Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Higham, Kent - anyone with local knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higham, Kent - anyone with local knowledge?

Hello, this a bit of a long shot but I wondered if anyone knew Higham in Kent. I have a relation who had a shop at 2 Brookers Place, Chequers road from 1861-1901. He died in 1903 and by 1911 his grand daughter has a shop at The Brambles, Lower Higham. Could this have been the same shop? I have looked online but am not sure at all. Someone with local knowledge may be able to help. Thank you.

I can't answer your query but your relation would certainly have known some of my relations in the Field and Chipperfield families who would have bought fom his shop.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by Countrymouse View Post
      Hello, this a bit of a long shot but I wondered if anyone knew Higham in Kent. I have a relation who had a shop at 2 Brookers Place, Chequers road from 1861-1901. He died in 1903 and by 1911 his grand daughter has a shop at The Brambles, Lower Higham. Could this have been the same shop? I have looked online but am not sure at all. Someone with local knowledge may be able to help. Thank you.
      Do you mean the same shop but moved, or the address was renamed?

I can find 2 Brookers place on the 1911 census, and can see that the Savage family are living there, so it is not the same premises.

the 1911 summary books are often easier to get a perspective on the area, this has the Brambles, and Brookers place

not sure if you have access to ancestry
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-11-21, 23:09.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you very much. You have completely answered my question! I wondered if the grand daughter had taken over the same premises but clearly not.

Comment

Thank you very much. You have completely answered my question! I wondered if the grand daughter had taken over the same premises but clearly not.
          It could be that she did take it over, but in her own premises, Maybe worth a search in 1901 and see what her premises were, and in existence. The fact that his appears to be a home, could mean she moved it - it's only around the corner by the looks of it.

I didn't look to see if either were in any of the trade directories, did you?
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-12-21, 13:40.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

No I haven't looked any further yet. In 1901 she was staying with her grandfather but he died in 1903. She may well have continued his shop in new premises. Thanks.

Comment

I was going to suggest using google to walk the streets of Higham to see if you could place the shops..
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes, I should do that. I am surprised I didn't think of it as I often google addresses to see if the house they were living in is still there. Thanks!

Comment

Yes, I should do that. I am surprised I didn't think of it as I often google addresses to see if the house they were living in is still there. Thanks!
                  You're very welcome and welcome to our forum
                  Julie

Comment

Hello and welcome

Also look out for trade directories and valuation rolls to check if the shop moved from one building to another. Then try Google maps as others have suggested to see if it is still there. Another thing is to check with archives, libraries etc. to find out if any streets locally were ever re-numbered. This info could also be online with local history groups. As an example, many streets in the six Staffordshire towns known as The Potteries underwent not only renumbering but also renaming. All the info on what changed is online at thepotteries.org

Comment

Can seem to find any trade directories atm, I am sure there must be some.

did spot this https://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Kent/Higham

you probably looked at this

https://www.charlesdickenspage.com/c...igham-map.html he seemed to be in upper higham though
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                        Can seem to find any trade directories atm, I am sure there must be some.
                        This site has been helpful but it can take a while to get used to, I still don't quite use it to it's full advantage.

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

This site has been helpful but it can take a while to get used to, I still don't quite use it to it's full advantage.

I can't see any that mention Higham though, tried Ancestry too - same set on there but different search.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Now on PC and can search better, no help but here he is:

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/d...d/322176/rec/3

can't see a Martin now
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-12-21, 16:52.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you Darksecretz and cbcarolyn ! I particularly like the map. I have used the directories site before but, as you say, it isn't the easiest. Thanks for your help.
                              Last edited by Countrymouse; 09-12-21, 11:59.

Comment

The Higham Village History Group were very helpful to me when I had a query about a house in their village. I will PM you the contact details as it may not be allowed to post them here.
                                People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                                Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who helped with my query and happy new year!

Comment

Working...
                                  X