The Bayles family in Wilby Suffolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bayles family in Wilby Suffolk

Just tried to upload a photo that I took years ago but it won't let me.

It's a plaque in the Church at Wilby. A quick translations is John Bayles Gent died 21 Dec 1588 also Thomas his son who died in his 84th year on 21 May 1639.

Underneath is some latin and wondered if it is the names of his children

Lachrymentem Postse Reliquit prolem. Not sure about the last word. This is over 2 lines and then a bracket and at the side

Johanneni, Thomam, Catherinam, Annam, Magdalenam, Elizabetham.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Just trying to sort out a bit more on the family and think they are Thomas' children.

Would still like to know if the latin means what I think.

Just looking at the other photos I took that day and Thomas' wife Joanne was the daughter of William Walsh of Haddon Oxon. Couldn't find it on the map so googled and the first thing that came up was TNA Will for William, Just ordered that and it is 4 pages long, so will be busy for a while.
    Lin

Comment

google is telling me that the first 3 words are "tears left posts" it stumbles with the last word. was the photo too large for the forum?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I can’t figure out what the last word is but I think the first three are lachrymentem postea reliquit. A very basic literal translation of each word is;
        tears
        afterwards
        left / leaveth or forsook
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-12-21, 19:42.

Comment

Could the fourth word be protem? (more properly pro tem) which is short for pro tempore which means for the time being

Comment

ok. Going out on a very shoogly limb here. It’s been a lifetime since Sixth Year Studies Latin…

If the words are two per line, I reckon the sentiment is something along the lines of [we cried] tears after you left / were gone and [we are] forsaken for the time being - ie. a belief that they will eventually be reunited in the afterlife.

As I said though, I could be way wrong LOL
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-12-21, 19:58.

Comment

Sticking it in Google Translate brings up 'tears left posts' for the first three words.

Obviously this doesn't make sense, but (more googling!)....

Lachrymentem seems to stem from Lacrima = Tear
              Post = behind, after etc

So my guess would be something along the lines of his family being sorrowful of his loss.

I typed in 'tears of those left behind' and it translated to Lacrimae Reliquorum, so that does seem to be the general sentiment.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Just going out and will be back later and look at it all. These photos were taken over 10 years ago and I entered all the deaths etc and never bother with the rest. Too much going on then.

Some of the names seem to be the names of Thomas' children and will see what I can find out about them.

Thanks again.
                Lin

Comment

John Bayles Brass.jpg
                  Remembered this morning that I had a brass rubbing of the plaque sent to me by a distant cousin. This was in 2007 and have learnt a lot since then.
                  The last word was prolem. Thought you might like to see it.
                  Lin

Comment

Off on a tangent, but have you seen this book
                    The Bayles family : origins of the Bayles family in Suffolk and London

I haven't found an internet copy.

Comment

Thanks PF. Just had a look and put my location in and could get one from the library in Salt Lake City, Utah or Boston!!

Been having a look at Thomas' (the one on the plaque) children and he 10. Lucie died in 1638 and have her will and a photo of the flagon she left to the church. A couple more died young. The ones still living are John, Thomas, Magdela, Elizabeth, Anne and Catherine. I think they are all the names relating to the latin names on the plaque. This makes sense for the tears they left behind or similar.

Thanks for all the help. might be back as I am trying to sort out the will I got last night. I think I told you wrong last night in the excitement but his name was William More of Haddon in Oxon.
                      Lin

Comment

Working...
                      X