No announcement yet.

New Probate find a will page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Methinks you need to email and complain. It will not come up in search results but if I look at the page of the register on ancestry and pick the man a couple of entries below her, I get a result and can open the page image. She is indeed there on page 324!! No extra written references so the info from ancestry should be all that’s needed.

80D40D30-73D3-4F54-82D8-AA9830C312A4.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
      Methinks you need to email and complain. It will not come up in search results but if I look at the page of the register on ancestry and pick the man a couple of entries below her, I get a result and can open the page image. She is indeed there on page 324!! No extra written references so the info from ancestry should be all that’s needed.

80D40D30-73D3-4F54-82D8-AA9830C312A4.jpg
      Thanks GL I'm not going to stress about it too much now and I'm busy with daughters appt tomorrow so might be late afternoon by the time I get chance to email them.

I can't even see the 'place an order' bit

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I went on to the Probate site, entered Kickerty and year 1972, nothing else. Gave me 0 results (surprise, surprise) but did then give me image search results. I could then click to open the image and order form, followed the instructions and that seemed to work - at least it said it was in my basket, did not proceed with the purchase.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          I went on to the Probate site, entered Kickerty and year 1972, nothing else. Gave me 0 results (surprise, surprise) but did then give me image search results. I could then click to open the image and order form, followed the instructions and that seemed to work - at least it said it was in my basket, did not proceed with the purchase.
          huh? I didn't even get the image results! I'll try again later,,, thanks Linda x
          Julie

Comment

Had a quick min so have tried and have got the image up.. so will leave that page up and come back to it when I get back so I don't lose it.

Thank you again ozgirl x
            Julie

Comment

what a faff, wonder why it is still bad.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Ahhh I know why now, I was entering the date of death... silly me 1971 was the year of death 1972 was the date of probate.. how daft of me not to think of that!!! what a stupid/convoluted system... Jeez if it ain't broke an all that... this 'new' system is just wrong!
                Julie

Comment

But to me, your result is a fluke. I bought this Will before the change about 5 years ago.

1984 C Adams.jpg

I tried to find him again and put in everything they ask for:
                  Last name Adams
                  First name (Optional) Charles
                  Year of death 1984
                  Was the person a soldier No
                  Month of death (Optional) 10
                  Day of death (Optional) 21
                  Year of probate (Optional) 1985
                  Month of probate (Optional) 01
                  Day of probate (Optional) 10

​0 document pages returned
                  -----------------------------
                  If I use just his name and date of death ie less info, it shows:

52 document pages returned
                  Starting on page 20 Acrid to Adair then the next page is 25 starting Adams Doreen to Elizabeth!!!
                  So mine must be in one of the pages 21 -24 but where are they hiding?
                  Page 20.jpg p25.jpg
                  What a complete mess. I would have thought they could have sorted all this by now.
                  It was working properly in the first place.

If searching on Ancestry it is the first one on the list.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

It seems to work best if you put in minimal info. I tried with surname Adams, and 1985 for year of death. Wasn't in the list of wills, but in the pages to search it gave all the pages from 19 onwards. Charles was bottom of page 21. Doesn't work if you put in year of death - something wrong with the programming!
                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Katarzyna and ozgirl

I quite agree the system now is WORSE than it was previously.. that was a pleasure to use and so user-friendly.. this 'new' system is just utter rubbish and that is putting it mildly!

I tried like you by putting everything in that Ancestry gave me. Nothing not a sniff, but when Linda did it with surname and year of probate it showed up... c'mon Gov.uk sort it out and put the old system back!..
                      Julie

Comment

ok I have had an email from them showing me how to get results

if the death is before 1996 you need to search by PROBATE year and put the year of probate in the box... I've just tried it and got Zero results.... clearly their helpdesk is flawed.. why cant there just be an 'order your will here' button for those that actually have all of the details to hand?

I'm going to fire off an email back to them....
                        Julie

Comment

I've been using the process Peter Calver describes in his "Lost Cousins" newsletter to find entries & it has significantly reduced the number of pages to view. See: https://www.lostcousins.com/newslett...news.htm#Wills

Comment

Originally posted by Vivian View Post
                            I've been using the process Peter Calver describes in his "Lost Cousins" newsletter to find entries & it has significantly reduced the number of pages to view. See: https://www.lostcousins.com/newslett...news.htm#Wills
                            That's the method that the wills/probate helpdesk tell you to do, except it didn't work with the will I was looking for... it still wouldn't bring the results up, eventually ozgirl got the results to come up.. so I ordered the will.. it arrived Thursday morning and I have been working my way through the nephews and nieces. Quite why they have to ruin a perfectly great system is beyond me!.. I have mentions that the page needs a 'order this item' button so people that know the exact results and just want to order the will can.. though I suppose my request has fallen on deaf ears!
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X