Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 Census help

Hello all,

Thank you for letting me join the forum - apologies that my first post is a request for help!

I'm struggling to find a family in the 1841 census, and at the minute I don't have a full size computer screen to use so the records are hard for me to read. I know that pages are missing, but I don't want to believe it's just my luck that I'd need those missing pages.

I'm looking to find the following family:
    • Stephen ALLISON (head) - age ~50
    • Eliza ALLISON (wife) - age ~35
    • Stephen John ALLISON (son) - age ~10
    • Eliza Harriet ALLISON (daughter) - age <10
    • Elizabeth Ann ALLISON (daughter) - age <10
    • Sarah ALLISON (daughter) - age <10

In 1839, Stephen was recorded as being a Mariner, so there is a likelihood that he was away from home at the time of the census. However, that doesn't mean that the rest of the family should also be missing.

They lived in the area of St George in the East, Middlesex. In 1837 they lived on Union Street, in 1839 at 31 Norfolk Street, and in 1845 at 17 Well Street, Wellclose Square.

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE: I had managed to locate them on the 1851 census.
    Last edited by ralphjay; 23-12-21, 13:33.

FMP has a list of all the missing pieces per census, but doesn't mention st george hanover square, which i know is missing in 1841 and 1861, so not sure of the accuracy of this list:

Comment

Thanks kylejustin that's quite useful to know.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ralph. My family were near yours in 1841 (in Commercial Road) and are also missing in 1841, though I know they were there because of trade directories. I was lucky enough to find the children staying with grandparents in Kent though.

Your family's area are on this map, which is not what you asked for but quite useful for finding out about their district.
        Map Of London - Cross's London Guide 1844. (mapco.net)

Comment

I've been through the streets you mentioned using Find My Past where you can search with street names, and found the streets but not your people. They are densely populated so may have been overlooked on the census, or as they move about a lot have been at an address for which the census no longer exists. Sorry not to have been more helpful, but they might be out there somewhere badly transcribed.

Comment

There could be a chance that they were separated, have you checked all relatives for the children? Do you have all the children via Mothers maiden Name/baptisms, thinking could be another that was alive in in 1841?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Might be worth going through the area page by page to see if you can spot them. Long, hard task.

Comment

Thanks all for your suggestions

Comment

Working...
                X