What's your next move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post

Must need to go to Specsavers, I'm not seeing a count. It says I have 391 matches over 20 cM but it doesn't count each one as far as I can see.
    Anne
    3B0CD935-6330-42AB-99CB-9FB232DAA74D.jpeg

Click the green button, then Filter, then choose 4th cousins and closer. When that’s done, click near the top right on Sort and choose by date.

My number on the image has increased from about 3 on the day my results came through in 2017 to 503 as of last month. Number 500 was my paternal 1st cousin who joined 14 October and got his results about three weeks ago.

Comment

OMG! I'm not such a numbers person. Can't remember how many I started with or had last week haha! I really thought you meant there was a little number beside each one, not that you remembered! Good for you, being so organised 😀
      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post

Must need to go to Specsavers, I'm not seeing a count. It says I have 391 matches over 20 cM but it doesn't count each one as far as I can see.
        Anne
        if I click on the shared DNA button/tab it comes up with a number mine says all matches 12,818, and can see I have 355 4th and above - well that is my brothers DNA!
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-12-21, 21:57.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I would love to be able to find out more about two of my 2xGreat grandmothers and a 3x Great Grandmother from Indonesia. I think one was Chinese, and at least one of the other 2 was Indonesian or part Indonesian. Records for this area are very few and far between.
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            I would love to be able to find out more about two of my 2xGreat grandmothers and a 3x Great Grandmother from Indonesia. I think one was Chinese, and at least one of the other 2 was Indonesian or part Indonesian. Records for this area are very few and far between.
            Have you done DNA testing? Might help with ethnicity? So even if you can't find records, you might find the cultural group they came from?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

Have you done DNA testing? Might help with ethnicity? So even if you can't find records, you might find the cultural group they came from?
              I have Kyle, and have had a few matches with links to Indonesia but none that have helped going back on these lines. The ethnicity results are quite interesting, and have become more precise over the years - they now include Vietnamese and Dai!
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                A few weeks ago, I messaged my 502nd match having already worked out who it is. I know from certs, he has gone wrong with one man and attached him to the wrong parents. I was hoping to find out why he had those parents in his tree - just in case the birth cert. I had for the man contained fibs, which is not unknown Sadly it seems I am not going to find out. If he's happy with such slapdash and unverified tree building and not interested in being handed the correct info on a plate then there's not a lot I can do to help. If he had expressed an interest, I'd have happily given him copies of what documentation I have.

My message (full names replaced here with initials);

Hello _____,
                You appeared on my match list last week and although our shared DNA isn't that big, I have worked out that we are 3rd cousins twice removed.
                Your Gt. Granny I.E.'s father T.E. was a son of W.E. and M.S.
                M.S. aka M.M. on a couple of censuses was one of four illegitimate daughters of A.S. before she married my 2xGt. Grandfather J. M. My Gt. Grandfather (another J.) was their first legitimate child.
                I am a bit puzzled though by the parents you have in your tree for H.B. 1916-1976 husband of I.E. Could you let me know where you got that info please?
                Best regards,

His reply;
                I linked my tree to a former relative so it may not be fully accurate.
                sorry I can't help any further
                GL, your correspondent sounds like the chap in Australia who I once contacted re "Uncle Bob", who I had worked out was the alleged father of his own deceased father in law. The contact's tree contained the parentage and place and dob of Uncle Bob, but I was very unsure that this Robert was the one I was seeking. (With the surname Jones and a birth place of North Wales, I was really excited of the prospect of having found someone who could help.) I wrote and asked him if he would be kind enough to share with me where the information had come from and how he had been able to verify the details. He mailed back by return - sorry, he couldn't help, he had put the record on his tree because it was the one he'd found on the internet which MIGHT be right! With 57,000+ people on his tree, there was no way HE had time to CHECK any of the information. He then added he'd be very grateful if I'd look through his tree and point out any errors and pass on relevant "corrections!!"
                He had obviously downloaded info from several trees and added it to his own, replicating the same "errors" as were in the other trees. I'd been a bit confused at first by the details he had put for his immediate nearest and dearest. The names of his deceased grandmother and grandfather-in-law were my aunt and her husband, and the names of his in-laws were those of my deceased cousin and his wife (possibly still living.) However, for his own wife he had recorded her with the birth name of D, but with the added initials MMW. The D that I knew of certainly didn't have those added forenames. I googled and came across further internet posts he'd made, in which he referred to his wife as D, "My Miss World." MMW suddenly fell into place I never did find out about the origins of "Uncle Bob;" however, I did have an amusing and entertaining afternoon, which brought a smile to my face! And no, I didn't sort out his tree for him - wouldn't have known where to start on that one.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Janet in Yorkshire Oh dearie me what a numptie he was. I can see the funny side but I probably wouldn’t have just after having spent loads of time on a wild goose chase.
                  This chap has a few people in his tree who were born outwith marriage (himself included) some of whom have two known parents, some only the mother. Some were extra marital affairs, some were short term relationships that ended when pregnancy was announced and going by the number of half siblings around some were very short indeed. All these events are from the time of the man whose parents are wrongly attached down to the present day.
                  I am intrigued by what he means by a “former” relative. One who is now deceased or one who through divorce or other parting of the ways is no longer considered to be family?
                  Either way, it’s a complicated set of family dynamics and I’m content that at least I know where he fits and the connection my family.
                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-12-21, 13:35.

Comment

Working...
                  X