Ww1 Gallipoli medical records Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ww1 Gallipoli medical records Help

Hi all, after a long illness I'm now back on the search for some records that are eluding me. I'm trying to get hold of my grandfather's medical records whilst he served in Gallipoli. I'm trying to find out which hospitals he went to, the ships he was transported on and his illness/injuries.

Robert Gardner cz/1375
    Nelson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division
    Arrived at Gallipoli on 20th August 1915.

Twice Hospitalised
    13th September 1915
    8th October 1915

I'm almost certain he would have been sent to one of the hospitals around Mudros on the island of Lemnos.Any help would be gracefully recieved.TIA

Nick
    Last edited by snowywhite; 10-01-22, 15:52.

Not having much luck tracing his records. Lots on FMP. I can see in Forces War Records Robert was in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and was wounded in 1918. He was a Leading Seaman. Next of Kin Kirkintilloch. Please confirm dob.

Vera

Comment

Hi Vera

Robert Gardner d.o.b is 01.10.1896 was born Kirkintilloch and finished as a Leading Seaman

I know he had influenza and was gassed in France after he had been moved into 63rd Division M.G Battalion. Its Gallipoli I'm having problems with.
      Last edited by snowywhite; 10-01-22, 20:00.

Comment

I can see a lengthy service record on NA. Will look for specifics re admissions if there are any online

Vera

Comment

Have you searched these records?:

Search fmp - British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records

Citation information
          Hospital admission and discharge registers
          Source information
          War Office: First World War Representative Medical Records of Servicemen
          Publisher
          Find My Past
          Repository information
          The National Archives

My grandfather was at Gallipoli in 1915/16 and was hospitalised twice . I have two records for the hospital at Alexandria and one from the HM Hospital Ship "Assaye" - All FindMyPast. None of these records have an address on - only his Service No.

I don't have his Service Records they were destroyed but found his UK, WWI Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 on Ancestry which is the only record I've found that has both his home address together with his Service No so I knew for certain the records on FMP were for my grandfather.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-01-22, 20:40. Reason: added link
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There is a record for him on FMP for 13 Nov 1916 -18th General Hospital

Also
            13 Mar 1918 Hospital -149th Field Ambulance
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-01-22, 21:08. Reason: add info
            Kat

Comment

Thanks for your help Katarzyna, unfortunately I can't afford get onto either of the sites you've reccomended at this moment in time. I know I've worked hard to find out everything about Roberts service, medical history etc in France, it just the finer details I'm struggling with whilst he served in Gallipoli. Robert joined underage at 17 lying about his age, moved from Glasgow to Crystal Palace trying depot before moving to Blandford Camp. I found out when he travelled to Gallipoli, the route he took , the stops he made and ships he travelled on.

Comment

I have checked out the medical records for Robert on FMP. Not coming up checking on those indexed. I have also browsed for Robert from June 1915 to 31 Dec 1915 19th General Hospital. Can't see Robert Gardner RND Nelson although many others on there.

Not sure if these dates include initial admission to one of the hospital ships at Gallipoli. Wonder if he recovered on the ship and returned to RND Nelson without being admitted to 19th General Hospital in Alexandria.

Not sure if you have service history from National Archives. It can be downloaded free at this time. I came by it from Ancestry but you can get it direct from NA

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 11-01-22, 16:36.

Comment

Hi Vera yes I've got Roberts military history records there just vague when it comes to Gallipoli
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

I've dates of casualty dates for Gallipoli but nothing about being shipped anywhere or what hospitals used

Comment

From reading up. Sick men and women would be sent to Hospital Ships at Gallipoli. Then transferred to a Hospital facility which is likely to be one in Egypt at Alexandria ie 19th General Hospital. There are men from RND Nelson at the 19th General on FMP for the period Robert was admitted to hospital twice but no Record of Robert I can see.

Have you tried the Military forums. They may be able to help with likely hospital

EDIT just googled there were 4 hospitals serving the Dardenelles. Will check them out on FMP

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 11-01-22, 17:41.

Comment

Have sent you a pm Nick.
                        Kat

Comment

Thanks Katarzyna

Comment

I've managed to whittle down the Casualty clearing stations (CCS) at Gallipoli at the time down to one of 10 so far. From the 70 active stations.

Comment

I imagine this would be a good book to get hold of:

Nelson at War 1914-1918: The History of the Nelson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division
                              by R C Swales

"The Royal Naval Division, a fighting formation of naval ratings and Royal Marines, was formed at the instigation of Winston Churchill at the beginning of the First World War. At first under the control of the Admiralty, it fought at the defence of Antwerp in October 1914 and through the whole of the Gallipoli campaign. In 1916 the Admiralty handed the Division over to Army control. Re-named the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, it fought with great distinction and success with the BEF in France and Belgium. The division was always an odd ball formation, fighting under the White Ensign, and its eight naval battalions were named after great admirals. The greatest of them all, Vice Admiral Horatio, Viscount Nelson, gave his name to Nelson Battalion. Like the other naval battalions, the Nelson had a complement of officers and ratings of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and Royal Fleet Reserve seamen and stokers. Nearly 800 would lose their lives in the three and half years of its fighting existence. The book traces the history of Nelson Battalion from August 1914 to February 1918 when it was disbanded. Against the background of the battalions movements and battles the fate of its sailor-soldiers is revealed, more than 300 individuals being mentioned in the text. A full roll of honour is also included."
                              Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat I have this book, as well as the dvd rom of all the magazines that were produced I believe by Len Sellers from Hms shore base Crystal Palace all about the RND. This is where I managed to find out how and where my grandfather travelled to, to get to Gallipoli during August of 1915.
                                now working through CCS that were present in Gallipoli, Mudros and Alexandria during the two times Robert was wounded/illness.

Comment

Hi Katarzyna, I was just wondering if you recieved the PM I sent you a few days ago

Comment

Sorry, I had a brief look the other day but needed time to sort through.
                                    All these diaries are available to view on Ancestry(£) or visit the NA at Kew (free). I would suggest you take out a free trial for Ancestry if you haven't already had one before.

The diaries are not digitised so need to be searched visually. Therefore I could not search specifically for "Nelson" but it's mentioned a lot. Each day some diaries mention personnel by name when they are sent to a CCS but others do not. The diaries are either very descriptive or contain barest minimum of facts depending on the officer reporting.
                                    There are 35 diaries relating to Royal Navy Division in action for 1915.
                                    The clearing stations do not appear to name personnel [sometimes they do but usually only for higher ranks]
                                    61 diaries for 11th CCS with Royal Naval Division during 1915.

Kat

Comment

Thanks kat for all your help, I'll take a deeper in depth look this evening, not giving up until I found what I'm looking for. Trolling through Digital.NLS.uk at mo trying to find GF on Casualty lists for 1918, they only start from 1917 so no joy with Gallipoli and 1915.

Comment

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the Casualty lists aboard HS Dunluce Castle from Cape Helles, Gallipoli to Mudros on the 13th and 14th Sept 1915

Comment

Working...
                                        X