1921 free ? at these places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1921 free ? at these places

Just seen this assume it means this includes the 1921 for free?

To view further information on each person would cost £2.50 - a expense if you're investigating a distant relative with limited information.

However, with a quick trip to London, these records become free to view.

The digital images are accessible at the National Archives at Kew in London, as well as Manchester Central Library and the National Library of Wales.

FindMyPast is also free to visitors in these locations, making it an easy option for those hoping to trace their history from 100 years ago.

Yes it's free at those three locations, perfect for anyone who lives near by.

Comment

Sadly not worth it if you live more than a short bus ride away. You'd spend more on your journey and maybe staying overnight, than you would manage to download images (£3.15 for FMP subscribers). I definitely would never spend money on transcriptions anywhere though!
      Anne

Comment

dare say you would have to wait for a pc to be free anyway

Comment

I think you can book a pc for 2 hours initially and then hourly at staff discretion if it’s not busy. Might have to swap pcs if someone has prebooked a particular machine. That was someone’s experience in Manchester I think. Saw it online somewhere - Lost Cousins newsletter maybe?

Comment

I think I heard that you can take your own laptop or tablet and log on to their network. But I might have dreamt that
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

You can't book a computer at TNA, and don't need to, there are plenty. You can use your own laptop there to access the 1921 for free by connecting to a dedicated wi-fi connection, so you can sit in the coffee shop and do all your 1921 research if you want.

I plan a visit to do just that in the next couple of weeks.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 26-01-22, 10:36.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I only had 7 families to look up so i didnt mind paying...Found a couple of things i didnt know so was worth it to me...

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

Hi I visited The National Archives at Kew last Tuesday. It was a very easy, stress free visit. I took my ipad in case there were no pcs available but there were plenty. To view the 1921 records you have to log into the archives wifi, again no problem, but any records you wanted to keep I was e mailing them to myself to save and print at home. We spent about 4 hours there in total and the staff were very friendly. I believe with your own pc/ipad etc you can sit in the coffee shop again logging on to their wifi and search the records. Long time to sit at the computer but worthwhile except for one errant uncle who is nowhere to be found .........

Edit: I apologise I have repeated what others had posted!
                  Last edited by Gill D; 27-01-22, 12:45.

Comment

Working...
                  X