searching for ireland records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching for ireland records

I need some assistance on how to research 2 Great Grandfathers, one on my mothers maternal side and one on her paternal side

Patrick Joseph O'Flynn b abt 1852 Cork Ireland, father William Galvan O'Flynn mother Ellen Russell.
    Parents and birth place are mentioned on Marriage and death certificate for Patrick.

Michael Deveney (some variation on spelling) b abt 1850-1854 father James Deveney Mother Bridget Hines
    Parents and birth place listed on death and marriage certificates for Michael

If anyone can point me in the right direction so i can research these people in UK ??? Ireland and any sites I can use, because I am at the stage that I need to look outside Australia to complete my tree

Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

This is a good place to start

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

Comment

Irish parish records are free on findmypast, it's worth looking there too.

Comment

Patrick Flyn bapt South Parish Cork 24 Mar 1852, parents Wm Flyn, Ellen Russell
        (see https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/) check Church Records. Image also available

Beverley

Comment

Ancestry has this: Michl Diviny, bapt 4 Dec 1852 Galway , Kinvara, Ireland, father James Diviny, mother Bridt Hynes

Any good?

Beverley

Comment

Thanks

GallowayLass
            Thanks for link I have book marked it and will use it to do more research

Macbev
            I have the Patrick record (very hard to read)
            The Michael Baptism I don't have and will do some more digging

Kylejustin
            I have used my free trial on FMP and to go any further they require a subscription of $132 to $300 which I will consider later

I have done most of my research thru Family Tree 2017 + 2019 and any BDM sites available but now I am having to research overseas it is getting more challenging
            especially when you don't know what areas are close to where the people come from, but I'm learning
            Brian
            researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
              Thanks

I have done most of my research thru Family Tree 2017 + 2019 a
              I am not sure what you mean on this, is this the hints from Ancestry? I can see that there are lots of Irish records on there, do you have this access?

the Michael diviny that Macbev spotted is Ancestry.

I have only looked at Irish records for trees on here, and there seems to be a wider problem with names, eg o' is sometimes dropped or joined, 'mc' similar story, indexing doesn't always cope so well with apostrophes, some are in latin,

Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If it's Ancestry you have been using almost exclusively, then you may have been missing many records. Just because it doesn't appear on Ancestry doesn't mean the record does not exist. It does get expensive to use several web sites but spreading the net wide will definitely catch more records. Then there are all the millions of records that have not yet made it to any database at all ... sadly not much use if you live so far away from accessing local archives.

On another note the Irish handwriting in records is almost always awful! Also quite often it is in Latin which has been abbreviated at the whim of the person recording the record. Good luck with your research. You have the big advantage of Australian death and marriage certificates which name your ancestors. Those of us in the UK often lack even that snippet of information!!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                  Ancestry has this: Michl Diviny, bapt 4 Dec 1852 Galway , Kinvara, Ireland, father James Diviny, mother Bridt Hynes

Any good?
                  Source is Catholic Parish Records: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/v...ge/49/mode/1up
                  Unfortunately the entry doesn't give much information. Does your Deveny/Diviny family come from Galway? I noticed a few entries for this name that seemed to live in Gort, Galway

Beverley

Comment

Anne
                    I think it is Ancestry that Family Tree uses via the green leaf hints and that is how i do most of my searching plus BDM sites in Australia NZ GRO Trove NLA etc
                    I agree that the Irish records are usually very hard to read and some of the people giving information were illiterate and as i understand the record keepers thought they new better
                    than the people giving the information
                    Australia is a little better in the records but they are still riddled with mistranscriptions and incorrect information, my DEVENEY has been spelt 7 different ways.

Macbev
                    Yes my Deveney comes from Galway (KINVARRA) and Michael is the correct person .I will delve into the link you provided shortly after i do some chores my wife has given me.
                    That spelling of Deveney as Diviney is one of the many variations i have encountered.

Thanks for the assistance and i will keep looking
                    Brian

Comment

Working...
                    X