Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m completely flummoxed . Can anyone help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m completely flummoxed . Can anyone help ?

I’ve been doing some research for my nephew’s partner . She knows very little about her mum’s ancestors and asked if I could help . She and her mum only go as far back as her mums parents . They were Sydney and Doris ( nee Priestley) . Sydney was born 1915 at Sculcoates and I think I’ve got the right Doris Priestley born 1921 ? Sydney was a psychiatric nurse . There is a marriage in 1945 at Spen Valley which I think is theirs . However I just can’t find Doris before the marriage and no info on her in family trees on Ancestry so that means I can’t find her parents either ! Apparently there was a family story that Doris’ mum may have been Irish and might have married twice ? So I’m stuck as I don’t know what marriage I’m looking for ! Has anyone got any ideas of what to do next ? thanks for reading this
    Liz

my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

What was Sidney's surname? Have you found him in 1939?
    Spen Valley is a little bit out of area if they were both Hull people.
    Anne

Comment

Hi, do you have any idea of the occupation for Doris? Do you have her birth cert for the exact date of birth?

There is a Doris Priestley the 1939 register who is born 1921. Interestingly she has the name Priestley scored out and Hillyard written in.
      My English geography isn't very good so I am not sure if the location of Leeds is any good. She is a Tailor's machinist.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

have you got any idea where she was born?

Comment

Hi Liz, what was Sydney's last name? Blanchard?
          Having the marriage cert would be useful for her father's name and Occupation. If not then it would be difficult to know if you are following the correct path.

Marriages Jun 1945
          Blanchard Sydney Spen Valley 9b 1320
          Priestley Doris
          Edit:
          1939 living 167 Bungalow Solway Road Goothill Lane, Batley, Batley

Harry Priestley 05 May 1861 Male Joiner (Retired) Married 84 1
          Elizabeth Priestley (Sharps) 06 Oct 1878 Female Paid Domestic Duties Widowed 84 2
          Doris M Blanchard (Priestley) 06 ? 1921 Female Junior Clerk Single 84 3 (MAY 6th) looks like.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Doris Pollard (Priestley) 27 Apr 1921 Female Typist Manufacture Office Single 100 4

what about this one in 1939

Comment

Just a thought.....if Doris had children there could be family names used which might give a clue to the parents!
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

On the 1939 census her mum is a widow name of Sharp. She has Priestley written as a later marriage.
                So was Doris the daughter of Harry Priestley or was she a Sharp and took her Mum's husbands name?
                Edit:
                Marriages Mar 1940
                Priestley Harry Spen Valley 9b 1476
                Sharp Sarah(?) E
                Kat

Comment

Harry Priestley was born 1861 according to 1939 Register.

Births Jun 1861
                  Priestley Harry Huddersfield 9a 282

I think Harry must be her grandfather? He would have been 60 at her birth if correct.
                  You would need to get the marriage cert to find her father's name and occupation.
                  Kat

Comment

Oh sorry I meant to say Sydney’s surname was Blanchard . I was also wondering about Harry Priestley , the one you found . On the 1911 census whoever filled in the form ( maybe Harry) has put that Eliza is housekeeper and then lists the children . He then writes across the columns 3 illegitimate sons and 1 daughter . The children are aged from 8 years old and less . He fills in how many years married as 26 years ! But no Doris
                    liz

Comment

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
                      Oh sorry I meant to say Sydney’s surname was Blanchard . I was also wondering about Harry Priestley , the one you found . On the 1911 census whoever filled in the form ( maybe Harry) has put that Eliza is housekeeper and then lists the children . He then writes across the columns 3 illegitimate sons and 1 daughter . The children are aged from 8 years old and less . He fills in how many years married as 26 years ! But no Doris
                      liz
                      That's why I think he is Doris's grandfather as she wasn't born until 1921.

On 1911 he is living Soothill lane, Batley same as 1939 reg.
                      Kat

Comment

1901 census living Soothill Upper, Hanging Heaton

Harry Priestley 39 1862 Thongsbridge, Yorkshire,
                        Annie E Priestley 14 1887 Batley, Yorkshire
                        Herbert Priestley 8 1893 Hanging Heaton, Yorkshire, [died 8 May 1915 France and Flanders, born Batley - father Harry]

Cannot see another son. Maybe one of his daughters had an illegitimate daughter - Doris or one of his illegitimate sons took his Priestley name?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

with wife Martha.
                        Death? Mar qtr 1891 PRIESTLEY Martha 27 Bradford, Y. 9b 22

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ry&o_vc=Record :OtherRecord&rhSource=6598
                        with mother and brother

1871 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery.../26441449:7619
                        with parents
                        Kat

Comment

Thank you so much for all that information Katarzyna. I need to work on finding Doris as granddaughter of Harry . I will see if there’s any connection with one of Harry’s daughters as you suggest . My nephew’s partner says that the family story was of some illegitimacy but she doesn’t know in which branch . Quite a mystery to solve . You have helped enormously

Liz

Comment

Doris May Blanchard b.6/5/1921, d.1976 Hull - this ties in with the Doris M. Priestley with Harry Priestley in 1939.

Births have only one Doris M. Priestley in Jun.1921 Boston, Lincolnshire - mmn Rivett. 3 siblings, easily found in index.

Her father George V. Priestley b.14/2/1886 married Kathleen Rivett (b.2/6/1895) Sept.qtr.1917 Boston - they are still in Boston 1939 with their youngest daughter and daughter Doris M. is with Harry.

However, I can find no blood line link between Harry Priestley and her father George Valentine Priestley which is very odd.

Annette

Comment

Birth:
                              PRIESTLEY, GEORGE VALENTINE mmn CURSON
                              GRO Reference: 1886 M Quarter in BOSTON Volume 07A Page 441

Parents marriage:
                              Marriages Jun 1881
                              CURSON Charlotte Gresswell Boston 7a 696
                              Priestley Samuel

1891 census in Boston - Samuel and Charlotte and George Valentine
                              https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery.../19579484:6598
                              Samuel b c1854 Kirton Lincs

I cannot find a link either :(
                              Most strange. Will have a fresh look later.

I still think you need Doris's marriage cert before the birth cert as that would be the only doc with her father's name and occupation on.
                              Kat

Comment

The births of the children on the 1911 census show the mmn of Regan/Ragan, so I think that this is Doris's birth, and Harry is her father.:

SHARP, DORIS MAY PRIESTLEY mmn RAGEN GRO Reference: 1921 J Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 1162

Comment

Hi Annette and Katarzyna

Thank you so much for all the research you’ve been doing . I’ve asked my nephew to ask the family if they have Doris and Sydney marriage certificate . They are going to look for it . They also say that Doris’ mum was married twice and that she was Irish but they don’t know which part of Ireland . They are pretty sure the marriage took place in around 1932 when Doris was 11 . So from that we know Doris was born in 1921. I’ll see if I can find anything else while they look for Doris’ marriage certificate

Liz

Comment

To follow on from the above, Elizabeth RAGAN (aka Sarah Elizabeth) married John Hodgson SHARP in Dewsbury in 1900, and they appear to have had a daughter, Florence Agnes, shortly afterwards, followed by Lily, who is on the 1911 census:

SHARP, FLORENCE AGNES mmn REGAN GRO Reference: 1901 M Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 569
                                    SHARP, LILY mmn REGAN GRO Reference: 1902 D Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 569

ADDED: John Hodgson Sharp died in 1904,

The 'Priestley' Children follow after that:

SHARP, HARRY PRIESTLEY mmn REGAN GRO Reference: 1906 M Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 641
                                    SHARPE, JAMES PRIESTLEY mmn RAGAN GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 609
                                    SHARP, ALFRED PRIESTLEY mmn RAGAN GRO Reference: 1911 M Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 57

Having said that, I don't see any other children between Alfred 1911 & Doris 1921, so either she was a 'surprise' baby, or..... maybe she wasn't Harry's after all, because look at Sarah Elizabeth's mmn!!!

RAGAN, SARAH ELIZABETH mmn PRIESTLEY GRO Reference: 1878 D Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 647

Comment

The Irish connection seems to come in with Sarah Elizabeth's parents, James & Ellen. In 1881 they are at New Street, Batley with numerous children, including Sarah Elizabeth - RG11/4546/12/17

Birth of their sons Walter:& Joseph:
                                      RAGAN, JOSEPH mmn PRICESTLEY GRO Reference: 1873 J Quarter in LEEDS Volume 09B Page 487
                                      RAGAN, WALTER mmn PRIESTLEY GRO Reference: 1874 D Quarter in LEEDS Volume 09B Page 463

Confusingly they also seem to have had a Sarah Hannah, which may be why Sarah Elizabeth switched between forenames
                                      RAGAN, SARAH HANNAH mmn PRIESTLEY GRO Reference: 1876 M Quarter in LEEDS Volume 09B Page 540
                                      RAGAN, SARAH ELIZABETH mmn PRIESTLEY GRO Reference: 1878 D Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 647

James RAGAN married Ellen PRIESTLEY in 1864, Holbeck

Comment

Wow Teasie that is fantastic research and I’m sure you’re right . It would explain why the family story is of “lots of illegitimacy in the family” ! Now I just need to make it all accessible for them as they are not family history researchers themselves !

many many thanks . I’ve told them about all the help I’m getting from the wonderful people on Family tree forum !

liz

Comment

Working...
                                        X