Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not seeing the Wood for the trees??

Hello All.

I'm struggling a little with my WOOD side.

Trying to push back that little bit further but hitting all kinds of problems.

Mark WOOD b. 1841 to Joseph WOOD and Elizabeth COOK in Arnold, Notts.

Mark marries Maria MITCHELL in 1861 and they have 5 children together before Maria dies in 1879.

Joseph 1862-1913
    Eliza 1863
    John 1866
    Elizabeth 1868
    Robert 1870

I have been looking but cannot see Mark after the 1871 census. I did find this:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...jQzMTk1MDkxLjA.

But don't have fold3 to look at what it says. Though the dates look good for 'my' Mark.

I have begun by tracking the children and they seem to all be in the workhouse in 1881. [and if Mark was in the army this could be why the children were in the WH?]

Following the children through the ages:

Joseph b. 1862 marries Esther Elizabeth HOLLAND and they have 3 children. I cannot easily spot Esther Elizabeth HOLLAND WOOD after 1913 when Joseph dies BUT Both of their sons join up and give their mother as Esther Elizabeth WOOD WEBSTER. I cannot confidently find Esther in the 1939 register. She would I think be living in Basford/Vernon Rd area. I haven't found a death either for her.

Their children were

Esther HOLLAND 1892
    Joseph 1898
    Leslie 1901

Now on both Joseph/Leslies army papers it states that their mother is Esther Elizabeth WOOD then in very faint wording it says WEBSTER.
    many trees have conflicting information about Joseph and Leslie. I do not have ANY certificates to prove/disprove this line of thought. Though I have found Leslie over in Canada and then moving into the US and have found him in the 1920 census.

Any snippet of info would be most appreciated, thank you.

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
    Though I have found Leslie over in Canada and then moving into the US and have found him in the 1920 census.

Any snippet of info would be most appreciated, thank you.
    Are you pursuing him? If he naturalized after 1906, the paper work is worth finding. If you want more about him, please give link to 1920 appearance.

Comment

I have now found more children born to Mark & Maria.

James b. 1873
      William b.1877

These were in the workhouse with some of their siblings in 1881. [which confused me initially]

I need to go back to the beginning of the day when there wasn't any stress!!
      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Are you pursuing him? If he naturalized after 1906, the paper work is worth finding. If you want more about him, please give link to 1920 appearance.
        Oh pants! this is in Canada!

it is the same person though as he gives his mother as Esther Elizabeth Webster and address of Frances Grove off Vernon Road, Old Basford, Nottm.

I'd appreciate it very much Sarah if you could find anything on him x
        Julie

Comment

The earliest electoral roll I could find was 1918, from that there is a marriage 1915 Nottingham Q4

Esther E Wood
          John Webster
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Elaine; 27-01-22, 19:16.
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There's a death for an Esther E Webster age 55 Q3 1926 Notts
            Elaine

Comment

Just searched IGI for viewable records

Death in California MMN Holland no image see next link

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

death Index

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Marriage and parents

Still with Thelma in California 1940

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post

In the 1930, he says he immigrated in 1923, and now is a naturalized citizen. DS, he's living with Bert and Caroline Jordan, both born in the US. Probably just renting, but if you recognize the names, speak up.
                She's only been married for two years (at age 17) but his first year was 5 years previous (age 22), so it should be his second marriage (assuming that he and Thelma are married)

Oh, and - he has no occupation. Seems like there may be some relationship with the Jordans?
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-01-22, 23:17.

Comment

WWII Draft Reg
                  Leslie Francis Wood
                  Male
                  White
                  Self (Head)
                  23 May 1901
                  Nottingham, England
                  Los Angeles, California, USA
                  14 Feb 1942
                  Los Angeles, California, USA
                  Dept Of Water And Power
                  https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui...=successSource

Declaration of intent (first of two steps to naturalization). Just one page
                  https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui...=successSource

last step, 4 pages, includes photo
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-01-22, 23:28.

Comment

Do you want other ones tracked, too? Seems like you know about Joseph and Esther already?

Comment

Elaine thank you that makes a lot of sense, bit puzzled why he added Francis as a middle name though. But great all the same! I did find one entry with a middle name but it threw me so then tried looking deeper but not finding much. You seem to have more of a handle with the LDS stuff again, I just can't get my head around it, it just brings up al the wrong info for me!.

PhotoFamily I have Joseph/Esther's son Joseph b.1897 [brother to Leslie] pretty much wrapped up married and followed to his death. Thanks.

The Jordan name means nothing to me [I was going to put it's a bit 'Vienna' but I wasn't sure that you'd get the reference ] [[a song by Ultravox, Vienna -chorus - it means nothing to me... oh vienna]

If you could have a scout out for either Mark Wood b. 1841 or any of the other children.. it'd be appreciated.

Joseph 1862-1913
                      Eliza 1863
                      John 1866

Elizabeth 1868.
                      Robert 1870
                      James b. 1873

William b.1877

I have greyed out Joseph as he's sorted. so will grey out the others when I have got them pinned down.

I think that yesterday I was quite overwhelmed by it all and then the stress at home didn't help. Thank you.
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 01-02-22, 11:55.
                      Julie

Comment

Julie, just been looking for William 1877. Found him still in the Basford Workhouse in 1891. aged 13. Not other Woods on the same page and place of birth unknown.

Not having much luck now. Will plod on.
                        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Not found anything I can tie down as being him. Looked at a couple on 1901 census but they are on 1891 with their parents.

I have someone in Bagthorpe workhouse in 1901 and he went into the army so looked at military and nothing definite. Sorry
                          Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                            Not found anything I can tie down as being him. Looked at a couple on 1901 census but they are on 1891 with their parents.

I have someone in Bagthorpe workhouse in 1901 and he went into the army so looked at military and nothing definite. Sorry
                            appreciate it Lin Fisher not the easiest of people to tie down. I'm not sure if FMP have any details on the deserter below.

Name: Mark Wood
                            Birth Year: Abt 1844
                            Birth Place: Arnold, Nottingham
                            Desertion Date: 13 Jun 1881
                            Desertion Place: Newark
                            Publication Date: 25 Jul 1881
                            Regimental Number: 7810
                            Military Corps: Argyle, & c. A

I have been busy tracking the children of Mark, so hopefully have built up a bit more of that side, having said that the WOODs are a massive line and bred like blooming wabbits!
                            Julie

Comment

Julie, just been looking for William 1877. Found him still in the Basford Workhouse in 1891. aged 13. Not other Woods on the same page and place of birth unknown.

Not having much luck now. Will plod on.
                              oh dear, that doesn't sound too good does it? just a shame no other family could take him in.
                              Julie

Comment

Can't see anything on FMP military records.
                                Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

appreciate it Lin Fisher not the easiest of people to tie down. I'm not sure if FMP have any details on the deserter below.

Name: Mark Wood
                                  Birth Year: Abt 1844
                                  Birth Place: Arnold, Nottingham
                                  Desertion Date: 13 Jun 1881
                                  Desertion Place: Newark
                                  Publication Date: 25 Jul 1881
                                  Regimental Number: 7810
                                  Military Corps: Argyle, & c. A
                                  This is the same as the Fold 3 record and is from the Police Gazette under the heading Deserters from the Militia (so he was a part-time soldier only). Occupation listed as Brickmaker. The only other information not already detailed is a brief description - 5ft 6.5 ins, black hair, dark eyes, fresh face (complexion).

Comment

Had a look for Robert

1891 in Bulwell single

1901 in Barnsley widowed

Found an article about Robert and Thomes Holmes, same household 1891
                                    Attached Files
                                    Elaine

Comment

Can't see anything on FMP military records.
                                      OK thanks Lin Fisher

teasie that gives a little more info, though my Mark was an Ag Lab.. so maybe not the same person?

I have just realised that I haven't had a look at the most important fact.. could he be dead? that would account for children being in the WH in 1881?
                                      Julie

Comment

Elaine thank you. that certainly gives me something to work with.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X