What's your next move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teasie View Post
    I'm very surprised you think this, as there are LOADS of Durham/Northumberland records available online, including a lot of free ones on Familysearch like Durham Marriage Bonds & Allegations, and Durham Diocese Bishop's Transcripts.
    i've looked at all those sites. They either don't have known records, or don't cover the parts of durham i need. My family lived in shildon/bishop auckland and darlington mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      I am surprised that by now more isn't on line, guess FMP have been investing heavily on 1921, and Ancestry seem slow to add UK records generally.
      i think FMP is trying to keep up with ancestry, and tbh doesn't look like it has much in way of funds. They keep chasing americans by adding their catholic american records, have lost most image contracts to ancestry (westminster, wales etc images now on ancestry and just transcripts on FMP), they thought the 1939 register would be lucrative but seems to be a flop. 1921 census will earn some money, once they recoup costs.

so instead of adding parish records from UK, they are chasing american subscribers with american records. And ancestry hasn't added much lately either, but has been busy acquiring companies.

would be smart of ancestry to invest in south american or european records, such as germany, italy, spain etc all countries large swathes of americans/canadians/australians are descended from. But they just dabble here and there. Hardly any areas of interest for my german ancestry is online.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

um order direct from the GRO? or is there a particular reason that you don't want to order from there?
        I prefer to order direct from local office just in case there’s any wee extra notes that didn’t make it to GRO version. Plus it keeps the local registrar’s coffers topped up.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Janet in Yorkshire
          I have a marriage certificate that I want for a couple who married in a church in Gateshead but oddly the entry does not show up on the council’s online cert ordering database. I phoned them up to ask if I could order direct from them over the phone but kept being told that I should order online. I just could not get her to understand that I couldn’t order it online because it was not coming up in my search results. I didn’t get put through to the registstar’s office either so I could explain to them what the problem was and ask if they could add the missing entry to the database and I would quite happily wait a bit and try online ordering again. I was being stonewalled and was also told that no family history certificate applications were being accepted by the registrar’s office due to covid. I said I did not expect that they would as the same restictions were in place in many registration offices and all I wanted was the opportunity to ask them to look into getting a missing entry number uploaded so I could order online. Still a firm “no”. So then I tried asking her if she would contact them internally about the problem. Still no joy so I gave up.
          or try using an on line 'contact us' they are often managed by different people. find one that maybe is entitled 'problems with website', odd emails would land on my desk if no takers and I would take it up with dept.
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 24-11-21, 10:27.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks. Will look when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

i've looked at all those sites. They either don't have known records, or don't cover the parts of durham i need. My family lived in shildon/bishop auckland and darlington mostly.
              That's where my husband's family are from, and not far at all from where we now live. I've managed to find a lot of online records for them, so if there's anything in particular you're looking for feel free to post it up & I'll see if I can help.

Comment

What about pre-1800 records? Those are hard enough, but what about pre-1700 records? The Baptism/Marriage/Burial records lack enough detail to be certain that it's your peep, assuming you can find anything at all. And if they were just a "labourer" - well, good luck with that.

I do think that there are records out there that are being missed out. I've gained a lot from accessing London Company records, but those aren't usually online (London Freedoms on Ancestry helped a lot). I keep wondering about school records for my g'grandmother and her sibs who would have gone to school in Bristol &/or Crediton.

Comment

GallowayLass Searched every which way. They've missed that one. Don't want to encroach on the thread but can see Thomas and Margaret nee Drake in Pennsylvania. Thomas death informant, Margaret, gives father of Thomas as Joseph. She did not know maiden name of mother

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                      What about pre-1800 records? Those are hard enough, but what about pre-1700 records? The Baptism/Marriage/Burial records lack enough detail to be certain that it's your peep, assuming you can find anything at all. And if they were just a "labourer" - well, good luck with that.

I do think that there are records out there that are being missed out. I've gained a lot from accessing London Company records, but those aren't usually online (London Freedoms on Ancestry helped a lot). I keep wondering about school records for my g'grandmother and her sibs who would have gone to school in Bristol &/or Crediton.
                      Last night wdytya they had the wage records of an ancestor, which was nice to see, they never seem to tell you where they came from, or did I miss that.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

cbcarolyn I didn’t hear it said either but the presumption was company records. It seems it’s the BT Archive. See 3rd complete para on page 2 of this document

Comment

cbcarolyn I didn’t hear it said either but the presumption was company records. It seems it’s the BT Archive. See 3rd complete para on page 2 of this document

it's this sort of thing that I wouldn't have thought of and wouldn't even know about researching it. need to do more out of the box thinking.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

cbcarolyn Just occasionally, the stuffing between my ears fires on all cylinders

Comment

GallowayLass Sorry, I don't know how I missed your long post at #18, but I did!

Interesting that the other couple on the same page are also not listed on the Gateshead site (John Stafford & Mary Henderson).

You may find it easier - and cheaper - to order the original (church) copy direct from Durham Records Office: http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk...arriagesAnchor

For £5 you can have a "Quick Search" which includes a photocopy or microfilm print, scanned and sent as an email attachment. £7 for a 'digital copy upgrade'

Fees here: https://recordofficeshop.durham.gov.uk/pgQuickSearch

I've ordered through them a few times and they were great, although only pre-covid so I don't know what things are like currently.

Comment

A few weeks ago, I messaged my 502nd match having already worked out who it is. I know from certs, he has gone wrong with one man and attached him to the wrong parents. I was hoping to find out why he had those parents in his tree - just in case the birth cert. I had for the man contained fibs, which is not unknown Sadly it seems I am not going to find out. If he's happy with such slapdash and unverified tree building and not interested in being handed the correct info on a plate then there's not a lot I can do to help. If he had expressed an interest, I'd have happily given him copies of what documentation I have.

My message (full names replaced here with initials);

Hello _____,
                                You appeared on my match list last week and although our shared DNA isn't that big, I have worked out that we are 3rd cousins twice removed.
                                Your Gt. Granny I.E.'s father T.E. was a son of W.E. and M.S.
                                M.S. aka M.M. on a couple of censuses was one of four illegitimate daughters of A.S. before she married my 2xGt. Grandfather J. M. My Gt. Grandfather (another J.) was their first legitimate child.
                                I am a bit puzzled though by the parents you have in your tree for H.B. 1916-1976 husband of I.E. Could you let me know where you got that info please?
                                Best regards,

His reply;
                                I linked my tree to a former relative so it may not be fully accurate.
                                sorry I can't help any further

Comment

Ah well, you can't win them all. Clearly he's lost interest!

I'm intrigued to know how you know he is your 502nd match and what exactly that means. Is it something useful I could use?

Anne

Comment

On ancestry, there is a count of your matches underneath your details on your DNA homepage. This count is only for matches in the category 4th cousins and closer. Right down to the minimum size of match that ancestry counts, I have 32,809. Yikes!

Comment

GallowayLass I guess they have lost interest like Anne says, maybe lack of time too. At least he replied, plenty don't.

He might come back to it one day and be disappointed that he didn't gather more info.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

On ancestry, there is a count of your matches underneath your details on your DNA homepage. This count is only for matches in the category 4th cousins and closer. Right down to the minimum size of match that ancestry counts, I have 32,809. Yikes!
                                        Must need to go to Specsavers, I'm not seeing a count. It says I have 391 matches over 20 cM but it doesn't count each one as far as I can see.
                                        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                          GallowayLass I guess they have lost interest like Anne says, maybe lack of time too. At least he replied, plenty don't.

He might come back to it one day and be disappointed that he didn't gather more info.
                                          He hasn’t been a member for long (March this year) His tree has 147 persons but it’s not the only one with the same error. Somebody got it wrong and others have just copied and pasted. At least he was not the one who first uploaded the error. A shame really as at 25 he fits the profile for Generation Z, the age group we would hope to encourage.

Comment

Working...
                                          X