irish place name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irish place name?

my ancestor was mary mcauliffe b.1832 in donaghmore, cork- according to the indexes in cloyne diocese, so will be spelled donoughmore. so just north west of cork city, not on the coast.

in 1920, someone was looking for their ancestor james mcauliffe in the cork 1841 census, for the pension i think. anyway, they didn't include any further information so the clerks found all the james mcauliffe's in the area of lackendarra/kilshannig in cork. luckily for me, my family was one of the ones included. i can't find the place they were living, looks like "glashabwer" west? here is the link:

the page with my family is the second image, headed by james and honora mcauliffe. if anyone can workout where it is, that would be great.

Seems the townland was Glashaboy West according to Griffith’s Valuation

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...Mzk5OTM5MTUuMA..

Comment

Google Maps

58436958-0A43-4AD1-A891-D3932E4E05A3.jpeg

Comment

oooh thank you! i would never have figured that out!

Comment

Blame OH!! I knew absolutely zilch about searching in Ireland till we met. His father’s maternal grandmother’ family was from County Armagh in the north but back in the dates I was looking for it was pre-partition so the same datasets apply to the whole island. Still don’t know a great deal though, it’s a lot of trial and error

Comment

Griffiths Valuation for Glashaboy West was compiled in 1852. James McAuliffe had plot 13 which was a 14 acre farm. No McAuliffe households there by 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...lashaboy_West/

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
            X