Children's convalescent home, Churt, Frensham and Farnham, Surrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children's convalescent home, Churt, Frensham and Farnham, Surrey

Hello, does anyone know anything about the above. I have found a 13 year old girl there in 1921 but can't find anything about the place. I have read that they would not have been obliged to keep records but wondered if anyone knew anything about it at all. Thank you!

what is the address? wondering if it was renamed. Can see there was a TB sanatorium in Farnham.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Hello, the address is as I typed it in the post. No more details, except it said 'con' home which I assumed was a convalescent home. Thanks.

Comment

Is this any use? Scroll down to the discussion section

https://www.exploringsurreyspast.org...averley/churt/

UPDATE: ignore this one. Wrong place see #5
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-01-22, 14:04.

Comment

1911 census address

Children's Convalescent Home, Millbridge Road, Tilford Road, Churt, Frensham, Surrey, England

The Matron, Miss Mary R. Barton was also there in 1901 as Mary Barton, Superintendent, Con Home so the place had been in existence for at least 20 years prior to 1921 but there’s nothing on the census images to say which institution or charity ran the place.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-01-22, 13:52.

Comment

Ignore!
            Last edited by teasie; 13-01-22, 13:55.

Comment

I can see that it gets a mention in the newspaper in 1933 as the nearby heath was on fire, no more than it being a children's convalescent home.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks for that anyway. I appreciate it.

Comment

So odd I can't find it mentioned in the papers any other time, there are many convalescent homes around - and some linked to hospitals, and some privately/charity funded that crop up in reports. None of them say what they are so assume they are very much like the hospitals that we now have where people go to recover from anything, but don't need medical hospital care.

You could try searching for her name in the papers, she may have been recovering from some newsworthy thing.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

1891 census: I’ve tried all the transcripts for households in Tilford Road, Farnham, Surrey which is definitely a rural area but no sign of an institution.
                    Millbridge Road didn’t have a match but Mill Bridge, Frodsham does. Again I drew a blank on institutions. A rather prosperous wee place by the looks of it. Working class folks and servants but skilled tradesmen and well off households as well.
                    I also just the county of Surrey with no place and the birth year 1881+/-10 trying to narrow it down to people who would count as children in 1891 and chose occupation Patient and then tried Inmate but got nothing that fitted.
                    I also tried just the county as Surrey and picked address filters of everything in that began with ‘con’ that turned out to contain the word convalescent and got only 9 results for the ‘Children Convalescent Home’, Brighton Road, Croydon, Surrey.
                    Unless I have missed something, it looks like the property was either a new build or a takeover of an old large house and came into existence between 1891 and 1901. That should narrow it down a bit for newspaper searches but I’ll pass on that if you don’t find as I am hopeless at searching them
                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-01-22, 20:05.

Comment

Working...
                    X