Closing Annie's story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Annie's story

Hey, I'm sure you may remember but I've asked for help in the past about the twin of my Great Grandfather, Annie Phillips and where she night have gone after the 1911 Census. At the time she was in Durham in a penitent home but I could never find a death or a marriage for her but thanks to the recent 1921 I've found she's back in Stockton-on-Tees. Living round the corner from her brother as a servant to a man who worked with her brother.

I messaged George's Granddaughter after finding that and she does recall her Mum visiting Annie but now it's left me back to square one as I cannot find a death or a marriage, I know she was 41 at the time but it could have happened as it did for her cousin.

I don't suppose anyone else may be able to see what I'm missing here? Annie & George were born on 11th Nov 1879 in Stockton-on-Tees to Robert Phillips and Hannah Cornforth. I've got George's life all figured but Annie is never solved and I don't have her on the 1939 so whatever event has happened had to be before then. At one point I even thought she'd moved to Australia to be with her sister's family to escape the stigma but if she's back in Stockton I'd say she certainly has settled back into her old life in a good way maybe?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

there is a death on 1934 in Stockton age 53, so could fit? someone may not have known her exact age
    PHILLIPS, ANNIE 53
    GRO Reference: 1934 M Quarter in STOCKTON Volume 10A Page 79
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-01-22, 15:08.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Apologies, perhaps I should have clarified that there was one that I'd tried getting from the registry office only to be told it was for a married woman and did I want to go through with buying it.

Comment

there are several marriages, quite costly getting certs to eliminate, what is her address on the 1921 census, I will have a look through the papers. did she have an occupation?
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-01-22, 20:34.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

1 Major Street as a Servant and the only article you will find is one where a Annie Phillips that I think is mine, is naming a possible father of one of her 3 illegitimate children and that was only found rather recently. Annie has been a major frustration in all the years I've searched for her and it doesn't help that she has a cousin of the same name born in the same year. I know Annie has a Great Grandson or Grandson that has been buying every certificate possible in order to find her with no luck.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe she did go towards Australia after all 🤨

Comment

Have you checked out these marriages (on Stockton Roots)

Annie Phillips to Stephen G Conway 1926

Annie Phillips to Robert Herron 1927
            Jay

Comment

I am actually looking into Herron at the moment, there's a 1939 in Sedgefield of a Robert born in the 1920's which could be their son as an Annie is living with him so might not be my Annie and the other one in Sedgefield doesn't have an Annie living with them. I'm using my phone at the moment so cannot look into it and the Annie Conway for that year is born about 10 years after mine I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                1 Major Street as a Servant and the only article you will find is one where a Annie Phillips that I think is mine, is naming a possible father of one of her 3 illegitimate children and that was only found rather recently. Annie has been a major frustration in all the years I've searched for her and it doesn't help that she has a cousin of the same name born in the same year. I know Annie has a Great Grandson or Grandson that has been buying every certificate possible in order to find her with no luck.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe she did go towards Australia after all 🤨
                Have you followed all of these children and also in the newspapers?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

John Phillips, 1902-1914. He was down in the 1911 Census as the adopted son Thomas Phillips and his wife. This is a brother of Annie & George, it was getting his birth certificate that provided the truth. 17th August 1914, PHILLIPS, John, On August 15th, John beloved son of Thomas & Elizabeth Hannah Phillips, cortege leaves 28 Major Street, Stockton for Durham Road Cemetery, please accept this. this was in the local paper and Thomas himself is also buried with him in 1937.

Robert William Phillips, 1905-1952 was born in Stockton Workhouse and baptised there. He is in the children's section of the workhouse in 1911 and married in 1934. I haven't had a look to see where his location is in 1921 yet but the rest of his life was spent in Stokesley.

George Frederick Phillips, 1907-1909. The only one to have a name not connected to the Phillips family in Frederick so I'm thinking it's a hint there and he was also born and died in the workhouse. He is buried in the same cemetery as John. In fact the distance to their graves is walking from the front of my house to the back with their grandfather in the middle, buried next to the infant children of George that never survived.

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                    Have you checked out these marriages (on Stockton Roots)

Annie Phillips to Stephen G Conway 1926

Annie Phillips to Robert Herron 1927
                    The second one looks good!

The marriage details on FreeBMD are Robert W Herron & Annie Phillips. There is a burial at Durham Road Cemetery on 7 Aug 1933 of Annie Herron aged 53, and another on 12 Jun 1940 of Robert William Herron aged 58.
                    Last edited by teasie; 08-01-22, 03:02.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

The second one looks good!

The marriage details on FreeBMD are Robert W Herron & Annie Phillips. There is a burial at Durham Road Cemetery on 7 Aug 1933 of Annie Herron aged 53, and another on 12 Jun 1940 of Robert William Herron aged 58.
                      that is so sad that she had finally found a partner after a tough life and died 6 years later :(
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

It is incredibly strange how emotional I'm feeling right now? I never thought I'd ever be able to close her story up after being told that Robert's descendants had bought every certificate possible in his quest to find her and it's so sad to know that she never saw Robert again as far as I'm aware but I wonder if she saw Johnny again as I call him? I know from the little I was able to find about the Penitent Home that you had to stay there for 2 years. She could have been halfway through her time during the 1911 census plus of course she had the time before she ended up there come to think of it.

Thank you to all of you for helping me to close this branch off at last.

Comment

I found out today that Annie's Grandson had passed away before finding out what happened to his Grandmother ☹️

It kind of makes it more sad, to know he spent years looking for her only for the 1921 leading the way towards finding her like I'd hoped it would.

Comment

Working...
                          X