Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptised over 100 years before Birth

Got all excited thought I'd found a match on Ancestry but
    She has the main man my 3x great grandfather born in 1792 Correct, Baptised 1688 ? I dont think so.

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    Got all excited thought I'd found a match on Ancestry but
    She has the main man my 3x great grandfather born in 1792 Correct, Baptised 1688 ? I dont think so.
    Maybe a typo? I once realised that I had delayed my 2x great grandmother's burial by 100 years - nobody told me, but I bet they thought I was stupid too,. It was there on Ancestry and my website for a good few years before I spotted it.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Have checked the rest of it and so many mistakes, really dont know why they bother, some are so glaringly obvious.

Comment

Some people just collect names and dates and don't look what the result is. Admittedly some are typos.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

One of my closest DNA matches on Ancestry has a tree that is just a list of the names repeated with the same birth dates going back generations, on both sides! It's made it impossible for me to try and trace who they are and how we're related. They haven't responded to any of my messages either. I wish so much that people would at least try and put some effort in to their trees. Some are just a complete mess and it's so frustrating.

Comment

Why do they bother with doing DNA testing if they don't respond to matchings????? Or was it a Christmas present last year and they are not interested and moved on to more interesting hobbies. When I started my research it was microfilms and searching and no indexing so a hobby with work and discoveries. Now it must be hardier to feel involved when everything is given to you with a stroke on the keyboard.
            Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I think it was the ancestry seasonal advertising that began a few years ago that kickstarted the gift giving of DNA kits. The tv marketing of kits was (and still is) all about finding out where your ancestors came from. Sadly many kits will have been returned to the labs by people who only had this aim in mind and never would know that ethnicity reports are the least reliable aspect of DNA testing. Once they got their report then there was no further interest.
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-12-21, 21:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
                Why do they bother with doing DNA testing if they don't respond to matchings????? Or was it a Christmas present last year and they are not interested and moved on to more interesting hobbies..
                I think a fair number of kits, especially around Christmas and Mother's Day are the kind of gift you give when you don't know what to give. And, definitely, advertising leads you to believe that one test tells you all about your ancestors. Of course, it's an emphasis on ethnicity reports, little bit of tree making (mostly from Ancestry Hints).

It started before Ancestry was in the autosomal business, but they had the bucks to advertise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
                  .............. When I started my research it was microfilms and searching and no indexing so a hobby with work and discoveries. Now it must be hardier to feel involved when everything is given to you with a stroke on the keyboard.
                  I've only ever done research online, apart from some information that has come down through the family and was/is accurate!

My older brother had done some little bits on our dad's family in the 1980s (he died in 1991), going back to the "ancestral" village" that he knew was in Buckinghamshire, and meeting some relations there. He'd also met up with one of our younger second cousins who had been doing the graveyards/microfiching etc research as he lived down in that area.

I can remember feeling so excited when I discovered my grandparent's marriage information online, which gave me her maiden name and the names of their fathers. That was the very first thing I tried to find, back in 2004. Knowing my grandmother had 2 sisters helped me so much that afternoon .............. I found her parents and siblings going back to 1871 with results coming fast and furious!! Grandfather's family was a bit harder to follow because he had a very common surname and I had no names of siblings.

There were all these family members that I'd never known about because, for some reason, neither grandmother nor grandfather, nor my parents, ever talked about their aunts and uncles, etc.

I still get excited when I find something new, either in my family or OH's.

Interestingly, that second cousin and myself have been in contact via email for several years. He's helped me a lot by confirming what I've found, and I have given him some leads to search elsewhere that has helped him solve a couple of problems. I'm proud to say that he has not corrected anything that I've found, all the online stuff is accurate with his record searching ............. except that no-one can find out anything before 1740.

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                  X