Relationship help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relationship help please

I'm tired and my brain is hurting trying to sort out intertwined lines of BAIRDs and MITCHELLs.

George MITCHELL c.1801 - 1883 (son of George MITCHELL and Elizabeth LAPRAIK) marries twice.
    1. 1826 Agnes REID c.1801 - 1831 (likely parents James REID and Mary STEEL). Two children Mary 1828 - ?? and Elizabeth 1830 - 1903
    2. 1841 Jean MITCHELL 1801 - 1890 (daughter of John MITCHELL and Margaret MERRIE). Jean was a widow and married for the 2nd time using her maiden name. 2 children George 1841 - ?? and Margaret 1842 - 1919

Jean MITCHELL 1801 - 1890 as mentioned above marries twice
    1. Abt 1828 Andrew BAIRD 1792 - between 1833-1841 (son of James BAIRD and Jean MILLAR). 4 children James 1829 - 1914, John 1830 -??, Andrew 1831 - ?? and Hugh 1833 - ??
    2. 1841 George MITCHELL as above.

1852 James BAIRD 1829 - 1914 marries Elizabeth MITCHELL 1830 - 1903
    What relation are James and Elizabeth to each other?? It ought be easy to work it out but my brain keeps fogging over. Can somebody please tell me what it is?
    Many thanks.

They are stepbrother and stepsister aren’t they, with 4 completely different biological parents, so no blood relationship at that level?
    (Ok, it’s 1.15am so I’m not at my sharpest, but hopefully someone will come along and correct this, if wrong.

There may be a blood relationship between Elizabeth Mitchell and James Baird via grandparents if it turns out that Elizabeth’s paternal grandfather George Mitchell is somehow related to James Baird’s maternal grandfather John Mitchell - but you haven’t thrown that possibility into the mix, so I won’t even attempt to go down that road...

Christine

Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I agree they are not blood related but can't work out the relationship but sure you are right Christine.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

From the date you give for the George Mitchell and Jean Mitchell marriage of 1841 and the ages of their respective children by their first marriages, you’d think that both households would have merged/blended at that point, although it’s possible that older children might have been farmed out to other relations, or already working elsewhere.
        Was the 1841 too late for them to all be together in the 1841 census? Are they all together in 1851 before Elizabeth and James Baird married?

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Karamazov Lin Fisher
          Thanks for working that out for me.
          I am not aware at the moment of any relationship of the four parents but as my MITCHELLs are as intertwined as a jungle full of vines, there may well be
          John MITCHELL and Margaret MERRIE are my direct line. They definitely married as all their children were baptised as “lawfully procreat” but there’s no marriage in the Old Parish Registers.
          There are more than a few researchers with different ideas as to the parents of both John and Margaret which I’d why I haven’t so far got any further back than this couple although I have the same possible parents as a few others. Every opinion has appeared in trees as “fact” but there nowhere near enough evidence in any of them, some have have none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
            From the date you give for the George Mitchell and Jean Mitchell marriage of 1841 and the ages of their respective children by their first marriages, you’d think that both households would have merged/blended at that point, although it’s possible that older children might have been farmed out to other relations, or already working elsewhere.
            Was the 1841 too late for them to all be together in the 1841 census? Are they all together in 1851 before Elizabeth and James Baird married?

Christine
            On the 1851 census most of the BAIRD boys are with still George and Jean along with George and Jean’s youngest child Margaret.

Comment

Working...
            X