Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Gardengirl That doesn't work for me I'm afraid :(

Edit: It only works for me if I put Head of household in - then it brought up 37 results. Among those were the other three in the household spread amongst the others not together but as you say HOH not displayed.
    I don’t think it’s always going to work but I have found two complete households so far, one without knowing the HOH. Some other families I have tried have so far been thwarted by not being able to find the name I was searching for at all - probably due to transcription errors. At least it’s another useful tool to find some extra information without paying for too many sheets.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

• Another tip to find the other household members.

Once you've found a person in the correct household:
      Note the name of the person you've found USE NAME AS DISPLAYED, not what it should be
      Note the 'Parish' and 'Registration District'

Click on 'Advanced Search' at the bottom of the page

On the 'Advanced Search' form
      Clear out the name completely
      Clear out the date of birth

Fill in 'Parish' and 'Registration District'

Go the bottom of the form and fill in 'Other Household Member' using the name as shown on your original search results.

Untick the 'Name Variants' for both names.

Now Search

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
      Gardengirl That doesn't work for me I'm afraid :(

Edit: It only works for me if I put Head of household in - then it brought up 37 results. Among those were the other three in the household spread amongst the others not together but as you say HOH not displayed.
      I was about to post this tip yesterday as I had discovered it for myself. It works if you enter any member of the household, not just the head. I also discovered that you must ensure all other fields are empty apart from the Parish and Registration District and the name in the "Other Household member" field. It is all too easy to overlook something from a previous search like a DoB or Surname and then it will not work.

Another thing I found was trying to look for my Mother when she was a few months old. I found her parents and siblings but no matter what I tried I could not find her. The other household members showed up several of the family when I hovered over the image icon on the right had side. I finally found her when I did the "Other Household member" search as above. The reason I had not been able to find her previously was that I had filled in the year of birth and place of birth fields. When I pulled up the whole family using the "Other Household Member " search, there she was with no age or place of birth showing. I can deduce from this that it was either not entered on the census or the transcriber omitted to record it. Either way, I am not too bothered as I know when and where she was born. All this is free and I might get the image once it becomes part of my FMP sub. For now, I intend to use this method for the more tricky people in my tree and see what turns up.

I hope this helps someone.

Pat
      Last edited by Elderflower; 11-01-22, 14:39.

Comment

• Elderflower
        It has worked for other people I know and just to say I did do exactly as you said - I started from scratch again today - same result! However the two households I looked for today worked perfectly. Thank you for the tip!
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• I posted this elsewhere, but thought it might be handy on this thread

If you put the enumeration district number in the advanced search you will see all the people in that place.

Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• cbcarolyn that's useful, thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
              I was going to resist the temptation but I failed and decided to look for my Dad born in 1916. My first search brought up 7 options, only one of which was in London so I paid to see the original only to find it was completely the wrong family! So I succumbed and tried again, searching for his mother’s name instead and paid again, just for the transcript this time. Lo and behold there they were BUT because they were living with my Dad’s grandparents, Dad had been transcribed with his grandfather’s surname instead of his mother! So, the only way to find out if this was a transcription error is to buy the original as well. If it proves to be a transcription error, do I get a refund on the first one? If it had been transcribed and indexed with the right surname I wouldn’t have bought the wrong one in the first place.

So, I succumbed to curiosity and it turns out to be a serious transcription error. My father was living with his mother and grandparents and had been transcribed with his grandparents surname instead of his mother. The original document is clear and correct. So FMP owe me a credit. I wonder if they will give it to me?
              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

So, I succumbed to curiosity and it turns out to be a serious transcription error. My father was living with his mother and grandparents and had been transcribed with his grandparents surname instead of his mother. The original document is clear and correct. So FMP owe me a credit. I wonder if they will give it to me?
                got to be worth an ask! Good news that you found them
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• I have now sent an email to support@..... requesting a credit against a future purchase. I'll report back if I get a reply.

Comment

I have now sent an email to support@..... requesting a credit against a future purchase. I'll report back if I get a reply.
                    Best of luck👍🏼
                    Everything crossed that they behave decently ... and they ought to give you a freebie.
                    Last edited by Rachel Scand; 22-01-22, 02:13.
                    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I was going to resist the temptation but I failed and decided to look for my Dad born in 1916. My first search brought up 7 options, only one of which was in London so I paid to see the original only to find it was completely the wrong family! So I succumbed and tried again, searching for his mother’s name instead and paid again, just for the transcript this time. Lo and behold there they were BUT because they were living with my Dad’s grandparents, Dad had been transcribed with his grandfather’s surname instead of his mother! So, the only way to find out if this was a transcription error is to buy the original as well. If it proves to be a transcription error, do I get a refund on the first one? If it had been transcribed and indexed with the right surname I wouldn’t have bought the wrong one in the first place.

Well, after a false start when they didn’t read my email correctly, last week I sent a second email explaining the problem and requesting a refund and today the refund was granted

This was their reply……

Thank you for getting back to us.

Transcription errors found without purchasing the transcript itself can be reported by emailing transcriptsupport@findmypast.com

Please include a link to the record and a brief description of the error, for example, the first name is recorded as Jo when the image shows it as John. Please use 1921 Census transcription update as the email subject line, this will allow us to correct errors quicker and more efficiently.

Further information can be found on the following page:
                      https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/ar...s-transcribed-

As for the incorrect record I have processed a refund of £3.15 back onto your payment card. Please allow 3-5 working days for this to show within your account.

Comment

Well, after a false start when they didn’t read my email correctly, last week I sent a second email explaining the problem and requesting a refund and today the refund was granted

This was their reply……

Thank you for getting back to us.

Transcription errors found without purchasing the transcript itself can be reported by emailing transcriptsupport@findmypast.com

Please include a link to the record and a brief description of the error, for example, the first name is recorded as Jo when the image shows it as John. Please use 1921 Census transcription update as the email subject line, this will allow us to correct errors quicker and more efficiently.

Further information can be found on the following page:
                        https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/ar...s-transcribed-

As for the incorrect record I have processed a refund of £3.15 back onto your payment card. Please allow 3-5 working days for this to show within your account.

how old fashioned to email it, why have they not got a 'button' lazy programming, silly

at least you got your money back!
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

• I tried looking into the Cook side of my family in 1921. Obviously no better than the Smiths I'm often researching. Well I found my grandparents after a bit of a struggle and they had transcribed Cook as "Book". I very silly error, although I haven't paid for it so maybe the C really does look like a B!

I long for the day I can pay a subscription to see these records, even if the cost is quite high. Paying so much for every single record is not something I'm going to do unless I'm certain seeing it will solve a major stumbling block in my research and I know just one page will help.

Comment

• Beefybeef are you within reasonable travelling distance of the National Archives at Kew? You can get free access to the 1921 census, for me it wouldn't take many entries to justify the cost of the train fare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                              Beefybeef are you within reasonable travelling distance of the National Archives at Kew? You can get free access to the 1921 census, for me it wouldn't take many entries to justify the cost of the train fare.
                              Hi Jill. I would be able to get there without too much trouble although train cost and reliability is so bad lately, I can't say I'd choose it. It's a great idea though if I had enough records worth viewing. With most my family I don't think it would be that much help, but in some cases it might be. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into what pages would be worth viewing for me and if it's worth the journey or not.

Comment

• When the 1921 census opened I didn't bother much because I know where all my close family was. There was only one I needed to check on.
                                However as time has gone on and I continue to research (mostly to connect DNA matches) I have bought a few images for quite distant relatives and each of them solved the problem and revealed that many other trees had 'got it wrong' haha!!! I hadn't envisaged me needing these images but they were invaluable and at £3.15 each only the price of a cup of coffee. So far I have bought 6 and they all were very well worth it.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                X