Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is he?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where is he?

    Trying to find a Gordon Hart Cox, can anyone help further please, maybe on the 1939 register, if possible.

    He was born in 1884 Plymouth, 1901 he was in Islington, 1911 with his wife, Nellie in Deptford. He died in Thanet 1965, I have not been able to locate him on the 1939 register. I am hoping to find him on the 1921 census, but that will wait.

    He left his wife Nellie sometime after 1911 but I have no idea where he went, who with, or when he arrived in Kent as a hotelier

    Thanks for any leads

  • #2
    From the electoral registers on Ancestry it looks like they may be separated around 1932

    1932 Electoral Register 36 Reckitt Road, Chiswick
    Gilbert Allison
    Gordon Hart Cox
    Nellie Florence Cox

    1933 Electoral Register 36 Reckitt Road, Chiswick
    Gilbert Allison
    Nellie Florence Cox
    Henry Wilcocks

    Nellie is at this address upto the 1939 electoral registers but does not appear on the 1939 register.

    No one obvious jumping out for Gordon on the 1939 Register.

    Jay

    Comment


    • #3
      This could be him on the 1939 Register, with a birth year recorded as 1885 not 1884.

      141 Whitchurch Lane, Stanmore, Harrow
      Gordon Cox B 06/01/1885, married, kitchen porter

      There's another 7 people at this address but appear to be unconnected.
      Last edited by JayG; 08-01-22, 19:20.
      Jay

      Comment


      • #4
        do you know his DoB? there is a Gordon Cox in Harrow as a kitchen porter - have you seen him?

        Birth is a year out 6 Jun? 1885
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

        Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

        Comment


        • #5
          The will states he had a widow Mary Ellen Cox - have you seen the will?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

          Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

          Comment


          • #6
            There is an In Memoriam notice in the Thanet Times 7 May 1974:

            Cox, Gordon Hart (George)
            In fond remembrance of George, who died, 5 May, 1965 , the beloved husband of Mollie, who died, 16 January, 1968, RIP Maureen and Peter.

            Comment


            • #7
              JayG - thank you for the electoral registers you found, Nellie Cox died in 1939, so that is the reason she is not appearing on the 1939. Gordon Hart Cox and Nellie did separate but I am not sure what year, but by you confirming they did not appear peoplearound 1932 so that would give an indication of approximately when. Would you be able to post details of the 7 other people please.

              cbcarolyn and JayG - that entry could well be Gordon Hart Cox, according to his birth certificate he was born in 1884, but as we all know sometimes birth dates/years do get forgotten.

              cbcarolyn - I do have the will of Gordon Hart Cox, and it is how you say, they must have married but I have not managed to confirm a marriage as yet. Years ago I did think it could of been in Camberwell in 1921, but he was with Nellie Cox on the 1932 electoral register. Also, Nellie and Gordon Hart Cox were married in Camberwell in 1907.

              Jill on the A272 - Thank you for posting the memoriam notices, I have not ever seen that, but I was wondering why the date of that notice from the Thanet Tmes was from 1974. The 5 May 1965 was certainly what it says on Gordon Hart Cox's death certificate, looks like he was known as George, and Mollie may have been known as Mary Ellen Cox?

              Jill, not sure what this refers to - 6 January, 1968, RIP Maureen and Peter.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ewen View Post

                Jill on the A272 - Thank you for posting the memoriam notices, I have not ever seen that, but I was wondering why the date of that notice from the Thanet Tmes was from 1974. The 5 May 1965 was certainly what it says on Gordon Hart Cox's death certificate, looks like he was known as George, and Mollie may have been known as Mary Ellen Cox?

                Jill, not sure what this refers to - 6 January, 1968, RIP Maureen and Peter.
                People often put in memoriam notices on the anniversary of a death, not so much these days. I would guess that 6 Jan 1968 would be the death of the Mollie mentioned and Maureen and Peter would be the people who paid for the notice to be put in, so related in some way.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ewen View Post
                  JayG - thank you for the electoral registers you found, Nellie Cox died in 1939, so that is the reason she is not appearing on the 1939. Gordon Hart Cox and Nellie did separate but I am not sure what year, but by you confirming they did not appear peoplearound 1932 so that would give an indication of approximately when. Would you be able to post details of the 7 other people please.

                  cbcarolyn and JayG - that entry could well be Gordon Hart Cox, according to his birth certificate he was born in 1884, but as we all know sometimes birth dates/years do get forgotten.

                  cbcarolyn - I do have the will of Gordon Hart Cox, and it is how you say, they must have married but I have not managed to confirm a marriage as yet. Years ago I did think it could of been in Camberwell in 1921, but he was with Nellie Cox on the 1932 electoral register. Also, Nellie and Gordon Hart Cox were married in Camberwell in 1907.

                  Jill on the A272 - Thank you for posting the memoriam notices, I have not ever seen that, but I was wondering why the date of that notice from the Thanet Tmes was from 1974. The 5 May 1965 was certainly what it says on Gordon Hart Cox's death certificate, looks like he was known as George, and Mollie may have been known as Mary Ellen Cox?

                  Jill, not sure what this refers to - 6 January, 1968, RIP Maureen and Peter.
                  The people in the notice are his children with MMN Jones, were they not mentioned in the will?
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

                  Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jill on the A272 - thank you for the clarification, when I first read the notice I thought it was part of another noitce saying rest in peace Maureen and Peter. That is very interesting because on Gordon Hart Cox's death certificate the informant was a Maureen Sterling, step-daughter, Sandalwood, Shamley Green, Surrey. I have never been able to find out any more about this person, I have even visited Shamley Green, must have been at least 20 years ago to see if I could find Sandalwood but with no luck.

                    cbcarolyn - don't quite understand MMN Jones? The only person mentioned in the 'deceased died intestate no will available' document was a Mary Ellen Cox of Arlington Gardens

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ewen you can find mothers maiden names in various indexes now (various date ranges)

                      if you go to GRO and search in 1930 for Cox P**** and maiden name Jones male you will find a person - ) am not sure if the person is still alive so I don't want to post details on here, but you can see the details for yourself. Female with the first name you have M****** 1932

                      So I assume that these are the children of the marriage, If I have found the right marriage.
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-01-22, 17:39.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

                      Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think this is the son, death registered in 2008:
                        Mr Peter Albert Charles Cox
                        Male
                        78
                        6 Jul 1930
                        Woking, Surrey, England
                        Gu22
                        11 Sep 2008
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

                        Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          cbcarolyn - I have been researching my family for almost 30 years now, and I have just literally found out what MMN stands for 🙄🙄

                          So, this helps me understand what you said in your previous message. Also, Nellie and Gordon Hart Cox were married in Camberwell in 1907, I don't know what marriage you found. Don't know what to think about Maureen and Peter being the result of this marriage.

                          Gordon Hart Cox's death certificate the informant was a Maureen Sterling, step-daughter, Sandalwood, Shamley Green, Surrey.

                          The informant being a step-daughter called Maureen Sterling, does muddy the waters


                          If anyone else can help with this from the electoral registers on Ancestry wondering where Gordon Hart Cox, was his then wife in 1933 was living in Chiswick

                          Many thanks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Or, finding this pair on the 1939 register may help -

                            Peter A C Jones aged 9 and Maureen J Jones aged 7 - Middlesex or Surrey

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ewen View Post
                              Jill on the A272 - thank you for the clarification, when I first read the notice I thought it was part of another noitce saying rest in peace Maureen and Peter. That is very interesting because on Gordon Hart Cox's death certificate the informant was a Maureen Sterling, step-daughter, Sandalwood, Shamley Green, Surrey. I have never been able to find out any more about this person, I have even visited Shamley Green, must have been at least 20 years ago to see if I could find Sandalwood but with no luck.

                              cbcarolyn - don't quite understand MMN Jones? The only person mentioned in the 'deceased died intestate no will available' document was a Mary Ellen Cox of Arlington Gardens
                              I can confirm that there is also a P**** living at that address in 1959 on reg of electors, so guess that must be who they are, and not the births I mentioned.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

                              Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                cbcarolyn - Just as a final confirmation a P**** and a M****** S******* were living at Shamley Green Surrey on the 1959 reg of electors, thank you

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by ewen View Post
                                  cbcarolyn - Just as a final confirmation a P**** and a M****** S******* were living at Shamley Green Surrey on the 1959 reg of electors, thank you
                                  yes the exact address too Sandalwood, Shamley Green, Surrey., then there are no more reg of electors.

                                  Can't see your man on any later records.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

                                  Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    there is a will for Mary Ellen Cox Sandalwood address, worth getting that, might give you a clue if there were any other children, or step children
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

                                    Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Thank you cbcarolyn I think that would be the next step to buy the will for Mary Ellen Cox, I am of the idea that Maureen sterling was the result of a previous marriage of Mary Ellen

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by ewen View Post
                                        Thank you cbcarolyn I think that would be the next step to buy the will for Mary Ellen Cox, I am of the idea that Maureen sterling was the result of a previous marriage of Mary Ellen
                                        yes you said on death cert she was a step daughter to Gordon, but if she had step children they maybe mentioned in the will. You maybe able to deduce Mary Ellens maiden name as I assume that you don't have this as not found the marriage. got to be worth £1.50 - might solve a few things.

                                        did you have Nellie florence death cert?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

                                        Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X