A will that made me smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A will that made me smile

Just been dipping into my tree and forgot I had not got the Aus wills for my family, not 100% certain that this is my man - but I just love his opening paragraph, and especially as he includes a sewing machine

I am sure I have others​
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

I was working on one from Mary Harland of Lindfield from 1706 where her "best Black hatt best Manto [mantua] and two best petty coats and my best stays" went to Jane Osborne while Elizabeth Marchant only gets "my two worst Mantoes and the petticoats belonging to them"

Comment

Jill on the A272 that is hilarious, I wonder whether it was well received
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

One of my great aunts left a stool to a niece, a bed settee, blankets, sheets and pillowcases to another niece, a Festival of Britain clock to a nephew and her sister got a food safe.
        Margaret

Comment

Not any chuckles in these wills but they were very useful to me.

In 1975 a very distant spinster relative left ÂŁ31,723, ÂŁ1,400 to personal legatees, her house to Father Trevor Huddlestone for the use of a black family & rest to Oxfam, Christian Aid, Lepra, a metal health charity & the Anti Bloodsports Society. Her siblings had all died childless. Administration with the will was granted to an official from Oxfam. She also left her SS Great Britain medal to her doctor, her mother was born aboard it off Cape Horn and a lot of googling let to it being one of those commemorative "coins" that some companies make.

Another distant cousin who died in 1973 was matron at a boys' school and in mature years married the headmaster who left her very well off. I had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the 42 beneficiaries and amendments made with 7 codicils. Only one was a relative, son of her late sister. Later some old boys wanted to erect a gravestone for the headmaster (d1948) though Emmeline had not wanted that and the church would not do it without permission, so the old boys obtained her will, contacted her executor and got permission from him and crowed about it in the school magazine. I imagine they must have disliked her to overturn her wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
            Not any chuckles in these wills but they were very useful to me.

In 1975 a very distant spinster relative left ÂŁ31,723, ÂŁ1,400 to personal legatees, her house to Father Trevor Huddlestone for the use of a black family & rest to Oxfam, Christian Aid, Lepra, a metal health charity & the Anti Bloodsports Society. Her siblings had all died childless. Administration with the will was granted to an official from Oxfam. She also left her SS Great Britain medal to her doctor, her mother was born aboard it off Cape Horn and a lot of googling let to it being one of those commemorative "coins" that some companies make.

Another distant cousin who died in 1973 was matron at a boys' school and in mature years married the headmaster who left her very well off. I had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the 42 beneficiaries and amendments made with 7 codicils. Only one was a relative, son of her late sister. Later some old boys wanted to erect a gravestone for the headmaster (d1948) though Emmeline had not wanted that and the church would not do it without permission, so the old boys obtained her will, contacted her executor and got permission from him and crowed about it in the school magazine. I imagine they must have disliked her to overturn her wishes.
            both interesting, I wonder why she didn't want the gravestone, I guess he wasn't buried.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              Just been dipping into my tree and forgot I had not got the Aus wills for my family, not 100% certain that this is my man - but I just love his opening paragraph, and especially as he includes a sewing machine

I am sure I have others​
              I can't see a link or image ?
              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Gardengirl
                ​​​​​​​I only did the excerpt in the post - are you saying you can't see it?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, all I can see is…

“Just been dipping into my tree and forgot I had not got the Aus wills for my family, not 100% certain that this is my man - but I just love his opening paragraph, and especially as he includes a sewing machine

I am sure I have others​“
                  Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Ditto - no excerpt?
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 27-12-21, 15:08.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Glad it’s not just me, Kat, my default in most things is to assume that I have done something wrong

Comment

ooh I don't know, I will re attach it william will.JPG
                        Attached Files
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Managed to do it twice now hee hee, is that there now?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, thank you

Comment

I obviously had done something odd!
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X