William Walter Uren, BC and New York, 1872 - 1943

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Walter Uren, BC and New York, 1872 - 1943

This is my most recent brickwall, and I am looking for advice on a missing wife.

William Walter Uren was born in 1872, Savona, BC Canada. By 1898 he is in New York, USA. I have the marriage certificates for his two known wives.

Marriage Certificate 14948, New York City
    William W Uren to Katie A. Hungerschaffer, 30 November 1899
    His parents are correct, as is his birth place. However he is down as widowed, and it is a second marriage.
    He and Katie are in the 1900 census, Manhattan, New York.
    They had three children, but only two survived - Robert Byron and Viola Maud.

Marriage Certificate 1198, State of New York
    William W. Uren to Clara Schneider, 30 October 1904
    His father is correct, as is his birthplace. However once again he is widowed and it is his second marriage!
    William, Clara and his two children from Katie are all on the 1910 Brooklyn, New York Census.

How can I find about what happened to Catherine Alicia Uren, aka Katie Uren nee Hungerschaffer ? I have ancestry world, but haven't been able to find a death for her. Are the death records incomplete? Could they have divorced ? Where else can I look?

Everyone mentioned here is dead. Any ideas or pointers gratefully received.

bcbrit

George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

No joy this pass -
    * FamilySearch in the past has had more detailed transcriptions of NY CivReg than Ancestry. Ancestry seems to have caught up - I think? But FS's "improved" search facility is, well, not.

* My experience with NY's recording of BMD is pretty positive, especially after 1900, especially for marriages and deaths. Births ... well, usually, but better among non-immigrant populations.

* We don't know where she died - had she gone to Albany and died there? BMD in those days was likely tied to county records, not to the state.

* Lots of opportunity for mistranscription with these names.

* Newspapers often provided clues, tho NY times were typically only death notices. I looked briefly at Ancestry, but I don't know if they've changed their catalog and moved the info to another ppv website.

* There is a 1905 NY census, it would be interesting to try to find him in that census.

* Did you notice in the 1900 that she stated she had had 3 children, 2 living? Doubt that helps. Also, as near as I can tell, FS botched the family's transcription in the 1900. Unfortunately, I don't think they've developed a notification method for corrections.

* Divorce - yes, it happened, even among the less wealthy. I don't think there's an online index, but I don't know for certain.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-12-21, 02:32.

Comment

hiya

Have you looked at www.findagrave.com to see if she is there?

I agree with you PhotoFamily FS interface now is dire and IMHO a step backwards... don't like it at all.
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 20-12-21, 11:38.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I can only see this:

Name: Katherine S. Hungerschoefer
        Death Date: 11 Apr 1918
        Death Place: Albany, New York, USA
        Certificate Number: 20685

the entry is typed onto the paper so if it was transcribed from a register they may have misread the entry?

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...NDAwMDEwNzIuMA..

not much else is forthcoming I'm afraid.
        Julie

Comment

Do you think she might have been buried with her child?
          Julie

Comment

FS has some sort of index to NYC divorces. Sign in and you can look at the images. Names beginning with 'U' start on page 201

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...200&cat=235832

No joy there that I could see, but I don't take offense if someone double checks my homework.

Also -
            They could have divorced elsewhere, and divorce records are usually held in the county of the divorce. So, you'd have to know where to look

I'm not sure if the records I found are the best/only place to look
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-12-21, 17:33.

Comment

BCB, you've probably found a lot of the things on Ancestry, but here's William's page on FAG, which connects to one son and Clara's page as well
              https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...am-walter-uren

Captain? haven't seen a clue for that
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-12-21, 18:45.

Comment

William's obit
                William W. Uren
                Male
                56 East Sunrise Highway, Merrick
                25 Jun 1943
                Brooklyn, New York, USA
                The Brooklyn Daily Eagle
                Clara Uren
                Viola Sturm Robert Uren
                https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui.../3687388:61843

So, it used to be that the Brooklyn Daily Eagle was free to view thru the NY library, but I think they sold it off to Newspapers.com. Anyone have a sub? Still, the transcription doesn't mention Kittie, so I'm suspicious that it may skip that part of his life.

Also, look up for Viola's obit
                Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-12-21, 18:26.

Comment

There is this death for a Catherine Uren in New Jersey in 1903, which fits in with the time scale, but I can't find out anything more about her

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...NDAwMjQ2NjguMA..
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    I can only see this:

Name: Katherine S. Hungerschoefer
                    Death Date: 11 Apr 1918
                    Death Place: Albany, New York, USA
                    Certificate Number: 20685

the entry is typed onto the paper so if it was transcribed from a register they may have misread the entry?

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...NDAwMDEwNzIuMA..

not much else is forthcoming I'm afraid.
                    without buying the cert, I doubt we'll know for certain, but this seems like a likely match for this Katherine

Katherine Hungersdraffer

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                      There is this death for a Catherine Uren in New Jersey in 1903, which fits in with the time scale, but I can't find out anything more about her

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...NDAwMjQ2NjguMA..
                      I like it. NJ has held its records tight to its chest. FS Wiki refers to the state's websites for vital records. This is what I'm coming up with to order/buy a record
                      https://wwwnet-dos.state.nj.us/DOS_A...tal/index.aspx

The image on ancestry indicates that the cert number is 22137
                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-12-21, 18:52.

Comment

It's possible that she had an obit in The Eagle. If someone does a look up, it would be useful to look for a 1903 obit as well.

Comment

Thank you PhotoFamily, Darkseretz, and ozgirl for doing a search for my missing Katie, Kitty, Catherine Uren. I am going to send off for the certificate for the 1903 death, and see if it is my missing Katie. I found her father's death, but she is not noted as one of his children. How sad.

Apparently William W Uren used to go to Florida in the summer months when he got older. He had a boat and would take passengers out for the day. So I am not sure if he was a captain, or just a nickname.

I have decided that after Christmas I will splurge on a short sub for newspapers.com. Then start saving for another splurge to get his daughter's Harriett's birth and death certificate (1897 -1900).

Oh, to win the lottery!

Thank you all again,

bcbrit
                          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Just a follow up here on the missing wives of William Walter Uren.

I am sending a death record search request for Catherine Uren, died 1903, New Jersey, death certificate 22137, to the New Jersey State Archives via post. This is because the death is after the cutoff date of 1900.

I have also sent away for the deaths of his two children, and a possible wife #1 to New York Municipal Archives via an online request form. I should be getting the deaths certificates within 8 - 12 weeks.

I haven't found birth certificates for the children who died, so I am hoping that their births dates will be on their certificates.

Just about to start searching newspapers.com for a more thorough search for the missing wives.

Will let you know what happens when the certs get here.

Thank you for your help,

bcbrit

Comment

An update on my missing Urens -

I sent away for three death certs from the New York Municipal Deaths, that were to be arrive in 8 - 12 weeks after my order was placed. Well, they arrived today - in six weeks !

I received the death certificate for Lilian Uren nee Shields. She died on 11 May 1893 from TB and exhaustion . She was 24 years old.

Her son James Byron Uren died 8 April 1893 age 8 months from Asste???a , terrible writing and faded. They were both buried in St Peter's on Staten Island - a Catholic church.

Unfortunately my third death for Harriet Uren wasn't found. This was due to to an incorrect certificate number on the family search site. The cert number was for a 73 year old man. They sent me the certificate to me, to show that the number belonged to an Alexander Ralston.

So back to the drawing board!

Tomorrow I will get a certified cheque from the bank, and send a search request for Catherine Uren to the New Jersey State Archives.

I will let you know if the Catherine Uren is mine or not.

bcbrit

Comment

Fingers crossed Ruth that you get a positive response!..
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post

Unfortunately my third death for Harriet Uren wasn't found. This was due to to an incorrect certificate number on the family search site. The cert number was for a 73 year old man. They sent me the certificate to me, to show that the number belonged to an Alexander Ralston.

bcbrit
                                  so, this number cn 8919 from this transcription:
                                  Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I'm hoping to visit the library next week and I can check it out.

Comment

Hi Photo Family,

Yes, that is the certificate number. But the New York City Municipal Archives sent me a note explaining that it was not Harriet's certificate number, but that the number 8919 was for Alexander Ralston.
                                    Alexander died 19 March 1897 at home 242 W31 Street, NY. They sent the record for Alexander's death, and it is a very clear 8919.

My Harriet Uren was born 1895/7 and died 19 March 1900. Parents are William Uren and Catherin Uren. Deathplace Manhattan, New York.

On all three records the certificate number is stamped on. So I imagine that Harriet is floating around somewhere in the death records.

If you have time,(and only if it) would be great if you could check it out.

Thank you very much,

bcbrit

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                                      Hi Photo Family,

Yes, that is the certificate number. But the New York City Municipal Archives sent me a note explaining that it was not Harriet's certificate number, but that the number 8919 was for Alexander Ralston.
                                      Alexander died 19 March 1897 at home 242 W31 Street, NY. They sent the record for Alexander's death, and it is a very clear 8919.

My Harriet Uren was born 1895/7 and died 19 March 1900. Parents are William Uren and Catherin Uren. Deathplace Manhattan, New York.
                                      They had to index it from something...

Comment

A HUGE thank you to PhotoFamily.

PF found my missing Harriet Uren. Her death record was stapled on the back of the transcription. She died from Scarlet Fever and Cardiac failure, aged 5 years.

Now to wait for the possible death certificate of her mother Catherine Uren in 1903.

Thank you again,

bcbrit

Comment

Working...
                                        X