Week 1: My ancestor was a blacksmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1: My ancestor was a blacksmith

Introducing our weekly occupations thread.

This is an opportunity to showcase your blacksmith ancestor, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you have found them on a census or other document
    Workplace/employer
    Feel free to add their spouse if you feel they contributed, as many wives will have helped in an unrecorded way. Please include your partner's ancestor too if you wish.

You might find your ancestor here on The Blacksmiths Index, or submit them if they are not already there.

(A new thread will be started every week, the next one will be Laundry worker on 1st Jan)

My 2x great grandfather Henry Burnip (1844-1880) was born in Hull where his father Joseph Pilsworth Burnip had a grocer’s shop, however they were back in Epworth, Lincolnshire by 1851where his father had a drapers shop.

1861: It was in Epworth where young Henry was apprenticed to blacksmith and auctioneer John Hatfield. Henry married Mary Sissons at the Wesleyan chapel in 1870, in 1871 they were living in Millers Lane, Epworth and he was a journeyman blacksmith, their daughter Rachel was born that summer, and by 1876 they had moved to Lincoln where their son George was born.

Tragedy struck on Boxing Day 1880 when Henry died aged only 36 of otitis and abscess of the brain at their home at 19 Dale Street, Lincoln. Mary and their two children Rachel and George returned to her parents in Epworth, where she worked as a domestic servant. She eventually remarried to farmer Edward Scupholme, but not until she was 52.

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 22-12-21, 06:48.

Comment

I also have blacksmiths in my direct line and I had written about them in 2020 for the 52 Ancestors in 52 weeks challenge: From Fire to Form.

I was very lucky as somebody had transcribed the will of Charles Elkins gunsmith and put the transcription on the Surrey Plus Wills Index which took me into finding the line, first in Westbourne and thence to Farnham in Surrey.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

My 4x great grandfather Thomas Harwood (1742-1816) was the son of Edward Harwood of Pulborough. Thomas was the blacksmith in the small parish of Sutton at the foot of the Sussex downs. He was already established as a blacksmith there when he married at the relatively mature age of 36 to Mary Grant at near by Thakeham in 1778 as he is described a blacksmith of Sutton on the marriage licence.

Thomas and Mary had 10 children at Sutton, in his will he left all “my Stock in Trade and Working Tools and Implements belonging to my Business as a Blacksmith” to his wife so she could carry on the business for the benefit of the two youngest sons James and Edmund until they were able to support themselves and requested for them to be apprenticed to a trade but left a legacy should Mary die before they became 21. Other children also received a legacy including Henry who was still running the blacksmith’s in the 1850s. You can see a valuation of his Thomas’s estate and the original will here.

One of Thomas’s executors was his friend George Tupper of the neighbouring village of Bignor, owner of the farm where the famous Roman villa is located. The house in Sutton where the Harwoods lived still stands, later it was divided and lived in by his sons Henry the blacksmith and Edmund the youngest son who was a Cordwainer and the registrar of births and deaths. Thomas was buried on 27 Jul 1816 and his widow Mary on 21 Jan 1830 though there are no gravestones. There’s a nice bit of ironwork on the church door latch and the font though, who knows, maybe Thomas made it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
          My 4x great grandfather Thomas Harwood (1742-1816) was the son of Edward Harwood of Pulborough. Thomas was the blacksmith in the small parish of Sutton at the foot of the Sussex downs. He was already established as a blacksmith there when he married at the relatively mature age of 36 to Mary Grant at near by Thakeham in 1778 as he is described a blacksmith of Sutton on the marriage licence.

Thomas and Mary had 10 children at Sutton, in his will he left all “my Stock in Trade and Working Tools and Implements belonging to my Business as a Blacksmith” to his wife so she could carry on the business for the benefit of the two youngest sons James and Edmund until they were able to support themselves and requested for them to be apprenticed to a trade but left a legacy should Mary die before they became 21. Other children also received a legacy including Henry who was still running the blacksmith’s in the 1850s. You can see a valuation of his Thomas’s estate and the original will here.

One of Thomas’s executors was his friend George Tupper of the neighbouring village of Bignor, owner of the farm where the famous Roman villa is located. The house in Sutton where the Harwoods lived still stands, later it was divided and lived in by his sons Henry the blacksmith and Edmund the youngest son who was a Cordwainer and the registrar of births and deaths. Thomas was buried on 27 Jul 1816 and his widow Mary on 21 Jan 1830 though there are no gravestones. There’s a nice bit of ironwork on the church door latch and the font though, who knows, maybe Thomas made it?
          So our blacksmiths were nearish neighbours then!
          For anyone who doesn't know the area, you can see Pulborough on the map in my article - Bignor and Sutton would be roughly leftish from Houghton.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

For anyone who doesn't know the area, you can see Pulborough on the map in my article - Bignor and Sutton would be roughly leftish from Houghton.
            I have other ancestors from Fernhurst and Bramshott too.

Comment

My great grandfather Simon McIntosh was born in 1821 in Invernesshire to Angus and Amelia /Emilia Chisholm. In 1841 he is with his widowed mother and siblings in Inverness as an Apprentice Carpenter. By 1851 still living with mother and siblings in Inverness he is recorded as a Journeyman Blacksmith.

In 1853 Simon marries Elizabeth Fraser with whom he has 11 children. They marry in Partick, G!asgow.

Simon and Elizabeth with their children can be seen in the 1861 census in Middlesborough and 1871 in South Shields, Co Durham. Simon is recorded as a Blacksmith.

I have not so far found out where Simon was employed but it is likely he moved South to the Shipyards in the North East.

Simon died in 1880 in Jarrow, Co Durham. Elizabeth died in 1912 back in Middlesborough

Vera

Comment

Bother, I wrote a long reply then accidentally touched the pad on my laptop and deleted it. Auto save kicked in before I realised.

My blacksmiths also come from Farnham, I wonder if they knew each other or were rivals?

This is my list from Family Historian... As you will see, most of them have the family name SMITH and they all seem to be closely related

I am descended from Frederick Richardson Smith bc 1801 in Witley, Surrey. He was recorded as a blacksmith from 1834 to 1841 when he died aged 46 (Note to self, must get that death certificate and find out what happened)

His older sons Charles, Sidney and John Manwaring continued as blacksmiths in Farnham after that. Later Sidney became a farrier (1851 census) and John Manwaring moved to Plumstead and worked at Woolwich Arsenal. There’s lots more to research in this family.

I am descended from the only daughter Louisa Emily SMITH who married into the CAESAR family and moved up to London where her husband was a coach painter. I have written up some of the story here

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I also have blacksmiths in my direct line and I had written about them in 2020 for the 52 Ancestors in 52 weeks challenge: From Fire to Form.
                  That's a very interesting read, Caroline. I've saved it to my ever increasing stash of useful webpages in Evernote .
                  Last edited by Gardengirl; 22-12-21, 12:43.
                  Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

What a really interesting thread, I am looking forward to these regular updates. I have a few Blacksmiths dotted around my tree and I have chosen a Father and Son duo James Davis my 4 x Great Grandfather and his son Robert Davis, my 4 x Great Uncle.

James was born around 1781 in Madley in Herefordshire and is recorded in the 1851 census in Peterchurch as a retired Blacksmith at which point one assumes that his son James Davis took up the reigns.

His son James Davis was born in 1820 in Peterchurch in Herefordshire, the son of James Davis and Mary Davis (nee Howard). The 1851 census records James as living at 5, Broad Street, Peterchurch and his occupation is a Blacksmith.

Although I don't have a picture of James or Robert, I do have a picture of Robert's older sister Mary Davis which can be seen below.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

I don't remember coming across any blacksmiths in my English lines. Just farmer and ag labs. BUT my youngest nephew has decided that blacksmithing is the coolest thing going and has decided to go back to college to learn all about it.
                      Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I have a few blacksmiths in the tree - here is one of my direct line:

Henry Lugg born in Gunwalloe, Cornwall in 1826 (my 2nd gr grandfather) and died in 1916. His father appears to be a bit of this and a bit of that, and not having a trade.

However Thomas’ brother Edward was a blacksmith and went to Ballarat in Australia (Gold rush) with his trade, along with his brother Samuel who was a carpenter.

Henry had several children and most of the boys were trained in blacksmithing, which included my Grandfather Edward. He and his brother William moved to London mid 1870s and went on to be coachbuilders/wheelwrights, Edward was a blacksmiths and William is a wheelwright (1881 census in Hanley Road, Holloway).

Henry Lugg remained in Gunwalloe.

Here is more about Edward
                        http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co...17-blacksmith/

this was the blacksmiths in Gunwalloe

blacksmiths.JPG
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-12-21, 18:01.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

My husband's great-grandfather was a blacksmith, and I put him in the Index years ago.

Thomas Hughes, blacksmith, was born in 1853, Corwen, Merionethshire, Wales and died in the June quarter 1888, aged 36. He was the Blacksmith at Llawr Y Bettws Smithy, Llanfor, Merionethshire. He was kicked in the head by a horse, and died of his injuries. He left his wife, Margaret Elizabeth nee Wynn(e) with 6 young children born between 1874 and 1885. His parents were Thomas Hughes (a labourer) born circa 1829, Bettws, Merionethshire & Margaret Roberts.

Margaret and the children moved in with her father-in-law and became his housekeeper. Later she moved to Manchester with 2 of the younger children.

I have a copy of a lantern slide , date unknown, showing Thomas Hughes shoeing a horse in a lane outside what looks like quite a large house, but it is dark and not very clear.

My husband's grandmother was the second child, and married a Welsh Wesleyan Minister in Manchester in 1906.

As an aside ........ if anyone has read the book Almonds and Raisins, by Maisie Moscoe, there is mention of a Welsh widow sweeping her steps in Manchester. That is Margaret Elizabeth Hughes.

My own grandfather was a blacksmith's assistant in Oldham, Lancashire, but I have no idea what he actually did

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia C how wonderful to have a lantern slide. I was sent a very black photocopy of a photo of my Henry Burnip years ago, but it is so indistinct that it is more of a silhouette.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                              As an aside ........ if anyone has read the book Almonds and Raisins, by Maisie Moscoe, there is mention of a Welsh widow sweeping her steps in Manchester. That is Margaret Elizabeth Hughes
                              Now there’s a blast from the past! Maisie Moscoe was very popular with my readers back in the day. Haven’t heard her name mentioned for many a long year.

Comment

My Great grandfather, Henry SHEATH was born in Beaulieu c. 1812 and was a blacksmith.
                                Unfortunately, he married too early in the year 1837 for his father to be recorded in civil registration, but a good possible for his parents would be Thomas SHEATH and his wife Jane, who were raising their family in Beaulieu at the right time.
                                Thomas was a blacksmith and had several children baptised in Beaulieu, including one in 1810 and another in 1816... so a convenient gap for my Henry between them, but although I've spent hours at Winchester Record Office going through fiche for Beaulieu and the surrounding parishes, there is no sign of a baptism to show parentage for Henry.
                                Thomas was sometimes shown on those PRs to be 'of Bucklers Hard' and I went and searched there too, where an historian told me that he was probably involved with making nails and tools for the local boat building on the river.
                                I've followed Henry's 'siblings' in case one was actually Henry under a different name, but they all have their own identity and known parentage.
                                Some of them were blacksmiths too.
                                George SHEATH, Henry's possible younger brother moved to Whippingham on the Isle of Wight and was a blacksmith there.
                                Thomas and Jane lived near to him.
                                Henry, my ancestor moved in the other direction and was involved with smith work in the Southampton docks.
                                His son William also followed his trade, but sadly died young of typhoid at only 33 years old.

If anyone can offer any suggestions for finding records for Henry's parents, that would be great, please.

Comment

I have more than my fair share of them in my family on both sides - directly and indirectly.

My Gt Grandfather James MURRAY born 16 January 1858 St John’s Hill, Ellesmere, Shropshire, married Sarah Ann LATEWOOD 1862-1938 on 28 December 1881 at St Mary, Ellesmere, Shropshire and died 22 November 1920 at 4 Belton Road, Whitchurch, Shropshire
                                  Occupation
                                  1881-1891 Blacksmith. Sources - Marriage certificate, 1881 census, 1891 census, birth certificates for children Joseph and Annie
                                  1887 Fitter. Source - Birth certificate for child Mary Jane
                                  1891-1899 Blacksmith (journeyman). Sources - Birth certificates for children Henrietta, Frederick (my Grandad) and George.
                                  1901 Engine fitter. Source - 1901 census
                                  1904-1911 Mechanical engineer’s smith and fitter. Sources - Birth certificate for child Dorothy, 1911 census
                                  1917 Engineer. Sources - Marriage certificates for children Henrietta and Frederick
                                  1920 Blacksmith (journeyman). Source - Death certificate

Group of workers. James Murray sat front right. compressed.jpg
                                  Gt. Grandfather James Murray on right of front row
                                  I'd love to know where this was taken. Presumably Ellesmere, Shropshire somewhere or perhaps Whitchurch? I uploaded it years ago to Shropshire FHS member's area hoping somebody recognised the firm or building but no joy.

James Murray 1858-1920 taken in Grimsby by J.S.Bullen. Compressed.jpg

Gt. Grandfather James Murray in later years taken by J.S. Bullen in Grimsby (his daughter Annie married and went to live there)

James and Sarah Ann owned property in Belton Road, Whitchurch, Shropshire, nos, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12, they were living in Belton Road in 1901 census. They didn’t just own these properties, James had actually built them. The properties were sold in 1939, following Sarah Ann's death in 1938.
                                  James also was an artesian well engineer. I have a copy of a rather hazy photograph of him at work on a well but can't find it on the pc at the moment. According to family lore, Sarah Ann was a witch of woman who you would not want to cross and certainly not be late with your rent to. She was known to go rent collecting by herself even in her old age. From asking around my DNA matches of descendants of my Grandfather’s siblings, she is the source of the infamous MURRAY bad temper inherited by my grandfather and some of his siblings as well as couple of my father’s own siblings.

George MURRAY (youngest sibling of my Gt. Grandfather James) born 6 August 1873 at Watergate Street, Ellesmere, Shropshire allegedly married to Jane Ellen GARDNER 1869-1908 but cannot be found after 1901 census.
                                  Occupation
                                  1901 Blacksmith. Source - 1901 census
                                  18 January 1901 Colliery blacksmith. Source - Birth certificate for child Redvers Cyril Thomas MURRAY born 9 December 1900
                                  Residence
                                  18 January 1901 Lightmoor, Gloucestershire
                                  1901 Woorgreens, East Dean, Gloucestershire

1901 census shows George and Jane Ellen to have two children. Redvers and an older boy named Albert W MURRAY born c.1898 Chalford, Gloucestershire. There is no trace of this child’s birth either as MURRAY, GARDNER (and variants) or PEGLER.
                                  Jane Ellen GARDNER had married George Henry PEGLER on 26 May 1890 at Christchurch, Chalford, Gloucestershire. George was a rotter, in and out of jail all over the country as himself or a number of aliases more times than you and I have had hot dinners! He didn’t die till 1934 having married again in Stroud, Gloucestershire in 1915 to the widowed Eda Mary HAWKER nee REEVES.
                                  Jane Ellen’s death is known in 1908 but after the 1901 census, there is no trace of George MURRAY or either of the two boys, together or separately.
                                  Before his death in 2019, I was in contact by letter with Martin Roger Allan MURRAY, son of John Noel MURRAY 1898-1985 born in Overton, Flintshire, son of John MURRAY 1871-1912, the illegitimate son of Ellen STOCKTON aka Ellen MURRAY who was my Gt. Grandfather James’ sister. No great surprise but after giving birth to John in 1871 in her parents’ home, Ellen is yet another of the family who does a bunk!
                                  Martin told me that as a child, his father often met with my Gt.Grandfather James’ father – another James who died 1905 in Overton. Martin’s father believed my missing George MURRAY 1873 had returned to his home area and was the man in charge of the water supply in Overton. I have never been able to prove this nor find a possible death of George in Shropshire or Flintshire nor any further sign of the two boys. I have often wondered if John Noel got the wrong man and he had actually met my Gt. Grandfather James?

On my Gran’s HARRISON line, my 4x Gt. Grandfather John HARRISON married Mary (Mary Ann?) DUNN in Howden, Yorkshire. Mary’s father George DUNN was a blacksmith according to the 1841 and 51 censuses. John and Mary’s first child, George Dunn HARRISON lived with his grandparents and an uncle and aunt both unmarried. His parents moved south to Tunstall, Staffordshire where John HARRISON is supposed to have belonged (1841 census) and the rest of their children were born in and around Tunstall . George’s uncle was a hairdresser and George followed him into that trade as did some of his own Staffordshire born nephews. I have no idea why George was left in Yorkshire.

Others out of my direct line
                                  Daddy’s side
                                  Ernest MADDRA 1888-1961 - my late cousin Susan’s husband’s grandfather

Thomas EDWARDS 1880-?? - married to Mary Emma WINDSOR, sister to William WINDSOR who was the father of Annie (aka Nancy) WINDSOR who married my Uncle Donald. Annie and Donald were the parents of the above mentioned cousin Susan 1948-2019
                                  Joseph PARSONS n.d. - husband of Tabitha HALL1794-??, a sister of Enoch HALL - a relation of my Gran – far to complicated to precis
                                  George Whieldon READE 1865-?? - husband of Mary Jane LEAR 1858-?? a daughter of Elisha LEAR whose brother Elijah LEAR 1832-1894 was the 1st husband of my 2xGt Aunt Sarah Ann EARDLEY 1849-1906
                                  William Hickman READE n.d. - father of the above George
                                  Ralph MARDSEN 1814-?? - father of Lucy NIGHTINGALE 1844-1897 the mother of Mary Ellen PASSE 1867 - ??, the mother of Harold JOLLY 1900-1968, Grandfather to some of my cousins
                                  Edwin DOWNWARD 1856-1930 - husband of Sarah Ann MURRAY 1856-1934, a sister of my 2xGt Grandfather James MURRAY. Edwin was a blacksmith on marriage but was later a police officer and ended up a cabinet maker, upholsterer and furniture dealer

Mum’s side
                                  James LAURIE n.d. side shoot on her maternal side
                                  Thomas PARKER n.d. - husband of Janet BROOM, daughter of my 2xGt Aunt Agnes HIDDLESTON and her husband David BROOM
                                  John DALZIEL 1825-?? - father of Alison DALZIEL the 2nd wife of Stewart BROWN. Stewart’s first wife was Janet HIDDLESTON 1838-1867 a sister of my 2xGt Grampa James HIDDLESTON
                                  William WALLACE c.1884-1946 - my married in late Aunty Mary’s father. Had varied occupations, last of which was innkeeper.

R. B. S. - father of the wife of my cousin’s son
                                  Thomas McCALL c.1849-c.1915 - had 2 sons Adam 1885-?? and Thomas 1887-?? after which things get somewhat complicated as you can see...

Thomas married Margaret McPHEE and had a daughter Margaret McKie McCALL 1917-1999. Margaret had an illegitmate daughter who was adopted by Samuel HIDDLESTON 1891-1980 and his wife Jessie McGauchie HADDOW 1892-1963.
                                  Samuel and Jessie also adopted Louisa McGauchie HADDOW 1920-2011 illegitimate daughter of Jessie’s younger sister Agnes.
                                  Samuel’s wife Jessie was a daughter of Archibald HADDOW 1865-1906 and Louisa Brown McGAUCHIE 1867-1925, the illegitimate daughter of Jessie McGAUCHIE n.d.
                                  Archibald HADDOW died in a pit accident below ground and his widow Louisa married again to none other than Adam McCALL 1885-?? brother to Thomas 1887-?? and son of Thomas the blacksmith.
                                  That was one heck of a mess to sort out in the records and no mistake! Samuel HIDDLESTON 1891-1980 aka Sam the Post (my Mum’s 2nd cousin once removed) was also a cobbler to trade in his early years and all my Mum’s family had their shoes mended by him.
                                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 29-12-21, 21:40.

Comment

GallowayLass great photo, unusual to have someone in their work clothes, it give a real sense of a hardworking man.

Comment

I have a few blacksmiths on various branches of my tree but only one that is a direct descendant - and my only Scottish branch.

Born 19th December 1810, my 3rd Great Grandfather Joseph Archibald was born to parents James Archibald and Isobel McCarter and baptised at home on 30th December at Greenlaw Farm, Farnell, Angus in Scotland .

Joseph would presumably have been an apprentice to a blacksmith but I have not been able to find any documents to prove that. When he married my 3rd Great Grandmother, Jean Wilson, on 1 September 1832 at Brechin, Angus he was aged 21 - his marriage entry reads:

"18th Aug. Joseph Archibald, Blacksmith, Maisondieu, and Jean Wilson in Nether Tenements were contracted in order to marriage and then banns having been regularly published and no objections offered were married 1st Sept."

Map showing the Smithy [2 x red dots] at Maisondieu - north west of Brechin.

OS Six Inch 1843-1882 Nat Library Scotland.jpg
                                      OS Six Inch 1843-1882 National Library of Scotland.

By 1838 Jean was widowed with two children born 1833 and 1834. Unfortunately Scottish burial records are few and far between before 1855; I have therefore no idea whether Joseph's unfortunate death at the young age of 28 was by accident or through disease. I don't even know where he is buried.
                                      Jean married again in 1838. Her 1883 death certificate details both her husbands and their occupations. [I wish all death certificates gave such great detail!]

Death cert .jpg

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Now there’s a blast from the past! Maisie Moscoe was very popular with my readers back in the day. Haven’t heard her name mentioned for many a long year.
                                        I think I've read many of her books.

Interestingly, I had read Almonds and Raisins before we knew who the Welsh widow was, so I had to read it again, and OH had to read it

In one of her other books, also about a Jewish family, I found out that there had been a small Jewish community in my home town of Oldham. I had never ever heard it mentioned before. There was no synagogue, so her book described how they had to travel to Manchester if they wanted to attend a service.
                                        Last edited by Sylvia C; 30-12-21, 00:18.
                                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                                        X