Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing daughters from 1921 census

Hi all,

I have purchased a 1921 census for my Great Grandfather and 2 of his daughters are missing from the census who would have been 12 and 13 at the time. Does anyone know a reason why this might be the case? Older and younger children are shown on the census document.

Thank you

Esther

Visiting with other family? In hospital?

Comment

In service!!. Can you not find their name and see who they are with without buying the census. Put curser over the transcript and it tells you a couple of names and how many in household.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I have purchased their Grandparents census on their fathers side and they are not on there. I don't know any other family members that they could have been with at the time. Is there anything else that I could try to help find out?

Comment

Have you tried just putting in a first name with the year of birth + or - 1 year and the birthplace?

I had to do this for my 2x great grandfather as his surname Abbott had been transcribed as Allitt.

Comment

Had difficulty finding Aunt. The form requests birthplace with County first. Finally found her using first name only and County as place of birth.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by EstherLesley View Post
              I have purchased their Grandparents census on their fathers side and they are not on there. I don't know any other family members that they could have been with at the time. Is there anything else that I could try to help find out?
              at 13 like Lin Fisher says they could have been in service eg living with another family and working, if you want to put their names on here someone maybe able to find them just by using different search criteria.
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 09-01-22, 13:56.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I had to use the 'first name only' method because the surname had been indexed as Doyland instead of Hoyland. Sadly even a search for 'similar' does not pick up transcription errors at the start of the name. And who can guess what they might have thought it began with! It was perfectly obvious on the actual image.
                Anne

Comment

Away at school?

Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies. There names were Esther Cohen (also known as Hetty) born Jan 1908 in Shoreditch London and Jane Cohen born Apr 1909 in Shoreditch London.

Thank you

Esther

Comment

Hi all,

I have purchased a 1921 census for my Great Grandfather and 2 of his daughters are missing from the census who would have been 12 and 13 at the time. Does anyone know a reason why this might be the case? Older and younger children are shown on the census document.

Thank you

Esther
                      What was g.grandfather's name and where was he living? What other names were with him?

There's a few on this search result - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/...ountry=england -are these the results you have already seen?
                      Last edited by Gardengirl; 09-01-22, 17:23.
                      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Gardener Girl My g.grandfathers name was Mark Cohen b. 1879. The others on the 1921 census are his wife Annie, his children from a previous marriage, Morris, Debby and Harry and then a daughter from his marriage to Annie named Hilda. Random fact about Hilda, she was in a Star Wars film, The Elephant Man and Blakes 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post

What was g.grandfather's name and where was he living? What other names were with him?

There's a few on this search result - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/...ountry=england -are these the results you have already seen?
                          I couldn't resist! Esther plus Jane then Jane plus Esther birthplace London and 1908 +/- 2 years ends up with just the one result. Right order for the ages of the two girls - I'd take a punt on that one!
                          Cohen Esther 1907 — 1921 1921 Census Of England & Wales Whitechapel, London & Middlesex, England
                          Cohen Jane 1908 — 1921 1921 Census Of England & Wales Whitechapel, London & Middlesex, England
                          I wish I could find my grandfather and his family so easily, even though I know the address they were normally at on May 15th 1921. Wildcards no good and even only using first name and YOB is no good.
                          Caroline
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

hee hee - I just did the same Caroline was just about to post. Seems a likely combo.

Hovering over will show you 3 other people in household too, which may mean something.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hi Caroline and cbcarolyn
                              I have tried the search for both names and I am getting 3 results. What am I doing wrong??? I am intrigued as to who's house they were at, it would be so cool if it were an Aunts or another family member I do not know about.

Esther

Comment

Only one has them at whitechapel?

edit just noticed that they are 2 different places in whitechapel, sorry.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 21.31.46.png

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 21.41.14.png
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

last one has wrong birth place, so not sure what to go for :( whitechapel is slightly closer to shoreditch? but MEOT not that far either.
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 09-01-22, 22:01.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Hi Caroline and cbcarolyn
                                    I have tried the search for both names and I am getting 3 results. What am I doing wrong??? I am intrigued as to who's house they were at, it would be so cool if it were an Aunts or another family member I do not know about.

Esther
                                    I used advanced search - first for Jane with Esther in the household and then for Esther with Jane in the household same span for years and London as place of birth for both of them and noticed that there was just the one match with the same location in the results. If they were in service or at school they needn't be in the same place as their birth.
                                    Caroline

Comment

the Whitechapel ones do appear to be in different parishes, so maybe a coincidence. What a pain, when you have to pay per view, as probably easy to find with a few glances at records.

were are the rest of the family in 1921?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        the Whitechapel ones do appear to be in different parishes, so maybe a coincidence. What a pain, when you have to pay per view, as probably easy to find with a few glances at records.

were are the rest of the family in 1921?
                                        I was puzzled by that as I didn't see the parish on my results and then realised I had searched 1921 via the usual census search page.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X