Looking for Mason Dudley Marriage, Middlesex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Mason Dudley Marriage, Middlesex

Hi - Robert Mason and Elizabeth (believed to be Dudley) have several children baptised in St Mary Whitechapel in the 1750s.

Would love to find their marriage.

Here's Robert's page on WikiTree
    Is this your ancestor? Compare DNA and explore genealogy for Robert Mason born abt. 1730 London, England died 1770 including research + descendants + DNA connections + more in the free family tree community.

I haven't looked yet, but would also like to find any other records for Robert. Death/burial record may be easy, birth record could be a challenge.
    These are not my peeps, just helping out.

Forgot to add - I didn't find a likely marriage record on Ancestry.

His page in FamilyTree
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

No marriage listed, and he is married to Sarah Elizabeth Dudley.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-12-21, 16:47.

There is one on FMP for Robert Mason marrying Elizabeth Lee both of Whitechapel. Batchelor and Spinster. He is a CordW, which I presume is cordwainer or shoe maker. 9 Sep 1749 at Fleet Prison, this is a clandestine marriage.

Probably means they married without bans or with out parents consent. Not as bad as it sounds. Saw it because of the Whitechapel resisence.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Do you suppose that it is mistranscribed (as in Dud-LEE) or something else?

What do you mean, "Whitechapel resisence"?

Altho these are not my peeps, I do have Masons from this wider area, and they were Dissenters.

Comment

There are a lot more children than on the Wiki Tree. I have found 10 in all dating from 1750 to 1770. Do you have all of them.
        Lin

Comment

Sorry supposed to say residence. !!
          Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
            There are a lot more children than on the Wiki Tree. I have found 10 in all dating from 1750 to 1770. Do you have all of them.
            Yes, I saw the other children on FamilyTree, but firstly - my focus is on their father, and secondly - well, more details on those baptisms? For instance, I think it was William that I put in the WT research notes, saying that this is a possible child, it's in the right parish, but the address is different than the other two addresses known from the baptisms listed. And Mason and Robert are common names, even when combined.

Comment

probably his land tax record, but not even a more precise address (unless someone knows how to derive it from these records?)
              https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

I've looked at several, and they don't give an address, altho sometimes they seem to identify an area by a number. Would there be a legend somewhere that maps those numbers to an address or an area? Unfortunately, even if I knew an address, the records don't give me an occupation or other useful info.
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-12-21, 18:24.

Comment

Baptisms at St Mary, Whitechapel:

15 Dec 1750 William Mason s/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Mill Yard (buried 7 Dec 1751 of Mill Yard)
                25 Oct 1752 Elizabeth Mason d/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Mill Yard (buried 12 Jan 1755, of Rosemary Lane)
                14 Feb 1755 Sarah Mason d/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Rosemary Lane (buried 6 Jun 1756, of Rosemary Lane)
                24 Apr 1757 Robert Mason s/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Rosemary Lane
                22 July 1759 Elizabeth Mason d/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Whites Yard (buried 26 Nov 1760 aged 1yr 6m, of Whites Yard)
                29 Mar 1761 John Mason s/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Whites Yard
                5 Dec 1762 Ann Dudley Mason d/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Whites Yard
                3 Jul 1765 Charlotte Mason d/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Whites Yard
                4 Sep 1767 James Mason s/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Rosemary Lane
                25 Dec 1770 Charles Mason s/o Robert & Elizabeth Mason, Whites Yard
                Last edited by teasie; 08-12-21, 23:44.

Comment

teasie Thank you for the baptism compilation - and the burials.

I also like the clandestine marriage record in 1749. There were 5 marriages on the same day (the 9th)

I'm trying to read more about Clandestine Marriages. Found this book on google, but can't download the entire book
                  https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover

Wikipedia may provide enough info:
                  During the 1740s, up to 6,000 marriages a year were taking place in the Fleet area, compared with 47,000 in England as a whole. One estimate suggests that there were between 70 and 100 clergymen working in the Fleet area between 1700 and 1753

Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-12-21, 04:31.

Comment

PF, I have a couple marrying at Fleet Prison and they were both from Leicestershire. Neither were underage and she wasn't expecting so don't know why.

Looking at the baptisms the addresses could be that Whites Yard is a few houses off Rosemary Lane.

Lin

Comment

Not much info on here - but remember talking about clandestine marriages before as I had never heard of them

Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I guess we'll never know for certain, but I think that marriage is very likely theirs. Reading about Tarrant, he performed many, many marriages. I could easily believe that when he was writing in his record the name "Dudley" could have been transformed into "Lee"

Comment

Why do you think the bride's name was dudley?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            Why do you think the bride's name was dudley?
                            Again, these are not my peeps...

but - the bio of their son that emigrated to North America reported that mother's name is Dudley, and one of their daughters does have Dudley as a middle name.

Comment

Working...
                            X