to find the purchase page as I can’t get logged in. It says my “account is not found”. I thought right, ok, if it’s forgotten everything then I’ll just reregister with my original email address…
                              Nope! It’s not having it. It says that email address is “in use by an existing user” Well, if I already exist, I should be able to be found.
                              I’ve sent them a strongly worded email to their feedback request.

Comment

Sorry
                                nah..it's ok. Just funny really.. as she was looking at me this morning!..
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                  What an utter pig’s breakfast the site has become. The search details are way too complicated compared to before. I can’t even try to find the purchase page as I can’t get logged in. It says my “account is not found”. I thought right, ok, if it’s forgotten everything then I’ll just reregister with my original email address…
                                  Nope! It’s not having it. It says that email address is “in use by an existing user” Well, if I already exist, I should be able to be found.
                                  I’ve sent them a strongly worded email to their feedback request.
                                  yep.. I had issues to last night logging in.. I tried both my email addies. first one cool.. entered password.. nope not having it.. so goes back to LastPass and copies pw from there.. nope still not having it.. reset password to the password it already was and bingo! I'm in... flipping stupid thing! you'd think that they would at least TEST IT before sending it live
                                  Julie

Comment

Today I went back to search for something else and after the initial search on surname and D.O.D I was given another search page (which wasn't there yesterday) to add additional information. When I pressed enter at the end it went straight to a summary of the correct person and an option to add to basket. No chance to see the original index page for extra information such as address and beneficiary names and amount - which was often all I needed. Looks like you can't see anything now unless you buy it.

Then I had the same problem as everyone else that it didn't recognise my email address and I couldn't get any further.

I would imaging there are a lot of IT people running round behind the scenes trying to fix things. I'm going to wait a few weeks then try again.

Comment

Today I went back to search for something else and after the initial search on surname and D.O.D I was given another search page (which wasn't there yesterday) to add additional information. When I pressed enter at the end it went straight to a summary of the correct person and an option to add to basket. No chance to see the original index page for extra information such as address and beneficiary names and amount - which was often all I needed. Looks like you can't see anything now unless you buy it.

Then I had the same problem as everyone else that it didn't recognise my email address and I couldn't get any further.

I would imaging there are a lot of IT people running round behind the scenes trying to fix things. I'm going to wait a few weeks then try again.
                                      I just find the relevant into on Ancestry and then go there to order the will. cuts out a lot of stress trying to look.

Julie

Comment

Was this an ordinary will or a military one? I only get that 'extra' search page on military ones, and to be fair you never got to see the full page of those previously either.

I agree that the rest of it is a backward step - far too much scrolling up & down and extra mouse-clicks, plus of course the fact that the pages are out of order.

I've also sent feedback!

Hopefully as its still in BETA they'll listen & improve it, but it can't have gone through much (any?) internal testing if nobody has spotted the 'not in page/alpha order' issue!

Gardengirl - don't worry, I wasn't really searching for her, I was just using her details to test it out then thought I'd better check that the death actually existed before I complained

Comment

Working...
                                        X