Do You Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Remember

Over the last month or so I have been publishing a few things that I remember from growing up as a kid in the 60’s. So I hope you enjoy my little piece of nostalgia and my trip down memory lane…….

For those of you that might have missed these posts, or not seen them all, in the run up towards Christmas, I have been posting online, pictures from my childhood, things that I fondly remember gro…

My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

That was a lovely trip down memory lane Paul. Thanks. I was an adult early 60's so remember them all.

Vera

Comment

electric fire - MiL still had hers when we sold the house 3 years ago
      twin tub - MiL had hers until about 15 years ago, it broke to she had to have an automatic, she only used it for the sheets - think she handwashed the rest!
      date stamp - was still in action about 5 years ago, when I was at work as they were still trying to prove when they received invoices! Use to drive us all nuts when we were sitting near the payments team (hot desking by then, and not easy to avoid!)
      Radiogram - yep you have guessed it MiL had one until about 10 years ago

MiL - didn't have a chopper though!

Yep used to tape the top 20, mine was upright though, more like a radio.

My viewmaster is in the loft it has been down twice in recent years to go to the charity shop, and then back in the loft - I really don't know why!

Etch a sketch - I loved mine

I wanted a Ford Anglia as my first car or Hilman imp - could find one that wasn't full of rust!

loved Enid Blyton
      Yep lava lamp and a soda stream and a chair that swivelled were in our lounge.

Was a Magpie fan not BP!
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Lots of my memories there! Thanks, Paul.
        Jenny

Comment

That was lovely, Paul, great memories. Thank you.

Are the images in anyway copyrighted? I’d like to use some if it’s OK.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I enjoyed reading this- thank you. I loved the Viewmaster, Etch a sketch and the chocolate machine especially as I had all of them. A few things were after my time, though, so perhaps you're a little bit younger than me!
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Hi Paul,

I remember walking up to the train station with my mother to put in an order for coal for the winter. I also remember the never forgotten day when my parents allowed us to put on our oldest clothes, slip through the coal hole by the front door, and slide down the the coal to end up in the cellar! Us four kids still talk about it every time we get together.

We didn't get central heating until the mid seventies. I suffered from chilblains on my fingers and toes from sitting close to the fire - they were so painful! Going to bed with two hot water bottles - one for my feet and one for my chest.

Trying to listen to Radio Caroline on my red transistor radio under the bed covers. Sitting on the double tub to try to stop it walking over the scullery floors.

Thanks for the memories,

bcbrit
              George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                That was a lovely trip down memory lane Paul. Thanks. I was an adult early 60's so remember them all.

Vera
                I am glad you enjoyed my little piece of nostalgia Vera

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  electric fire - MiL still had hers when we sold the house 3 years ago
                  twin tub - MiL had hers until about 15 years ago, it broke to she had to have an automatic, she only used it for the sheets - think she handwashed the rest!
                  date stamp - was still in action about 5 years ago, when I was at work as they were still trying to prove when they received invoices! Use to drive us all nuts when we were sitting near the payments team (hot desking by then, and not easy to avoid!)
                  Radiogram - yep you have guessed it MiL had one until about 10 years ago

MiL - didn't have a chopper though!

Yep used to tape the top 20, mine was upright though, more like a radio.

My viewmaster is in the loft it has been down twice in recent years to go to the charity shop, and then back in the loft - I really don't know why!

Etch a sketch - I loved mine

I wanted a Ford Anglia as my first car or Hilman imp - could find one that wasn't full of rust!

loved Enid Blyton
                  Yep lava lamp and a soda stream and a chair that swivelled were in our lounge.

Was a Magpie fan not BP!
                  I have been amazed at how many people have told me that they are still using similar appliances today! But as the saying goes, "they don't make things like they used to"

Magpie! I'm shocked!
                  Last edited by Paulc; 21-12-21, 07:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                    That was lovely, Paul, great memories. Thank you.

Are the images in anyway copyrighted? I’d like to use some if it’s OK.
                    Feel free to use any of the images, as far as I can tell the images are not copyrighted

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                      Hi Paul,

I remember walking up to the train station with my mother to put in an order for coal for the winter. I also remember the never forgotten day when my parents allowed us to put on our oldest clothes, slip through the coal hole by the front door, and slide down the the coal to end up in the cellar! Us four kids still talk about it every time we get together.

We didn't get central heating until the mid seventies. I suffered from chilblains on my fingers and toes from sitting close to the fire - they were so painful! Going to bed with two hot water bottles - one for my feet and one for my chest.

Trying to listen to Radio Caroline on my red transistor radio under the bed covers. Sitting on the double tub to try to stop it walking over the scullery floors.

Thanks for the memories,

bcbrit
                      Thanks for sharing these memories, I actually never had central heating until I moved out when I was 21!

When nan's house was modernised by the council in the mid 70's the coal bunker was eventually moved to the garden and the toilet finally brought indoors!

My kids still think I am joking when I tell them these stories!

Comment

and here's yours truly taking a bath..............
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                          and here's yours truly taking a bath..............
                          I don't remember tin baths but I love the square format of old photos.

Comment

central heating came to us in the 70s too, the paraffin heaters went and coal 'boiler', but gas fire was kept.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Paul, what a lovely trip down memory lane.

Remember so many of the things.
                              I had a twin tub when first got married and no central heating.
                              Mum and Dad had a copper and mangle and the 'Kitchenette', it was all in out little scullery with a gas cooker.
                              Feel proud to admit that my first car was a Ford Anglia, very old but paid £100 for it and lasted me for ages.

so many other things as well. Thanks
                              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                                Paul, what a lovely trip down memory lane.

Remember so many of the things.
                                I had a twin tub when first got married and no central heating.
                                Mum and Dad had a copper and mangle and the 'Kitchenette', it was all in out little scullery with a gas cooker.
                                Feel proud to admit that my first car was a Ford Anglia, very old but paid £100 for it and lasted me for ages.

so many other things as well. Thanks
                                I am so pleased that everyone has enjoyed a little piece of nostalgia. I am sure there are lots of other things and maybe I will post some more in the New Year. Was it me, or did life seem so much simpler back then?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post

I am so pleased that everyone has enjoyed a little piece of nostalgia. I am sure there are lots of other things and maybe I will post some more in the New Year. Was it me, or did life seem so much simpler back then?
                                  definitely simpler, we had less things to buy, so didn't have to spend so much money, and just bought important things in life.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Life was loads simpler then. If you made arrangement to see someone, you turned up on time as there was no way of letting them know you couldn't make it. We all managed to do it.

That's true about money. Carolyn. If you had no money you didn't buy anything.
                                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

The demands and expectations were far less on both parents and children, it's no wonder that mental health issues are so prominent these days.

Comment

.... and some more memories.

A seasonal saunter down memory lane showcases some of the most wanted toys from the last 100 years.
                                        Caroline
                                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                        X