Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas weddings or births?

Anyone have any of these in their tree?

my parents got married on Christmas eve, mum said it was because of the days off.

I spotted a great aunt last week that was born on Christmas day, and has the middle name Noel!
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

g'g'g'grandfather, 1808, and two of his sibs, all baptised on the same day. Family were probably Dissenters, and didn't want their children baptised except for proof/legal reasons. I think there was a thread quite a while ago, that this might be a time that fees were lifted on Christmas?

The page is full of baptisms done that Christmas. And really nice - the children's DOBs were also recorded but no abode or father's occupation.

Pretty sure I have others, too.

Comment

Christmas Day - nobody in my direct line.
      7 births
      4 deaths
      1 burial
      18 marriages
      24 baptisms

Sarah (Sally) TAPHOUSE, my paternal 4 x great grandmother was baptised on Christmas Eve 1773 in Farnham, Surrey.
      My maternal grandfather died suddenly on Christmas Eve 1978.
      My maternal 5 x great grandparents, George JORDAN & Anne BURROWS, married in Wing, Bucks on Boxing Day 1768.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Several years back (2007!!) we started collecting up Ancestral Anniversaries from the members - we were aiming for one for every day of the year.

The navigation tables and picture were clobbered in the upgrade, but this is the direct link for Christmas Day.

To see other days, you need to ignore the calendar/table links (it tells you to log in and takes you back to the forum) and look on the right hand side - click on the little button on the right to expand the list of Latest Articles, then press View All and scroll through until you get to the date you want, then click on GO TO POST.

Once you are looking at a page you can just click on the other page headings/date under Latest Articles.

Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

It was a very common thing in Scotland to get married on Hogmanay and also Christmas Eve. A lot of weddings took place in the bride’s family home so ideal for the social celebrations to follow. It was really only in the latter half of last century that the practice began to fall away once Christmas Day and Boxing Day became official holidays for the working class.
          We thought about having a Hogmanay wedding ourselves to keep with the old tradition but the thought didn’t last long - the logistics, the expense of booking when hotels etc. would normally be charging through the roof for rooms and food - a nightmare!
          There are a good number of weddings on both days in my mother’s side and in both sides of OH’s family.

Comment

My 3x great grandfather went to register his last child's birth on Christmas day 1847, Kate Harriet Crisp, I bought her cert as her older brother (my 2x great grandfather) was born before civil registration.

Comment

I have a few and Caroline has very kindly put some up on her thread of mine. They were all my direct ancestors. As said before the only holiday they had and a lot of churches waived the fees.

Probably have some more by now.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I was quite surprised to see a Noel in the name of mine., she was born in 1908, wonder if that was a trend?

Lin Fisher you seem to have a good number in your tree!
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Apparently my sister in law was called Carol because she was born just after Christmas. I used to know a child called Holly named for the same reason. A former colleague's daughter was born on Christmas day, they have Christmas in the morning and birthday in the afternoon.

Comment

lots of Mays born in May, Mil has it as her middle name! wonder if there are any other times of the year this applies.

I can't see any others in my tree. For the wider tree I don't have exact DoB if not available on line.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I spent yesterday morning on a IHGS Zoom tutorial (as a paying guest, not as part of a course) - it was about research methodology and based around the Christmas Pedigree tree (the East Worldham based one).

The family has been mentioned on here many times before and at least one other member is also connected to the tree, mine are married ins in three otherwise seemingly unrelated bits of my paternal tree and I've been trying to join the dots and was pleased to see i had reached the same conclusions but he stopped short just where I need to find one of the joins. It was though an excellent two hours and reassuring that I do know what I am doing.

One Mr Christmas married a Miss Frost. One of the attendees was Liz Yule.
                      Caroline

Comment

Carolyn, think I had so many as the families were probably poor and got the service cheap or free!!
                        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                          I spent yesterday morning on a IHGS Zoom tutorial (as a paying guest, not as part of a course) - it was about research methodology and based around the Christmas Pedigree tree (the East Worldham based one).

The family has been mentioned on here many times before and at least one other member is also connected to the tree, mine are married ins in three otherwise seemingly unrelated bits of my paternal tree and I've been trying to join the dots and was pleased to see i had reached the same conclusions but he stopped short just where I need to find one of the joins. It was though an excellent two hours and reassuring that I do know what I am doing.

One Mr Christmas married a Miss Frost. One of the attendees was Liz Yule.
                          love it!
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

i can't think of exact people but i know there are quite a few in my main tree.
                            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

My sister was born on Christmas Day afternoon. She was delivered at home, by a midwife. And yes, when the midwife left on her bike, it had started to snow !

A true Call the Midwife setting.

bcbrit

George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Working...
                              X