Week 1: My ancestor was a blacksmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
    I have therefore no idea whether Joseph's unfortunate death at the young age of 28 was by accident or through disease. I don't even know where he is buried.
    So young, what a tragedy. The smith was quite rural, I guess they had a lot of agricultural clients. The brother of one of OH's ancestors was a journeyman blacksmith and ended up in court for stealing a "spud" (a type of spade) that he was supposed to be repairing.

Comment

I wonder what week 2’s occupation will be?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        I wonder what week 2’s occupation will be?
        Jill announced the next one in the first post - Laundry worker
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

Jill announced the next one in the first post - Laundry worker
          Oops!

Comment

Charles Hurt born 1848 in Nottingham and baptised 30 Nov 1851 at Barton in Fabis, He is G Uncle to Dad.

He married Susannah Morley in 1871 and was a blacksmith and on 1901 census he was a colliery blacksmith . Died 1915 in Nuthall Notts.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

watching the farming history that is on at the moment, made me realise how a blacksmith was so much part of the industrial revolution. They were making so much to build steam engines, farming tools etc etc, more than just a few hand tools and horseshoes
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

My friends and I spent many happy hours in the village smithy when we were children. The blacksmith "Uncle Hubert" and his wife were childless and I think he quite enjoyed chatting to us and telling us what he was doing. I vividly remember the heat, the colour changes of the metal, the shower of sparks and noise when he hammered and the steam when he plunged the red hot metal into water. And the smells! Many of the famers still used heavy horses and they were brought to the blackie's shop to be shod. Don't know what Mr Elf and Safety would have said about it if he'd been around, but we learned a lot, including obedience and respect for adults and to do as we were told! The forge was the man cave of its day and there were always several old boys gathered in there for a warm and a chat.
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-08-22, 09:08.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  My friends and I spent many happy hours in the village smithy when we were children. The blacksmith "Uncle Hubert" and his wife were childless and I think he quite enjoyed chatting to us and telling us what he was doing. I vividly remember the heat, the colour changes of the metal, the shower of sparks and noise when he hammered and the steam when he plunged the red hot metal into water. And the smells! Many of the famers still used heavy horses and they were brought to the blackie's shop to be shod. Don't know what Mr Elf and Safety would have said about it if he'd been around, but we learned a lot, including obedience and respect for adults and to do as we were told! The forge was the man cave of its day and there was always several old boys gathered in there for a warm and a chat.
                  We have visited the smithy at the Weald and Downland Museum in Sussex and have watched demonstrations there, fascinating to watch, and there was a blacksmiths day a few years ago with portable forges, they were making leaves which were later used on signposts round the site.

Comment

George Bayles baptised 23 Mar 1834 at All Saints Church Nettleham in Lincs to Robert and Ann and married Martha Fawcett in 1862 was a Blacksmith in the census from 1861 to 1891. He died 11 Apr 1898. He seemed to move around to various villages in Lincoln. Was Grandson on my 5 x G G/father,
                    Lin

Comment

Samuel and German Augustus Waterfall were blacksmiths. Samuel is the son of my 4 x G Grandfather.

Samuel was the youngest son and born in 1825 Nottingham, He married Matilda Ward in Nottingham and moved to Wednesbury in Staffs. German Augustus was his eldest child and followed in his footsteps.

My 4 x G Grandfather was also called German Waterfall and one of the favourite names in my tree.

Just found a brother to Samuel that is also a blacksmith James Born in 1823 and died 1896 Nottingham
                      Last edited by Lin Fisher; 06-02-23, 14:19.
                      Lin

Comment

Jesse Jowett born 1712 in Wirksworth Derbyshire is the son of my 7 x G Grandfather Michael Jowett.

Just found his clandestine marriage at Fleet Prison to Ann Gilson of Totteridge Hertfordshire and he is a Blacksmith. Still looking for his death.
                        Lin

Comment

Lin Fisher he was a well travelled man - lucky to have such a distinctive name

Comment

Thanks Jill, didn't have time to look fat anything else for him yesterday.
                            Lin

Comment

Working...
                            X