Asylum records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asylum records

I’m looking to find the asylum records for my gg uncle Robert Chapman born 1865, Lambeth, London. I’ve found him in the 1901 and 1911 census’ at City of London Asylum, Stone near Dartford but I’d like more information, if that’s possible. The records are kept at the Metropolitan Archives and searching suggests they are available on Ancestry but I can’t find them.

I’d very much like to know more as my mum told me he was kept in an upstairs room with barred windows in the family home in Balham. She was born in 1922. There could be more info on the 1921 census but it still won’t be the info I’m seeking.

Can anyone give me some help on this please.

Just to say I haven’t done any research for quite a while so I haven’t been here in some time. Here’s hoping, thank you

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/lu...sylum-records/ is a useful guide.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thank you. I’ve found the records n Ancestry now but no joy. I don’t understand how to search in TNA. It’s very complicated. I have found some of the archives but I don’t know how to progress. Any suggestions please?

Comment

The records are not available on TNA. Go into discovery catalogue and enter City of London Lunatic Asylum. The records are at the London Metropolitan Archives. You can now visit the site or use a Researcher the latter at cost
        ​​​​​​
        I have managed to get Asylum records in the past. The records were very revealing and I treasure them for the descriptions they gave.

Vera

Comment

It looks like he actually went through several asylums before he ended up at Stone.

The record set All UK, Lunacy Patients Admission Registers has three entries for him: 17 Jun 1897 Sussex, 27 Jan 1898 Hanwell & 28 Sep 1898 Bexley.

The index here (middle column) gives three references for him - pages 123, 161 & 172, which are linked below:
          Page 123
          Page 161

Page 172

I wasn't sure it was him to begin with, but the 1901 census shows him at the London County Asylum (Bexley), and the entry on page 172 shows he was discharged to private class 19 Jan 1905 and removed to Stone Asylum 29 Jun 1906. I don't really know the difference between Bexley and Stone as they seem like the same place to me, but perhaps they were different wings?

I'll try and find more, but the Admission Order on Ancestry dated 27 Jan 1898 confirms he was transferred from Haywards Heath

Comment

Not doing very well at finding much more at the moment - others may do better - but the following confirm that Wandsworth were paying for him when he was in the Sussex asylum:
            1898 Claim re Sussex Asylum
            1898 Claim re Hanwell

ADDED: I'm struggling to find why he was admitted in 1897. There is a brief admission summary for 1898, but it only says that he has varicose veins - so probably not the reason for admission! 1898 Admission Summary (you'll need to rotate the page)

Comment

Thank you all for your help. Having squinted at the records, it looks as if a letter (possibly a solicitors) says the debt will be collected on his death. He was so young to have varicose veins in both legs. I’m wondering if he was a Down’s syndrome child with circulatory problems and erratic behaviour. His father John died in 1894 but his mother was still living and Mum always said she was an evil old woman

Anyway, I’ve printed or recorded this information. So thank you again.

Comment

One more document for you, which indicates that there was a Removal Order from Steyning (who had adjudged him a lunatic) dated 20 Sept 1897. It goes onto the 2nd page, but there's nothing of particular use/interest: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...01&cat=1390391

Comment

Ooooh, this looks good: https://www.thekeep.info/collections...1_2_33_1_1_427

Title: St Francis Hospital patient case record: Robert Chapman, 29, No occupation of 3 Gladstone Terrace, Portslade
                  Date:17 Jun 1897
                  Description: Chargeable to East Steyning Union; cause of insanity, not known; condition, mania; condition on discharge, transferred to Hanwell Asylum; date of discharge, 28 Jan 1898; next of kin, Emma Chapman, mother
                  Creator(s): St Francis Hospital, Haywards Heath

Repository: East Sussex Record Office
                  ESRO reference: HC 33/1/427-428

Comment

And this one - his Reception Order: https://www.thekeep.info/collections..._1_2_2_24_8017

Reception document: Robert CHAPMAN
                    Date:17 Jun 1897
                    Date of Previous Admission:
                    Sex: male
                    Condition as to marriage: single
                    Condition of life and previous occupation: none
                    Previous place of abode: 3 Gladstone Terrace, Portslade, near Brighton
                    County, union or parish to which chargeable: Steyning
                    Form of mental disorder: mania
                    Supposed cause of insanity:
                    Age on first attack: 29
                    Date of discharge, removal or death: 27 Jan 1898
                    Condition on discharge or removal; or died: not improved
                    Observations:
                    Source of above data: HC 32/8

Creator: St Francis Hospital, Haywards Heath
                    Related Material: This patient may have an entry in case book HC 33/1 - please see Scanned Images at The Keep

Comment

Thank you tease. I’ll have to look into the term mania. Don’t think he was Downs then. This is definitely my gg uncle.

Comment

Working...
                      X