Handwriting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handwriting

Search the 1911 census for Edwin John Colthup age 30 and look at the last entry. The transcriber has assumed that this is the same surname as the others, but the first letter looks like a G as it is in "General" and she is a servant not shown as a family member. I thought it should be Goldup but I cannot find a Mary Goldup of the right age in 1891 or the BMD although there are a couple close if the age given in 1911 is out.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Not finding Edwin John Colthup on Ancestry 1911.
    Anne

Comment

I have found it in Ancestry
      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...5&pId=50678632

transcribed as Edwin John Goldup
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-01-22, 22:22.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The servant seems to have a different name Goldup, but the Colthups have been transcribed with her name on Ancestry.

it looks as though the servant Ada Mary Goldup is fairly easy to follow on Ancestry and is no relation
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks ladies. Looks like both Ancestry and FMP which I used have treated them as the same surname but have chosen different names. I understand that when they are transcribed, for security reasons each transcriber only sees one column so they would have been unable to see that Mary was a servant and unlikely to be a family member and would have assumed that they were all the same family. since they were so similar.
          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
          X