Searching for an old soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for an old soldier

I’ve been trying to find my great grandfather’s military history , Frederick George Andrews born 1860 in Hampshire and the family story is that he served in the 4th Hussars . We have a painting of him as a young man in hussars uniform . I can’t seem to find him in any of the Ancestry military history pages .
    I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction for a search ?

thanks for reading

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    Hi Val

yes I do have his will and I’ve researched his family tree with great success but his military history just seems impossible to find ! I had assumed as he was in the 4th hussars I might be able to find some details of his service . By 1888 he was no longer in the military and that was the year he married in Altrincham Cheshire . I’d just love to know some of the detail of his time in the Hussars . My great aunt , his youngest daughter was always so proud of him .

Comment

Hi Liz,

have you looked here?

Search for military records for family, persons, notables and others. The premier site for military history research for genealogists, researchers, history buffs. Military source documents found here.

it might be that he served in a different section of the Hussars?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        Hi Liz,

have you looked here?

Search for military records for family, persons, notables and others. The premier site for military history research for genealogists, researchers, history buffs. Military source documents found here.

it might be that he served in a different section of the Hussars?
        I’ll have a look at that today . I was beginning to wonder if my great aunt had got the story right but we do have the very big portrait of him in Hussars Uniform and I know that was on the wall at the house in Congleton where he died in 1926. My great aunt then lived in the house with her mother . Thank you

liz

Comment

Originally posted by congletonian View Post

I’ll have a look at that today . I was beginning to wonder if my great aunt had got the story right but we do have the very big portrait of him in Hussars Uniform and I know that was on the wall at the house in Congleton where he died in 1926. My great aunt then lived in the house with her mother . Thank you

liz
          I did have a look at the Army museum but they have suspended enquiries that pertain to soldiers... [covid]

I can't for the life of me use TNA site, but if you can you might find something there?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have zero knowledge of army records, I assume the 4th Hussars are these:

So he would have been barracked in London at sometime? do you have him on the census? does that give you a clue how long he would have been in it?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

National archives have records not digitised
              The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

this is the list of records:
              This guide contains advice on locating records of British Army regiments, as opposed to records of individual soldiers. Regimental records are varied, sometimes incomplete and held in a variety of places. What do I need to know before I start? Many regiments have changed their identities, some merging with other regiments, over the course of […]

one day you will be able to go here!
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If he only served for a short period then he may not have qualified for a pension, in which case his records would likely not have been retained. I've checked FmP and there's noting for him there.

If I have the right person then he was recorded as George in the 1871 & 1881 census

1861 - Church Street, Alton, Hants RG9/705/31/11
                Frederick Andrews 39 Farmer b Binsted
                Emily 36 wife b Binsted
                Sydney 7 b Bentley
                Dora 6 b Bentley
                Frank 5 b Bentley
                Emily 2 b Binsted
                Frederick G b Binsted

1871 - Ockenden Home School, Alton, Hants RG10/1225/65/11
                Frank C Andrews 14 b Bentley
                George Andrews 10 b Binsted
                Ralph Andrews 9 b Binsted

1881 - Dean Farm House, Kingsley, Alton, Hants - RG11/1248/89/14
                Thomas F Parker 23 Farmer of 26 Acres b Lasham
                George Andrews 20 Cousin, Gardener b Binsted

Thomas Frank Parker married a Sarah Andrews in 1879, so I think 'George' was actually cousin to Sarah, not Thomas. (Sarah's father was James, who I think was Frederick Sr's brother)

If this is him then he's accounted for in all of the census 1861-1881 and then married in 1888, so any army service would have been for a short period in the 1880's.and unlikely to qualify for pension.
                Last edited by teasie; 29-11-21, 13:21.

Comment

weren't the 4th Hussars in Sudan 1880's - hang on - time for Wiki - formed 1861

4th (Queen's Own) Hussars - (1861)yes they fought in Sudan and Egypt - the picture of Frederick - is he in a knee length BLACK Tunic uniform ?

Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi all

I have him at boarding school in Hampshire in 1871. Then in 1881 he is staying with a cousin and he is described as a gardener ! So I assume it was at some point in those 10 years that he was in the 4th Hussars . The painting we have in uniform is just from the waist up so shows the usual hussar jacket . The stripes or bands across the front of the jacket are gold in the painting but we think they would have actually been black , ie the same colour as the jacket
                    Liz
                    Last edited by congletonian; 29-11-21, 16:55.

Comment

The only possibility I can see is an F Andrews No 2240 discharged from the 13th Hussars 6 Aug 1883. Looks like he bought his discharge for £10, but no further details.

Comment

I was only able to trace my ancestor thru muster rolls - all at TNA when the search was done by a private researcher.

Does the portrait give any idea of rank? Does family legend or any other records give ideas about where and when he served? You can probably bracket the time frame knowing other events in his life when he wasn't serving - e.g., censuses, marriage, birth of children, and so on.
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-11-21, 20:51.

Comment

Yes Teasie that is my great grandfather and yes he was known as George even though his name was Frederic George at baptism and birth certificate .
                          im not sure about the soldier you found as I don’t know his service number . I ve always wondered if he went into the Hussars when he left school so before the 1881 census . My late dad thought there was a family story that when he left the Hussars the father of one of his friends in the army found him a job as a gardener . I can’t recall if that was Thomas Sowler or someone called Munro . I tried to find them too in the 4th Hussars but no success .
                          yes I did know Frederic George was the cousin of Sarah Parker nee Andrews and yes Sarah’s father James was the brother of Frederick Andrews , father of Frederic George .

Liz

Comment

Working...
                          X