1921 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gloryer View Post

if you go back into the original you have to click on extra materials to see the front and cover of the census to find the address which is then filled in by the enumerator and difficult to read.....
    Thank you.

Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

In that case then you should be able to buy the transcript and upgrade to the original for £1
      shouldn't have to pay for both tbh. and address should be on image.

Comment

There is no sign of one family with a surname prone to transcription errors and one of the two I looked at has seriously silly transcription errors on a legible image!
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

if you go back into the original you have to click on extra materials to see the front and cover of the census to find the address which is then filled in by the enumerator and difficult to read.....
          Couldn’t find anything that said extra materials on the original, so I bit the bullet on my two purchases and paid extra for the transcripts.

Transcript showed my mother’s birth year as 1919. She was born in November 1918.
          Original clearly shows her age.

Not sure if I am allowed to post these here. Just find it strange that an address is not included with the original transcript. Father was serving abroad in the Royal Navy.

Best not to post any images on the site, so I took them away..
          Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

When you're looking at the original click the right arrow for the address page (no extra charge).

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
              When you're looking at the original click the right arrow for the address page (no extra charge).

scuda
              Thank you. It worked!

Comment

My aunt who got married the previous year and who is living with her parents with her husband and son is shown as married but is listed under her maiden name. I guess my grandfather still thought of her as part of his family and forgot that she had changed her name. This was in an era and a social class which did not entertain any novel feminist ideas so I doubt she retained her maiden name and she gives her married name in 1939.

PS site is working well at present, unlike in 2012.
                Last edited by webwiz; 06-01-22, 09:24.
                People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

yes with image of census, click "open filmstrip" then the images appear at bottom with new menu, click "extra materials" and finally on the image strip "front". definitely not easy process.

and you don't get the image cheaper if you already bought the transcript. full price on both (unless discount applies to you) but it isn't a pound extra to view the image. full price.

Comment

Go straight for the image ( as all good researchers should anyway) - don't waste money on the transcript
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I was going to resist the temptation but I failed and decided to look for my Dad born in 1916. My first search brought up 7 options, only one of which was in London so I paid to see the original only to find it was completely the wrong family! So I succumbed and tried again, searching for his mother’s name instead and paid again, just for the transcript this time. Lo and behold there they were BUT because they were living with my Dad’s grandparents, Dad had been transcribed with his grandfather’s surname instead of his mother! So, the only way to find out if this was a transcription error is to buy the original as well. If it proves to be a transcription error, do I get a refund on the first one? If it had been transcribed and indexed with the right surname I wouldn’t have bought the wrong one in the first place.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                        I was going to resist the temptation but I failed and decided to look for my Dad born in 1916. My first search brought up 7 options, only one of which was in London so I paid to see the original only to find it was completely the wrong family! So I succumbed and tried again, searching for his mother’s name instead and paid again, just for the transcript this time. Lo and behold there they were BUT because they were living with my Dad’s grandparents, Dad had been transcribed with his grandfather’s surname instead of his mother! So, the only way to find out if this was a transcription error is to buy the original as well. If it proves to be a transcription error, do I get a refund on the first one? If it had been transcribed and indexed with the right surname I wouldn’t have bought the wrong one in the first place.

the originals are filled in by the householder, not by the enumerator so it would be down to them how they list everybody, unless they are illiterate.

Comment

No chance finding my grandfather Leonard Smith as he isnt living in any of the places I expected. I looked at the possible ones to see who was also living there and none seem to be the correct one so will have to wait for the prices to be reduced before going down that path

Comment

Found my elusive great grandfather who abandoned his family and managed to evade the 1901 and 1911 censuses! I knew where he would be because he had married again after 1911.

I must say FMP make it easy to pay!!! I got the image (don't see the point of transcriptions) and my discount as a current FMP member with two clicks. Bit too easy really

Anne

Comment

I cant read the word thats been written over, begins with B... the child above is single but then as the ages go below 15 there is another word written over it . Any ideas please?

Comment

Can’t think, offhand, that there’s anybody I’m in desperate need of finding, so I shan’t be forking out any dosh at present but I had a look for mum’s parents to see what was available free.

At least it names them and her big sis!
                                I know where they were living, so that helped narrow it down but it’s a bit frustrating😉
                                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

gloryer Did you try searching for L*n* Sm*th* in case it’s mistranscribed plus do +\- 2 years on dob? He might also be there as Len or Lenny and a variant spelling of Smith.
                                  It seems there are a lot of errors in the transcripts.
                                  As well as my Gran’s forename being wrong, her year of birth was indexed as 1892 instead of 1893. Same with my Grandad. They were both literate people - she was/had been a nurse on the hospital wing of an asylum and he was an asylum warder in the same institution.
                                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-01-22, 10:43.

Comment

For your own sake as well as ours, it is best not to post any images (or offer to do lookups even if you are feeling flush!!).
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have never found an army record of a man born in 1899, but last night I got all excited ,as I thought I'd found him in the army, but then saw quite a few with his name so never bothered to view it.
                                      Is there anyway before you pay to narrow it down a bit.

By the way Jay yes thanks am okay hope you are

Comment

My great grandfather was john but known as jack. All documentation is john. But his father in law enumerated him as jack for this census. Thank god my great grandmother has an odd name lol

and yes, agree much easier to buy images this time round.

Comment

So far i am struggling to find my nan and her mother anywhere! they should either be in a small village in Suffolk or still in London, but no luck! i tried the family her mum was a servant for in 1911 but they dont seem to be around anymore. Going to take a bit of searching i think!
                                          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
                                          X