Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Sheath born abt 1812 Beaulieu

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
    My Great grandfather, Henry SHEATH was born in Beaulieu c. 1812 and was a blacksmith.
    Unfortunately, he married too early in the year 1837 for his father to be recorded in civil registration, but a good possible for his parents would be Thomas SHEATH and his wife Jane, who were raising their family in Beaulieu at the right time.
    Thomas was a blacksmith and had several children baptised in Beaulieu, including one in 1810 and another in 1816... so a convenient gap for my Henry between them, but although I've spent hours at Winchester Record Office going through fiche for Beaulieu and the surrounding parishes, there is no sign of a baptism to show parentage for Henry.
    Thomas was sometimes shown on those PRs to be 'of Bucklers Hard' and I went and searched there too, where an historian told me that he was probably involved with making nails and tools for the local boat building on the river.
    I've followed Henry's 'siblings' in case one was actually Henry under a different name, but they all have their own identity and known parentage.
    Some of them were blacksmiths too.
    George SHEATH, Henry's possible younger brother moved to Whippingham on the Isle of Wight and was a blacksmith there.
    Thomas and Jane lived near to him.
    Henry, my ancestor moved in the other direction and was involved with smith work in the Southampton docks.
    His son William also followed his trade, but sadly died young of typhoid at only 33 years old.

If anyone can offer any suggestions for finding records for Henry's parents, that would be great, please.
    Gwyn in Kent re your post on the Blacksmith thread I did look in the papers in the hope there maybe something there, but I came up with nothing other than a few notices, no mention of the rest of the family.

I thought I would start a new thread rather than confuse the Blacksmith one. Did you see the parish marriage record or just the transcript?

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 08.49.42.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 08.47.43.png

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 08.48.25.png

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 08.48.59.png

there are several about a young boy drowning, which maybe connected to your family.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

no help on parentage, and not sure whether this is the "father" of Henry or his brother, interesting to see that they did some work for the health board

Hampshire Independent 09 June 1866

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 09.19.59.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 09.21.08.png
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you for this new posting. Some of those news reports I had not seen.

The SHEATH connection with blacksmiths in Portsmouth is interesting, as my own family moved from Southampton to Portsmouth by 1881, after William's death..... a possible family link to be investigated.

It is some time since I worked on this line and not all the information has been transferred to my new lap top, but Yes, I always like to view actual Parish Records rather than transcripts and did so at Hampshire Record Office.

Comment

so the parish register only had same info as the transcript? if you have any more info that could search in the newspapers, I don't mind having a search through.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
        X