No announcement yet.

Help with this family please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jane Jr was discharged in 1882: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...65&cat=1389833

Looks like Hugh Jr was sent to Canada 30 May 1883: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ce&pId=2060469

also see https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...IdNumber=15522
    Last edited by teasie; 02-12-21, 00:47.

Comment

I wonder if this is also Hugh Jr in 1891 - a prisoner in Quebec:

Comment

There is a death in 1875 in St Giles for a Hugh Gough, which at the moment i am presuming is him. I have ordered the marriage cert for Hugh and Jane, so i am hoping that will give me some more info as to the parents of these two!
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          If this is Jane senior I can't find her discharged.

Just to recap family are?
          Hugh McGough 1819
          Jane Joanne 1830ish Callaghan or Corrigan

John 1849 b Hull
          Henry 1852 b Hull
          Mathias 1858 b London died 1863
          Michael 1858 b London
          Anna McGOVERN Born 5 Dec 1860 Amy
          Mathias 1863 b London
          Joanna McGOURAN Born 4 Dec 1866 Jane
          Hugh (transcribed as henry and Hugo) 1869
          Gulielmus (William) McGOVERY born 29 May 1871

Gough Also known as McGough, Mcgoff and a variety of names beginning McGo!

Odd that there is another Hugh Gough in same place with same MMN in 1871 Can only be a coincidence? or is the Hugh born in 1871 and the first died? or is it William and not Hugh

GOUGH, HUGH CALLAGHAN
          GRO Reference: 1869 S Quarter in ST.GILES Volume 01B Page 530
          GOUGH, HUGH CALLAGHAN
          GRO Reference: 1871 S Quarter in ST GILES Volume 01B Page 499
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-12-21, 13:45.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If this is Jane senior I can't find her discharged.
            See my post #20
            Originally posted by teasie View Post
            It looks like Jane absconded on 22 Jan 1877: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...11&cat=1389833

Comment

See my post #20

doh - I looked at that and thought it was Jane Junior! sorry my bad.

there is a Henry Goff that was born in Middx and a fisherman in Yorkshire in 1871. He might have moved to Middx, or maybe stayed up there with grandparents? Perhaps doesn't know his pob
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Oh he is quite interesting, isn't he? I thought maybe it was a coincidence he was in Hull but it seems the Walter Drew was only launched on 11 March 1871 - owned by William Sparks of Hull.

There are a few records for a H Goff /Gough born c1852 London

01 Jul 1877 - 31 Dec 1877 - Henry Goff 25 aboard the Annie Maud (cook & seaman). Previously aboard the J Prizeman.
                15 Oct 1881 - 16 Jan 1882 - H Gough 30 aboard the Anglian. Was previously on the Guadiana.
                09 Feb 1882 - 17 Apr 1882 - H Gough 30 aboard the Spartan. Was previously on the Anglian (see above)
                01 Jan 1886 - 30 Sep 1886 - Henry Goff 34 aboard the Jessamine. Was previously on the Express. The image is on FmP, looks like he was discharged at Ellesmere Port as 'fell from aloft'.

Assuming they're all the same man, the 1881 census has him aboard the Matheran, in St Just in Roseland, Truro - aged 29 and married.

I guess its impossible to know :/

But.... there's an interesting record for JANE SR before she married Hugh. It confirms she married Patrick Cunniff/Carniff, came to London from Hull, and (in 1856) had three children: John, Henry & Mary Ann. But she now says she thinks she was born in Glasgow (!!) and first recollects herself in Manchester

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...rce&pId=389350

I still can't find Henry's birth, but here's Mary Ann's: CORNIFF, MARY ANN mmn CALLAGHAN GRO Reference: 1856 J Quarter in HULL Volume 09D Page 195

I also wondered about this one:
                CONNIFF, MATTHEW mmn CURRIGAN GRO Reference: 1850 S Quarter in STOCKPORT Volume 19 Page 309

Could Matthew be Henry????
                Last edited by teasie; 03-12-21, 00:06.

Comment

It looks like Mary Ann was buried at Victoria Park Cemetery, Hackney on 18 April 1857, aged 13 Months. Address was just Christchurch. Surname transcribed as Corneffe

Comment

What a nightmare family, why couldn't they have more easily pronounced names! And now it seems they baptise with one name and register with another? So Jane thinks she is born in Scotland, but her first memories are in Manchester. I guess her name probably is celtic
                    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                      There is a death in 1875 in St Giles for a Hugh Gough, which at the moment i am presuming is him
                      I think you're right. There is a RC burial / funeral entry for him at St Patrick, Soho Square, which is the right area for St Giles..

25 April 1875 Hugh Gough of Kennedy's Court aged 54 (now for the latin bit!) sacramentis munitus sub conditionus, cujus corpus die

The others don't have 'sub conditionus' and I have no idea of the significance of it.

Comment

This might be John's birth, and perhaps an earlier marriage for Jane?

CONNIFF, JOHN mmn CARRIGAN GRO Reference: 1849 M Quarter in SCULCOATES Volume 22 Page 593

1848 Sculcoates Register Offices or Registrar Attended - Patrick CONNIFF & Jane CORRIGAN
                        There is a vague possibility for John in 1901 & 1911 in St Donats, Wales

1901 - RG13/5048/118/11
                        John Canniff 49 Masons Labourer b Wapping, London
                        Amelia 53 wife b Hakin, Pembroke

1911 - RG14/32564; Schedule 19
                        John Canniff 62 Masons Labourer b Wapping, London
                        Amelia 64 wife b Milford, Pembroke. Married 15 years, no children.

No sign of a marriage of course There was a possible earlier one (1871) in Westminster - John Coniff & Ellen Brennan or Caroline Storey

Comment

Oh he is quite interesting, isn't he? I thought maybe it was a coincidence he was in Hull but it seems the Walter Drew was only launched on 11 March 1871 - owned by William Sparks of Hull.

There are a few records for a H Goff /Gough born c1852 London

01 Jul 1877 - 31 Dec 1877 - Henry Goff 25 aboard the Annie Maud (cook & seaman). Previously aboard the J Prizeman.
                          15 Oct 1881 - 16 Jan 1882 - H Gough 30 aboard the Anglian. Was previously on the Guadiana.
                          09 Feb 1882 - 17 Apr 1882 - H Gough 30 aboard the Spartan. Was previously on the Anglian (see above)
                          01 Jan 1886 - 30 Sep 1886 - Henry Goff 34 aboard the Jessamine. Was previously on the Express. The image is on FmP, looks like he was discharged at Ellesmere Port as 'fell from aloft'.

Assuming they're all the same man, the 1881 census has him aboard the Matheran, in St Just in Roseland, Truro - aged 29 and married.

I guess its impossible to know :/

But.... there's an interesting record for JANE SR before she married Hugh. It confirms she married Patrick Cunniff/Carniff, came to London from Hull, and (in 1856) had three children: John, Henry & Mary Ann. But she now says she thinks she was born in Glasgow (!!) and first recollects herself in Manchester

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...rce&pId=389350

I still can't find Henry's birth, but here's Mary Ann's: CORNIFF, MARY ANN mmn CALLAGHAN GRO Reference: 1856 J Quarter in HULL Volume 09D Page 195

I also wondered about this one:
                          CONNIFF, MATTHEW mmn CURRIGAN GRO Reference: 1850 S Quarter in STOCKPORT Volume 19 Page 309

Could Matthew be Henry????
                          I spotted him in Cornwall, and then started to try and find a marriage, but wasn't sure where to look, as could be anywhere, and so many spellings! maybe 1901 census if he managed to stay alive! somehow he feels kind of right

who knew you could spell Conniff in so many ways, well and all their other surnames.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                          X