canada help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canada help please

I have found Patty Allen Graham , born Bury Lancs in 1893 ( baptized Martha Allen Graham ) on a passenger list dated August 1912, immigration place Quebec City on the Corsican.

I have records of her from birth to this date but don't know where to look next.
    I don't have world ancestry and don't even know how the Canadian records work. Please can anyone point me in the right direction or help at all?
    Cath.

Not very good with Foreign research but Family Search has loads of Canadian records. Since they have changed the layout I find it difficult to search but Patties Immigration records are there and it says British Bonus Allowed. Wondered if they got help with the cost of the journey.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks. That's as far as I'd managed to get.
      Cath.

Comment

mmmmm british bonus allowed might mean that she is headed for a place needing more people..... like the prairies... google 1916 Canada Census and try there. If she headed for Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba she may appear on the census. The government did a 5 year census for the Prairies because there was so much immigration the 1911 census was way out of date. If she married in Alberta or Manitoba you can look in their Vital Statistics. I think Manitoba is indexed... not sure which years have been opened. Alberta is not indexed. you have to go through the years one at a time. Go to the GA page. First consonant and first vowel.
        Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

there were some Canadian newspapers that i found when looking for someone else, but can't remember what they are called. you might get lucky. will see if I can find a link.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

There's not a lot on the FMP page but the ancestry one says she was bound for St. John, New Brunswick. She was previously a domestic, intends to work as a domestic and she is Protestant which I thought a bit odd for an English born lass. I'd have expected her to be listed as C E for Church of England as are some others on the page. Were her family of Scots descent and attended a Church of Scotland / Presbyterian church?

ancestry has this dataset but I don't see a match for her there New Brunswick, Canada, Marriages, 1789-1950

I haven't found her in the Canada 1921 census either.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 08-01-22, 19:51.

Comment

what date was she born?

Comment

I found the birth certificate registered as Martha Allen Graham 1894 mms McLellan on ukbmd.org. Not got any further with a baptism. 1901 census, she is still Martha but by 1911 census she's Patty as per the passenger lists. If she was born 1893 then it must have been near the end of the year.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 08-01-22, 21:59.

Comment

I found this website before, it covers BC and doesn't appear to have Patty/Martha on there:

it covers "Search our indexes to births (1854-1903), marriages (1871-1945), deaths (1872-2000), colonial marriages (1859-1872) and baptisms (1836-1888)."

thought it was worth a mention if you found a marriage
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

there are so many with that name its hard to pin one down but, what about this death

DetailSource
                    Martha A. Graham Harkness
                    Hillside, Section 2, Portage la Prairie
                    Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, Canada
                    Martha A. Graham Beloved Wife Of M. H. Harkness Died May 28, 1925 Aged 63 Yrs 2 Mos
                    https://canadianheadstones.com/view?id=1729734

Comment

on this thread you said that Thomas Junior went to Canada, can you remind me who this is and where he went? would they have been togtehr
                      Please is anyone able to look at 1901 census for Charles Samuel Howe and his wife Lily A both born approx 1874 and living (probably) in Middlesex. Any details very gratefully accepted. Thanks.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Hi there, I have a sub to Newspapers.com, but didn't find any mention of her there. I also checked out ancestry world, but couldn't find any mention of her there. However there was something written along side her name, but couldn't read it.
                        I checked the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, but nothing there too.
                        Tomorrow when I am not so tired, I will look at the passenger list again and see if I can work it out.
                        Have you checked the UK 1921 census? It is quite possible that she may have returned to the UK - many did.

bcbrit
                        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

NB I googled this:
                          • British Bonus: a commission paid by the Canadian government's Immigration Branch to steamship booking agents in the United Kingdom for each suitable immigrant who purchased a ticket to sail to Canada. The immigrants themselves did not receive a bonus.

I have a friend that researched her tree that went to those areas and they were pretty tough, wonder how a single young female would do? thinking she may have been joining someone?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            on this thread you said that Thomas Junior went to Canada, can you remind me who this is and where he went? would they have been togtehr
                            https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...ent-1874/page2
                            No Carolyn. He did his disappearing act after WW1 and we still can't find him. Got his wife in Australia though but no sign of him anywhere.
                            Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post

No Carolyn. He did his disappearing act after WW1 and we still can't find him. Got his wife in Australia though but no sign of him anywhere.
                              did you dismiss Canada for him? or just couldn't find enough? what is his wifes name?
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Looking again at the one for 1925 Thomas Graham b Bury to Canada to stay with Friend D Earle. Thomas is an Interpreter. Thomas wife Sarah living in Eastcliff, Folkestone. Did we dismiss this one?

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                  Looking again at the one for 1925 Thomas Graham b Bury to Canada to stay with Friend D Earle. Thomas is an Interpreter. Thomas wife Sarah living in Eastcliff, Folkestone. Did we dismiss this one?

Vera
                                  I had spotted that one, and was wondering what we knew about him As that part of Canada was more 'deserted' I did wonder if she was going to meet someone.

I had forgotten that we started searching for family members - Cath RJ completely forgot how many children there were! Are all children traced - or some still outstanding? none went abroad?

Wonder why Patty ? there are many Patricia's and quite a few Marthas but no Patty's

I can't make out that word written afterwards, can see it written on another Upstairs? First column after dashes is post office - is that St John? province Alberta I assume?

patty.JPG patty.JPG

Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

She's recorded on the outbound passenger lists as Miss P A Graham, a 19 year old domestic, bound for Quebec Montreal, So was she going to Montreal or St John? **Edited - the ship was destined for Montreal, so Patty was going to St John, New Brunswick.**

Carolyn I can't see that same word written against others but can see prepaid, Patty's definitely doesn't say that.
                                    Last edited by JayG; 09-01-22, 16:57.
                                    Jay

Comment

JayG
                                      the word was a few pages before. I can't read the ticket number as all blurred, I was trying to see the numbers either side of her - as was wondering if she was travelling with someone. As the list is in alpha order have 'lost' the travelling companions if there were any. did even wonder if she had gone with the family she was in service with at the time.

My world geography is rubbish...but getting better each day - I was in the wrong area of the country - have now googled new Brunswick (I had planned to revisit Canada after our first trip - sadly now DH has kidney disease that will never happen - so will learn from afar )

Can only make out 7 on the end which is annoying.

this is the same word I think on another passenger- still can't make it out

example.JPG

I still feel she would be meeting someone?
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 09-01-22, 17:35.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

@cbcarolyn I mustn't have gone far enough as I didn't see any on the pages I looked at.

Her passenger number is 13027 on the outgoing passenger list. This is in numerical order, the ones either side are 10761 and 16823 so it looks like she was travelling alone.
                                        Jay

Comment

Working...
                                        X