Ancestor Pie Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestor Pie Chart

My Father was Welsh and my Mother English.

I presume (in the Pie chart world) that I am 50% Welsh.

On my Mothers side my Great Grandfather (1858 – 1931) was French.

How much of a portion on a pie chart does the French connection affect the percentage on my Mothers side ?

Any help appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum, are you meaning via DNA? Or do you mean just so that you 'know' you are say a qtr French?

I assume unless you trace your ancestors back a long way you will never know. I thought my husband was welsh, but turned out that they moved to Wales in the 1850s, from England.

Hopefully someone will be able to better answer this than me, I don't know if some of the family tree software out there will keep a 'pie chart' going as you find pob of ancestors.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      Or do you mean just so that you 'know' you are say a qtr French?

Yes, quarter, eighth, sixteenth or similar please.

I traced the French side back to 1540 - they all lived within about 20 miles/kilometres of each other in probably the most boring part of France - and I intend visiting that region next year if possible.

Comment

You have 8 Great Grandparents so each GGP is an eighth of your ancestry - or 12.5%.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Ethnicity/regions estimated on DNA testing sites varies, and accuracy, is, well, still a black art.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            Ethnicity/regions estimated on DNA testing sites varies, and accuracy, is, well, still a black art.
            Thanks but I’m not looking for total accuracy although 12.5% looks okay to me

Comment

Originally posted by KeithChesterfield View Post

Yes, quarter, eighth, sixteenth or similar please.

I traced the French side back to 1540 - they all lived within about 20 miles/kilometres of each other in probably the most boring part of France - and I intend visiting that region next year if possible.
              Now i'm intrigued to know where they are from!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

Now i'm intrigued to know where they are from!
                They have lived, and died, over hundreds of years in Loiret – about 50/60 miles south of Paris – in or near Malesherbes, Erceville and Mainvilliers.

I have travelled throughout great swathes of France for years and I don't believe I've ever passed through that area – it seems to be vast flat agricultural land which would have been a good way of life for them but it doesn't seem to be a tourist magnet in this day and age.

Still, given the all clear to go abroad again we will definitely pass through those towns and village and call at local cemeteries and see if there are any records of my ancestors.

Comment

Working...
                X