Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaftesbury Homes - children's home?

Good evening,

I had some great help with my previous post 'Missing daughters from 1921 census', which leads me on to a question about what was found. It looks like the 2 missing daughters were at Shaftesbury Homes and Arethusa Training Ship in Bisley Surrey, they are on the census as 'visitors'.

I have done some googling and it looks like a children's home but for boys.

Does anyone know anything about these children's homes or how I can find out further information? Are there any other records that I could try and get hold of?

Thank you

Esther

When searching did you come across this site? Go to the bottom and you'll see a couple of books have been written and other links including the LMA.
    Last edited by keldon; 13-01-22, 17:21.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Perhaps they had older brothers or half brothers at these institutions and just happened to be visiting on census day?

Comment

GallowayLass They did have older brothers but they are both on the census for the family home with their father, step mother and younger sister.

Comment

I did wonder if they had any connection with the master? but they his certainly not from their neck of the woods.

Robert Beuker (?) Roberts wife Jessie Mitchell (as MiL living with them also)

Do you only get the page they are on or do you get the page for the whole school? Were there any other visitors?

I also see that they are clearly marked as whole time at school, so assume that they are at school elsewhere.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

cbcarolyn Yeah there are a couple more pages that it allows me to view. I tried attaching them to this post but the files are too big. Are you happy for me to email them to you at the same email address?

Thank you

Esther

Comment

cbcarolyn Do you know if there is a way of looking at school records. I was wondering if I could see if they were registered at a school near where they lived?

Comment

yes of course send to email no problem. There are some school records on Ancestry have you checked there. not sure if they are there for that period, think they are older as I have found my grandparents on them
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

cbcarolyn I have emailed them across. I have just signed up for a month of Ancestry to see if I can find anything about schools records.

Esther

Comment

Working...
                  X